Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a Patriachial System?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 5:41pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.
    I'm giving a presentation tomorrow on the political economy of India.
    I've been watching everyone else give their presentations over the last week and one question they keep getting is 'Is theirs a patriarchial system?'
    Now, I really don't think it means men having the power, as is the usual meaning of patriarchial society. From the answers it sounds more like, is the government mothering the people, social democracy type thing.
    Anyone have any idea?

Also, anyone familiar with India? I've gotten just about all the answers I think I need. Only one more I may get is; Where does the power balance lie? Politicians and businessmen. Hmm....
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ahhh you could be right!
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

A social democracy is a good example of a paternalistic system. It may or may not be described as patriarchal, depending on the role that women play in it.
    This, but to be fair that could also be called Maternalistic which would probly suit more as the state is seen as "Mothering" the people.

Advertisement