Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muntjak problem!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Actually, what do they taste like?

Here muntie, muntie, muntie! :D

Delicious apparently, but do not shoot them with a .223; get something bigger. I've a .25-06 on the way which I'm sorting paperwork for at the moment and would be only too happy to help you out if they're on your land and I'm probably right beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Excellent.... progress at last!!

Here muntie, muntie, muntie!!!!

Some claim they respond to roe calls, any ideas?

Excellent.... progress at last!!

Here muntie, muntie, muntie!!!!

Some claim they respond to roe calls, any ideas?

If you want, I should have that rifle during the summer and will happily look for muntjac on your land, but do not shoot them with the .223.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

If you want, I should have that rifle during the summer and will happily look for muntjac on your land, but do not shoot them with the .223.

PM me when you have it please.

Think you are the opposite end of the lake as me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭like to hunt

just down the road from u west . south side i will seat in next few evenings and see is it true and get some photos. if real..

it is hard to make liveing from the land.
    have green wellies myself.

or i mite shoot 1 if u want have liance..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Spotted my first Munjac on Sunday! On the bike coming over Carrickashane mountain near Aughavannagh. He was in an open bit of grass between the road and the forestry. I thought it was a big hare at first when he bounded up out of the grass.

Surprised to see them this far up from Avoca already!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Delicious apparently, but do not shoot them with a .223; get something bigger. I've a .25-06 on the way which I'm sorting paperwork for at the moment and would be only too happy to help you out if they're on your land and I'm probably right beside you.

why not? they're even smaller than roe deer for which a .223 is perfectly OK ...

lordarpad wrote: »
    why not? they're even smaller than roe deer for which a .223 is perfectly OK ...

Because it's illegal. Simple as that. And the debate on .223 for roe is ongoing. England and Wales say no, while Scotland says yes. Plenty of American states allow .223 for hunting of deer species, but I wouldn't want to use it for whitetail or mule deer, personally. For what it's worth, with properly constructed bullets it would probably be ideal for muntjac, but the bottom line is that it is absolutely not legal here.

Because it's illegal. Simple as that. And the debate on .223 for roe is ongoing. England and Wales say no, while Scotland says yes. Plenty of American states allow .223 for hunting of deer species, but I wouldn't want to use it for whitetail or mule deer, personally. For what it's worth, with properly constructed bullets it would probably be ideal for muntjac, but the bottom line is that it is absolutely not legal here.

true enough. For argument's sake Germany permits everything from .222 upwards on roe deer. For anything else it's gotta be at least a 6.5mm. I don't think one should throw the small deer species in with the rest. I have seen the quote repeatedly "it looked like a big hare", well, a hare you can shoot with a .17 HMR or Hornet no prob. So I fail to see the point to be quite honest. In ireland if it became an issue I'd most likely get a .22-250.

true enough. For argument's sake Germany permits everything from .222 upwards on roe deer. For anything else it's gotta be at least a 6.5mm. I don't think one should throw the small deer species in with the rest.

Again, for what it's worth, I don't disagree; I just don't have enough information or experience to judge the efficacy of smaller calibres on smaller deer species.2
    I have seen the quote repeatedly "it looked like a big hare", well, a hare you can shoot with a .17 HMR or Hornet no prob.

And again, not in Ireland you couldn't; shotgun only. Besides, it's ignoring differences in bodily structure, mass, bone structure and musculature.
    So I fail to see the point to be quite honest. In ireland if it became an issue I'd most likely get a .22-250.

It's the law. It doesn't become less valid for being stupid. We're a country with a developing population of small deer where there hasn't been one before. Perhaps in time our laws will change to reflect this and allow smaller calibres for their killing. However, for the time being, we must adhere to the law.

The .22-250 is a great round, and if I were getting something for foxes and corvids, it'd be top of my list, along with perhaps a .243, which begs the question, why? Get the .243 and do everything with it, from foxes to red deer. .308 is well regarded for small deer species too because it doesn't rip them up the way the .243 does, so if it's deer only, why not get that? .22-250 is not a deer round, and there are better tools for the job across the board, even if it does perform admirably on smaller deer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

true enough. For argument's sake Germany permits everything from .222 upwards on roe deer. For anything else it's gotta be at least a 6.5mm. I don't think one should throw the small deer species in with the rest. I have seen the quote repeatedly "it looked like a big hare", well, a hare you can shoot with a .17 HMR or Hornet no prob. So I fail to see the point to be quite honest. In ireland if it became an issue I'd most likely get a .22-250.

