Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will radio supply the Late Late with a host?

• 22-04-2009 6:16pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Late Late's format has often, and by many, been said to be out of date. This has been said for 15 years. 15 years is a long, long wake and perhaps news of its demise have (and will be) greatly exaggerated.

It's not going to be scrapped. It will be re-presented. But will they hire from radio and if so who would get your vote?

I'd opt for either D'arcy or Moncrieff. Both rather different than each other. D'arcy could bring an audience affability, a sense and interest of the absurd and an empathy with his subjects.
    Moncrieff has shown a very good ability to do his research and (more importantly) take on his researchers information and understand varying topics in broad outline. Just enough to feed his subjects which allows them to develop their stories.

I appreciate that this is the radio forum, but as the hiring will more than likely come from radio and this thread could stop other threads from veering off onto guesses as to who is going to get the job then I think it's relevant to this forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Looks like Meeeriam with the rack and the frozen smile is quids in for the job.

The 'bant, bad and all as he is, won't be tuning in either to do a bit of fapping or expecting entertainment.

Her accent will kill me,the dropped "ts" the D4 angle, the feeling that there is just too much media in her background and family will ensure the Flutt won't be an avid fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Mmmmm.....bit of a conundrum there all right.

Darcy or Moncreif ..no don't think so...Darcy for me too bland..too likely to take the line of least resistance...also deserted the RTE ship..management fookoos there lave long memories.

Moncreif...noooooo...hasn't got a Television face....no great personality neither...would find it hard to warm to him..the fookoos know this.

O'Callaghan...I think not ..the uber D4 girl can jiggle her assets anyway she likes...but the fookoos know she is just not right for the late late.

Theres a strong inside rumor that "The Birdman" is being recalled from DC to host the flagship show.

Remember you heard it first from the Crown.....:cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I fear you're right FB it could be swinging her way. Wouldn't rate her in the least. She's like a MILF version of a Bratz doll.

Fult you're right with Moncreif. Hasn't the looks for it. He looks quite peeky whenever he's been on the gogglebox. I thought perhaps it was the vacuum valves acting up in my old CRT. But now you've 2nded it I'll go with you.

Darcy though has the mug for it. I think I'd still opt for him if I was DG.

Interesting news on the Bird. I can't abide the chap myself. Well I do enjoy his reports from 1000 miles away from the action, but purely for my own jollies and nothing to do with his reportage.

I had a good think on G. Ryan. Ryan to me is like one of those very annoying yet occassionally funny (and right) work colleagues. He does for stirring and raising spirits in sluggish mornings but by twelve you'd be hiding in the filing cabinet to get away from him.
    He's the kinda guy that rubs a lot of people up the wrong way and even those that do smile at/appreciate him now and again don't really want him in their local after work let alone on their TV on a Friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

if its miriam i wont be tunning in. at least with pat u could have something unexpected happen and cringe/laugh. he never asked good questions, the pete doherty 'interview' was his worst. i cant stand when ian o doherty is used for those debates.

what was the deal with gay byrne and sinead o connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maggiemae

i am all for Moncrieff having a go at it. Sure his previous telly wasn't up to much but his radio show on Friday afternoons are great and I could see this translating well to something like the Late Late Show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Charlie Bird would be worse than Pat. He is also just starting a new job, so I couldn't imagine him changing again so soon.

Miriam is great on PrimeTime but the few times I saw her show, I thought she was very uncomfortable.

I think the younger folks like Moncrieff or D'Arcy are a bit too young for it and don't have the gravitas. You'd expect them to be making prank phone-calls or something!

I wonder would Marian Finucane take it on? I think she would be great.

The TV reviewer in the Irish Times review of the week said that when you are watching Gay on his latest show that it is obvious that he (in contrast to Pat) enjoys chatting with people. I don't get that easy relaxed air with CB or MC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just read this thread now... Charlie Bird is being considered??? :eek: As far as I'm concerned, America is not far enough away to have him.

As for Miriam, she's staggeringly good on Prime Time, but it's horses for courses - she just doesn't have the cosy relaxed style that the Late Late needs. She'd be a disaster.

What do people think of Philip Boucher-Hayes? A bit of an outsider, but I'd give it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Anybody but Charlie.

The show is sh no good anyway.

You must be joking with PBH.

All I can say is the heads up on Bird came from a very well placed source..me I don't rate the chap at all outside his chief reporter brief.

Miriam is getting increasingly brassy and that uber D4 Mount Onville occent even more grating - her eyes are very close together too.

Darc'y ? Noooo - too laid back and... well a bit of a tractor boy.

No for me I'd plump for the Tubs - has the pedigree..can play the straight and the funny..plenty of energy and ambition.

Phillip Boucher Hayes...no mate .....his boat has left the harbour..will joust with Fregal Kean to bring us the goings on from various elections and the Dublin courts.

