Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muntjak problem!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

The muntjak are getting more plentyful in my area. Observed 6 of them yesterday, 4.oopm off the L8347 between Blessington Lake and (private) forestry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Sounds like they might be here to stay!

That's a worry.... a gun club from outside the county has offered to come in to control them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I am sure there is people in this country with guns who wouldn't mind a chance to control them. Don't think we need to look outside the country for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I did see a munty at the end of the summer near Avoca while out after rabbits just before dusk. I can see how somebody could mistake them for a fox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

The muntjak are getting more plentyful in my area. Observed 6 of them yesterday, 4.oopm off the L8347 between Blessington Lake and (private) forestry.

hi westwicklow, would you mind a fully legal hunter coming up to have a look at those little deer, i'd gladly sort them out for you. i'd even skin and prep one of them for your dinner plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

he might raffle tickets.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    hi westwicklow, would you mind a fully legal hunter coming up to have a look at those little deer, i'd gladly sort them out for you. i'd even skin and prep one of them for your dinner plate.

It's good of you to offer poulo but there's a contigent arriving up from over the border in County Kildare. Just organised it tonight when out foxing. There more of a celebrity gun club than hunters I think but let's see how 4 of them get on during February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Im not calling anyone a liar but i find it funny how people have the camera's with them and post pics but the day they see Muntjac they leave it at home or something. Comment not based at anyone on here btw. But its easy say i seen this or that.

I know one fella who has seen a couple of things in the wild. Unfortunately he seen them the days he forgot the camera:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

It's good of you to offer poulo but there's a contigent arriving up from over the border in County Kildare. Just organised it tonight when out foxing. There more of a celebrity gun club than hunters I think but let's see how 4 of them get on during February.

ok i look forward to hearing how they get on, please keep me in mind if you need someone in the future,

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

your in hollywood, i am on the other side of you as well, no sign of them in my area.

Sure poulo6.5, will keep you posted.

In the meantime, if welsummer has a chat with some of the local agricultural community in or around the L8347, they may be in a position to clarify the munty situation.

take a picture of them or a track .if not .

I'll see can I get a pal to take photos as this isn't something I'm into myself but he's mad into it.

In the meantime, if welsummer has a chat with some of the local agricultural community in or around the L8347, they may be in a position to clarify the munty situation.[/QUOTE]

Hi westwicklow

is L8347 the vallymount/tulfarris /hollywood/ or donard road

welsummer wrote: »
    .......is L8347 the vallymount/tulfarris /hollywood/ or donard road

It's the small road (lane!) linking the Hollywood-Glendalough road to the Hollywood-Valleymount Road, running from Slievecurragh-Johnstown-Harristown-Ballintobber and over to Humphreystown area.

I think this says it all.......
    pichers1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Aggressive and uncivil posts and responses to them deleted.
    Please keep it civil folks.

And I think Dusty's nailed it, for what it's worth...

pictures of tracks ,if he seen 6 muntjac,unless the left by air craft the had ,thats had to leave tracks .

thats tracks , ie they dont walk on tarmac son .

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I think this says it all.......
    pichers1.jpg

what does it say .

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    what does it say .

Well John,
    Basically it says "This thread is no good without pichers (pictures)".
    Meaning its no good unless there is some proof.
    Which i think everyone wants at this stage.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Well John,
    Basically it says "This thread is no good without pichers (pictures)".
    Meaning its no good unless there is some proof.
    Which i think everyone wants at this stage.

excellent.

they will have to turn up in copper faced jacks for the townies to see them.

UCD will get another 10 years grants out of it . jobs for life for some of them .

jwshooter wrote: »
    excellent.

they will have to turn up in copper faced jacks for the townies to see them.

I wouldnt know, that place too good for me:p
    UCD will get another 10 years grants out of it . jobs for life for some of them .

What you mean?

So, who's available with a camera?

So, who's available with a camera?

I would only my lense wont zoom as far as the uk:p:D

Seriously WW, im sure theres someone around you who'd love to get the first pictures of muntjac down south. Might even get the name mention in the ould paper.

Zoom as far as the UK?

The natives would definately not be impressed by any appearance in the papers! That was a bad idea.

If you post a picture here its going to get out anyway.
    If you know where they are why not get someone to take picture and prove it? Honest question. Is it because it might bring poachers?
    I think there enough info given already if thats it.

True enough Dusty. There's plenty of poachers already!

talked to two guys today that hunt that area hard and neither of them have seen anything that resembles a muntjac and you have seen 6 in the one field. plenty of sika in the area.
    Hey westwicklow, do you know the difference between them.
    this is the second time that you have brought up about your area being over run with muntjac and yet guys that are out hunting the area have seen nothing.

WELL!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

stalkers in the uk rarely see that many muntys in a group ,as the bucks are very territorial .

they are not group feeders like sika,fallow .they are always on the move when feeding and favour cover ,not open pasture land.

im not saying the OP is talking crap, but the facts are tin on the ground .

Advertisement