Wrong afaik you cannot shoot a hare with a rifle of any calibre shotgun only I think.

And again, not in Ireland you couldn't; shotgun only. Besides, it's ignoring differences in bodily structure, mass, bone structure and musculature.

care to show me that in the law? ;-) As regards deer, I am debating whether the law is sensible, not offering to disobey it. I find this a legitimate debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Rosahane wrote: »
    Spotted my first Munjac on Sunday! On the bike coming over Carrickashane mountain near Aughavannagh. He was in an open bit of grass between the road and the forestry. I thought it was a big hare at first when he bounded up out of the grass.

Surprised to see them this far up from Avoca already!

i have been shooting that area for 12 years from the top of lug,brown hill glenmalure, dromgoff ,ballinacor its self, roshashane.and know almost every one stalking the area none of us have seen any muntjac in that area .

pity you did not get a picture of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

foxhunter wrote: »
    Wrong afaik you cannot shoot a hare with a rifle of any calibre shotgun only I think.

Spot on. They can only be taken with a shotgun in season and with a permit from National parks and wildlife if your taking them with a greyhound, this usally only applies to greyhound coursing clubs.

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

jwshooter wrote: »
    i have been shooting that area for 12 years from the top of lug,brown hill glenmalure, dromgoff ,ballinacor its self, roshashane.and know almost every one stalking the area none of us have seen any muntjac in that area .

pity you did not get a picture of it .

Defo a Munjac. Young stag I think. Just at Ballinagappoge on the road over the mountain heading down to Aughavannagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Some of us here could do with a trip to specsavers.;)

let them be till season... then we can get them.. if real????????????
    id say there will be a lot of sika calf shoot do..

i hunt to hole of wicklow and out and about all the time and i ant seen them..

you can hunt anywhere if its for ur plate.. ok not the parks.....

No season for muntjac. Can shoot them tomorrow if you see them and have your deer-legal calibre and deer licence.

ill hit one with the .300 w.m

no ill wait give them a chance to get over the summer and breed like mad..

oooohhhh yyyya i just cant wait...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:mad::D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

you can hunt any where if its for your plate ..ok not the park. .try telling that to a judge and see where it gets you.

• Advertisement

I HOPE you stay in that hole!!DURAK

No season for muntjac. Can shoot them tomorrow if you see them and have your deer-legal calibre and deer licence.
    And the shooting rights or course.

judge wont take food of my plate.

yes the hole of wicklow.

just cause so called builders and fools with there money.

pay for woods and land to shoot and in turn lease out again to some1 that wants to hunt and enjoy deer stalking...

stop me......

yes the hole of wicklow.

pay for woods and land to shoot and in turn lease out again to some1 that wants to hunt and enjoy deer stalking...

stop me......
    No problem,set a foot on my land and i will "stop you"
    ti loh pozornij!! ti sovsem nichego ne znaesh'!!!!!

kakashka wrote: »
    And the shooting rights or course.

Of course. That's so blindingly obvious that the vast majority don't need to be told it.

yes the hole of wicklow.

stop me......

You are not anonymous here. I would suggest you not admit to committing crimes on the internet, or you will quickly find that your guns are gone and you face a hefty fine and prison sentence.

And i'm sure the vast majority know that it was not directed at them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, can we row back a bit here on the "you're a poacher"/"I'm not, it's perfectly legal" crap? I'd rather not close the thread alltogether.

sorry sparks
    1 thing im no poucher there are enuf of them out there
    i have all my paper work up to scratch. tks

as i said i can shoot anywhere in wicklow,, where i have permision,, its good to be a farmer.

yes come in and shoot, no i dont want anything of you,, sure i get enuf of them others,,,,,

but i do not condone this practis... not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

sorry sparks
    1 thing im no poucher there are enuf of them out there
    i have all my paper work up to scratch. tks

as i said i can shoot anywhere in wicklow,, where i have permision,, its good to be a farmer.

yes come in and shoot, no i dont want anything of you,, sure i get enuf of them others,,,,,

but i do not condone this practis... not fair.

What does this mean? What is enuf and poucher

• Advertisement

well, a poucher is somebody who illegally puts game into his pouch ...

Advertisement