Trust me ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I honestly think Twink would do a better job than Miriam O Callaghan or any of the other contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Of all the people mentioned, I really really hope it isn't Charlie Bird. He's fine as a reporter but he is not a television personality. That show where he went up the Amazon made him look like a whinger. I didn't care for him much on Who Do You Think You Are when he traced his roots. He was woeful hosting The Panel. Charlie don't do light entertainment.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Of all the people mentioned, I really really hope it isn't Charlie Bird. He's fine as a reporter but he is not a television personality. That show where he went up the Amazon made him look like a whinger. I didn't care for him much on Who Do You Think You Are when he traced his roots. He was woeful hosting The Panel. Charlie don't do light entertainment.

Agree horse...yeah what you say is ...uh...pretty accurate hey !

Host of late is a major plum job..I say a major plumb job..you can bet the fookoos will tread carefully on this one...I say they will tread carefully..

You must remember Bird is an insider... one of the old school ..one of THEM ..ifn you catch my drift.

Do not rule him out....Mark Little of prime time is another dark hoss i heard mention of...but unlikely ...I say very unlikely.

now look ..it's Tubbs... Ok ? Done deal ....I say DONE DEAL ..

Well there you go. Fulton was spot on in his selection.

I can't abide the chap myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm just glad it isn't Charlie Bird :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tubbers was on the verge of tears as he thanked everyone who congratulated him near and far.

humberklog wrote: »
    Well there you go. Fulton was spot on in his selection.

I can't abide the chap myself.

Thanks Humber..the antenna was fairly good on this one ..but the "Birdman" scuttlebutt was spooking me a bit.

Was fairly sure the others mentioned were not realistic contenders.

Not mad on Tubbs myself..particularly the radio show..but he is a competent entertainment show presenter and can mix the serious / trivial.

Im sure you have noticed the huge "D4 type" representation in the news/ current affairs area of the station.

I believe this is because the senior fookoos all live in reasonable proximity to Montrose and send their offspring to the Blackrocks / Willow Park / Mt Anville/ Gonzaga / Loreto Foxrock etc.

They then tend to employ "similiar" background people..I'm surprised some of the equality agencies have not taken up this one.

No regional diversity let alone ethnic representation ??? Strange

mike65 wrote: »
    Tubbers was on the verge of tears as he thanked everyone who congratulated him near and far.

It was as though he'd won something rather than earned it. Which is about right.

But as Fulton correctly nailed the situation (re-hiring talents) the dice were seriously loaded in his favour.

Well, in favour of car crash tv over quality entertainment- let the games continue...just wish they'd given the gig to someone less smug. RTE's after cementing his erroneous notions of his own abilities (and his likeableness).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Im sure you have noticed the huge "D4 type" representation in the news/ current affairs area of the station.

I hadn't noticed to be honest but now that you mentioned it, it is so obvious. Our equivalent to the BBC being full of "ex-pubilc schoolboy types."

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed to be honest but now that you mentioned it, it is so obvious. Our equivalent to the BBC being full of "ex-pubilc schoolboy types."

Well not really as the Beeb made big changes about 20+ years ago to introduce regional and social diversity across its Talents. At about that time RTE made the reverse decision.

I was thinking particularly about Radio 5 live where Richard Allen, Simon Mayo, Nicky campell, Victoria Derbyshire, Mark Pougatch, Richard Bacon, Rhod Short, Eleanor Oldroyd, Mark Saggers..etc all went to private or independent schools. I have never really listened to BBC4 but I imagine it would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Re the original question (thread title) IMHO it was always a foregone conclusion that not only would it be a "radio host", but it would be an RTE Radio 1 host...

The reason ? All the free advertising that Kenny gave his radio show.....RTE would have cottoned on to that by now and would have realised that they weren't going to give it up....

I was thinking particularly about Radio 5 live where Richard Allen, Simon Mayo, Nicky campell, Victoria Derbyshire, Mark Pougatch, Richard Bacon, Rhod Short, Eleanor Oldroyd, Mark Saggers..etc all went to private or independent schools. I have never really listened to BBC4 but I imagine it would be the same.

Yeah I see where you're coming from Dead but a lot of those names are long serving in the industry and of course it wouldn't make sense disciminate against the middle classes therefore there is still hiring from that social group (when the talent's there). However there was discrimination against people with lower social and regional accents in the past in the BBC. David Attenborough has spoken well about this in interviews. On the whole they have moved on.

I had my eye more on BBC TV and RI and R2 moreso than R4+5.

RTE has in my view taken up the opposite cause.

I don't doubt the fact that cronyism has a greater influence in RTE than it does in the BBC.

I don't doubt the fact that cronyism has a greater influence in RTE than it does in the BBC.

I don't think I'd pile it all into the cronyism pile though.
    Snobbery and lazy stereotypical typecasting is where I'd lay it more at with RTE.

Advertisement