Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra Vision rant

Options
  • 22-04-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Myself and the OH went to get something in XV last night, she finally found something to use a (christmas present) gift card for. The value of the card was €20 and the item was €24.99 - so she presents the card and a tenner. We were chatting away and the guy behind the counter gives us back the card but no change.
    OH - "Where's my change?"
    XV - "Oh, I left €5.01 on the gift card for you"
    OH - "What did you do that for?"
    XV - "I thought that's what you wanted me to do"
    There were some heated words and I asked if the card could just be emptied and given the money back
    XV - "No, sorry, there's nothing I can do"
    We then left when the imbecile had exhausted his sorry's and nothing I can do's, no point argueing with an idiot.

Is this just genuine stupidity or some underhanded way to get us back into the shop - the card obviously can't be used anywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Heated words over a fiver?

If you asked politely he could void the transaction and re do it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Myself and the OH went to get something in XV last night, she finally found something to use a (christmas present) gift card for. The value of the card was €20 and the item was €24.99 - so she presents the card and a tenner. We were chatting away and the guy behind the counter gives us back the card but no change.
    OH - "Where's my change?"
    XV - "Oh, I left €5.01 on the gift card for you"
    OH - "What did you do that for?"
    XV - "I thought that's what you wanted me to do"
    There were some heated words and I asked if the card could just be emptied and given the money back
    XV - "No, sorry, there's nothing I can do"
    We then left when the imbecile had exhausted his sorry's and nothing I can do's, no point argueing with an idiot.

Is this just genuine stupidity or some underhanded way to get us back into the shop - the card obviously can't be used anywhere else.

I wouldn't have stood for that. Shop manager, then letter of complaint. Only a fiver I hear you say, but how much is a stamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Heated words over a fiver?

If you asked politely he could void the transaction and re do it.

It wasn't the money.

He was asked politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

ya i worked in x-vision for a while and he was only being smart he should not have done it 5 or 50 i would not have let him get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Looks like xv did it backwards. He took the tenner first and balance on the card instead of the other way around. Sounds like they were in another world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

like most xtravision staff, asleep at the wheel. but i would also wonder if this is xtravision policy to get you back into the store to spend the balance of the card or simply throw it out, either way xtravision are benefiting from the staffs stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Heated words over a fiver?QUOTE]

A fiver in your pocket is better than in theirs!

You did right, it was your money no matter how much.

Typical Xtra Vision staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Maybe it was a simple mistake and he/she genuinely thought they couldn't correct it.

I doubt that the person behind the counter has any stake/interest on making you come back to the store, it's not likely that they are the owner and getting a cut of the transactions. (Unless it's an owner imposed store policy)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rgfuller wrote: »
    Maybe it was a simple mistake and he/she genuinely thought they couldn't correct it.

I doubt that the person behind the counter has any stake/interest on making you come back to the store, it's not likely that they are the owner and getting a cut of the transactions. (Unless it's an owner imposed store policy)...
    then it is poor or no staff training that is benefiting xtravision and managers of these places are always looking for any small way to put cash in the tills so it is probably store policy imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stone Grabber

I wouldn't have stood for that. He's clearly an idiot - I wouldn't have left the shop until I got my €5 back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

foggy_lad wrote: »
    then it is poor or no staff training that is benefiting xtravision and managers of these places are always looking for any small way to put cash in the tills so it is probably store policy imo

The world would be a truly awful place if everyone was as evil as you think they are. Someone on the thread has already said that he worked there and it was not policy

Advertisement