Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phones & Features - Past, Present & Future

• 22-04-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I was thinking of creating a thread like this for a few minutes now :D
    So basically it's asking people what phones they have had that were a real front runner, technology wise when launched to which we thought it couldn't get much better than this cool new shiny 088 phone etc :)

And of course what technologies are you looking forward to see being put into production and any concept phones that really get your taste buds going?

Let's drool over phones/technology past and present..... mmmm phones :P

Although I remember playing around with my friends really old Eircell analogue 088 Motorola, to which we were excited that we could type different things into the power on greeting (before text messaging), my first mobile was the Panasonic GD30 PANASONIC_GD-30.jpgand I loved it. It was probably about 9 years ago, and I remember being really excited about having 10 contacts at the time. Aww I was only young :p I loved everything about it, and had a nice "leather" case for it too, and the buttons made a print on the plastic of the case. God I didn't want a scratch on it.

Millions of phones later (slight exaggeration) I now sport a Blackberry Bold rim-blackberry-bold-smartphone.jpg which, although not a real market leader in terms of technology, is still a pretty good handset - love it. I have heard a Blackberry rep saying it has one of the highest resolution screens on the market, along with the Curve.

So what technology do I want to see next? Looking forward to LTE becoming a reality and it would be cool to get a proper projector into a mainstream handset too :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

I'm looking forward to:
    Continuous improvements to UIs.
    Better battery life (something which really suffers in high-end, feature-packed phones).
    More memory/
    faster processors.
    Wimax/competition for HSDPA.
    DVB-H.
    Projector functionality.
    Better text input solutions.
    Better integration of GPS and data in apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The GD30 was gas phone. Very light i remember, for its time anyway. Also had the option to record your voice as a ring tone which was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Davy wrote: »
    The GD30 was gas phone. Very light i remember, for its time anyway. Also had the option to record your voice as a ring tone which was funny

Oh the excitement of putting the phone next to the radio to record a ringtone with your hand over the aerial so it didnt interfere as much.

Remember the operator logos for Nokia's back in the day. I specifically remember having an Eminem one :rolleyes: and one of my friends had a rude picture haha.

Advertisement