Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muntjak problem!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Westwicklow, your claims would appear honest and creditworthy but without hard evidence (photos of muntjac with identifiable landscape features) most will doubt your claims. Some may even question your motives. I'll be the first to admit I've made some daft misidentifications of birds or animals. I'd see no shame in saying I wasn't 100%.

Could you let us know how far you were from these animals and whether they were stationary, on the move or bolting when you had seen them. Honestly I want to believe you!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

What are you saying?

I really don't mind what you believe, they constitute a local problem and we will deal with that.

welsummer wrote: »
    talked to two guys today that hunt that area hard and neither of them have seen anything that resembles a muntjac and you have seen 6 in the one field. plenty of sika in the area.
    Hey westwicklow, do you know the difference between them.
    this is the second time that you have brought up about your area being over run with muntjac and yet guys that are out hunting the area have seen nothing.

WELL!!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk to the hunters. As I told you, speak to the farmers.

Over run? Hardly. It's just they are unwelcome in any numbers locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

What are you saying?

I really don't mind what you believe, they constitute a local problem and we will deal with that.

the same thing as every one is saying, your ranting about fields full of muntjac and you cant get a picture of them or at the very least a picture of slots.

jwshooter wrote: »
    ranting about fields full of muntjac

Get a grip on yourself. You're being way too sensationalist.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info... very helpful. Seems there are quite a lot of "munties" seen in the local area. We wouldn't want them to take over now - would we? I can see local landowners, who don't wish to incur any further preventable loss of earnings through crop damage or animal loss through disease, getting to the point of reacting with some force against these unwanted creatures.

a bit like this post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

Hi westwicklow.
    i have sent you a picture of muntjac and sika so you can tell the difference in future.

All I'm saying is I'm unsure from your accounts of the likelyhood there is actually a muntjac population in your area. The notion of six muntjac in close proximity doesn't seem likely to me, thats why I enquired as to the the details.

There are several possibilities which are open. Perhaps another introduced deer species for instance. So there is no hidden meaning in what I said, I'm just curious as to what is on the ground.

If you are correct in your accounts, it won't take much to prove it as jw suggested.
    What are you saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hi westwicklow.
    i have sent you a picture of muntjac and sika so you can tell the difference in future.

Back to deer recognition class 101 for you Welsummer.Your second pic is a ROE DEER.:p:p

Pic attached.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Do muntjac only have the one point on each antler? I always thought that but cant find any info on the net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Back to deer recognition class 101 for you Welsummer.Your second pic is a ROE DEER.:p:p

Pic attached.

First pic isn't of sika either Griz. I assumed he was taking the piss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pic attached.

The first pic don't look much like Sika to me either.

Pic attached.

there elk if in the usa or maral if in asia

Pic attached.

Reminds me of a photo of a roe deer at Clara Vale in the Wicklow People sometime last year. Wait now i think it looked a bit like a sika.

Didn't want to say anything here but now that it's out, those in the know are aware of the Hollywood wapiti bulls.

here is some chinese and muntjac that we shot bedfordshire. England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

here is some chinese and muntjac that we shot bedfordshire. England

hi welsummer,

was that a paid weekend on some kind of an estate or are you lucky enough to have some friends in the right places.

either way how did you go about organizing something like that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

Dear WestWicklow,

Seriously, if you need any help, I would be more than happy to volunteer my services to cull a few mutjaks. In fact, I am always looking for a place to shoot.

On my deer license it says that it is open season on Muntjaks.

Would be more than happy to help. I wonder if they are good eating?

>was that a paid weekend on some kind of an estate or are you lucky enough to have some friends in the right places.

either way how did you go about organizing something like that:)[/QUOTE]
    Hi poulo,
    sorry about the delay in getting back to you.
    If you search the internet under muntjac shooting/stalking uk , there are lots of people advertising muntjac.
    unfortunatally some of them charge silly money. £80/£100 sterling per outing.
    thats one outing in the morning and one in the evening.
    most then charge on top of that for trophy fees, which i think is silly for such a small animal with such small antlers .
    we had good shooting on a estate in bedfordshire that use to only charge us £50 per outing and no trophy fees and that included chinese water deer.
    unfortunally the stalker has since died and a syndicate has taken over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

thanks for that. do you know weather they have an open season , i'll look that up now and i'll let you know what i come up with.

on a separate issue, I had the pleasure during the week of being invited to mayo to stalk red deer for the first time. i have to say it was a great day. i got 2, a doe and fawn together. my god they are big. we had to drag them about 1 & half k back to my jeep.

i have pic's how do i go about putting them up

no season for muntjac, but dont go after march as the under growth is too high and you wount see them

• Advertisement
Advertisement