Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane Confirmed as new Ipswich Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kensutz will be amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Keano is back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

ah good old Roy Keane, continues to incite people and reduce grown men to bickering.
    Good luck Roy on your next job, I hope you do well as wishing mis-fortune on anyone is childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Xavi6 wrote: »

In fairness to him though he obviously knows his level and has gone back to it.

he's only in management "5 minutes"

not a bad level to be at, when you've all ready won the league in your first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's true though. I wouldn't have been at all surprised to have seen him get the Portsmouth job or something similar come the summer, despite the hash he made of Sunderland.

In fairness to him though he obviously knows his level and has gone back to it.

As much as I would have not liked it. I was hoping he would get the City Job in the summer.

Would be interesting to see you back peddle on that one, even though you did set backwards world speed records on Sven! Hows the campaign going by the way? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How many Irish people have you actually seen wearing Sunderland jerseys?

I've seen a good few walking around in Sunderland jerseys. Not as many as the ridiculousness of the rise in Chelsea jerseys over the past four or five years, but have still seen a few. It's died down a bit now.
    I have never seen anyone in an Ipswich jersey, but expect that to change!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Boggles wrote: »
    As much as I would have not liked it. I was hoping he would get the City Job in the summer.

Would be interesting to see you back peddle on that one, even though you did set backwards world speed records on Sven! Hows the campaign going by the way? ;)
    And don't forget Richard Dunne too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

'Hoolahan 14' on the back
    Wes is off to Palace in the summer if rumours are anything to go by.
    gucci wrote: »
    Wonder hav Ryanair set up the Dublin to Ipswich flights yet.....suppose Blackpool would be closest place?
    Jesus that's as bad as Jade Goody and her "East Angular" fiasco.
    mike65 wrote: »
    kensutz will be amused.
    Disgusted is the word. At least I have an official reason to hate Roy Keane now.

I think one united legend currently at the helm is enough for xavi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great... Get to see lots of Ipswich "fans" walking around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

And lots of abuse thrown at them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I would consider a buycott if it ever happened.

I know you're trying to wind me up but meh. As I said before, all I wanted was stability.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    I think one united legend currently at the helm is enough for xavi

Yep it's been a tough year.

Anyway, Royston, doomed to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Happy for Keano, a good challenge for him. Hopefully being groomed for the United job in a few years time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyway, Royston, doomed to fail.

If he does what he did for Sunderland his first season there it wouldn't be that bad for Ipswich.

But unless he reigns in that ego/develops empathy with human beings I can't see him being a long term success as a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'd say he'll have learned serious lessons from his Sunderland time. I'm not his biggest fan but he is a man of integrity at least, and I do hope he does well, but I'd echo the feelings of those in hoping that this doesn't turn into another bandwagon.

• Advertisement

Happy for Keano, a good challenge for him. Hopefully being groomed for the United job in a few years time ;)

Take off the red tinted glasses for a second.

Do you think Keane has what it takes to be the future of a club like United? Handle large amounts of money well? Deal with big name players/egos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Do you think Keane has what it takes to be the future of a club like United? Handle large amounts of money well? Deal with big name players/egos?

Not yet obviously, but he has only had a very short spell as a manager thus far. Ipswich will be the perfect opportunity for him to blossom. There was far too much hype with Sunderland after he came in with them having lost their first 4/5 games, and he had too much money to deal with. Hopefully he gets to build Ipswich from scratch and they don't come up in his first season there.

Did anyone think the same of Ferguson when he was managing East Sterling at 37 years of age?

It's impossible to know but it's a rather ridiculous question to ask.

If he was to walk into the job tomorrow, probably not.

He took a club who lost their first 5 matches to league champions in less than a year, he kept that club in the premiership (yes he spent money). he did everything sunderland asked of him with regards results and in a much shorter time than expected, if i was the guy that hired him i would call that success, he may have spent a lot of money but they earned a lot of money not just because they got into the prem but because roy being roy brings more attention, got more bums on seats got them "noticed" more, increased the sunderland "brand"

No one's saying he didn't make mistakes, everyone does, can he learn from them we're about to find out. The fact he's taken a job back in the championship when I'm pretty sure he's had other offers would suggest to me he wants to do it right learn the trade and probably feels what happened at sunderland happened far too quickly for someone in their first year of management.

his actions are not of a man to proud or too big of an ego, they're the actions of a man who is willing to learn from his mistakes.

Did anyone think the same of Ferguson when he was managing East Sterling at 37 years of age?

Did Fergie squander millions at East Stirling? Lose the dressing room?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

So, anybody any ideas on who'll he'll be taking from Sunderland and the United reserves/youths??

how do you know he lost the dressing room?

because one or two players said they got trained too hard? :rolleyes:

sunderland are pretty much where he left them if not worse.

So does the current manager not have the dressing room?

NO.

Did he do what no other first time manager has ever done in the modern era of professional football?

Keane had he's success's and failures, it's part of the learning curve.

how do you know he lost the dressing room?

because one or two players said they got trained too hard? :rolleyes:

It was well documented at the time. But bury your head in the sand and deny it if you want.
    sunderland are pretty much where he left them if not worse.

Due to the inadaquecies of a squad Keane built.
    So does the current manager not have the dressing room?

Haven't heard any stories suggesting he has. Have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It was probably just the Prima Donna's that were moaning. Stokes reckoned they overreacted. Good lad that Stokes.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/keane-gave-us-an-edge-says-stokes-1713504.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fair play to keane

really hope he does a brilliant job

article-1172733-049DB143000005DC-555_306x423.jpg

Pighead wrote: »
    It was probably just the Prima Donna's that were moaning. Stokes reckoned they overreacted. Good lad that Stokes.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/keane-gave-us-an-edge-says-stokes-1713504.html

Pfft, he probably just wants to be the first of the Irish brigade at Portman Road.

Pfft, he probably just wants to be the first of the Irish brigade at Portman Road.

Even if that is so, he wouldn't be the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jesus, what is the obsession with this gob****e?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Jesus, what is the obsession with this gob****e?

At a guess I would imagine it is football related?

• Advertisement

It was well documented at the time. But bury your head in the sand and deny it if you want.

I heard a few idiots moaning about they were trained to hard, sure.

he brought in some great players, he brought in some bad players

Haven't heard any stories suggesting he has. Have you?

Nope, I don't see any difference on the pitch tho and surely you would?

Nope, I don't see any difference on the pitch tho and surely you would?

So just like Keane, Sbragia is a bad manager? I can go with that.

it's pfft and excuses when the FACTS don't suit your argument.

it's pfft and excuses when the FACTS don't suit your argument.

It's amazing how a player's opinion becomes a FACT when you want it to suit your argument.

So just like Keane, Sbragia is a bad manager? I can go with that.

How does a "bad" manager take a team from the bottom of the championship 0 points after 5 games to league leaders and champions in less than a year?

how does a bad manager with such bad players stay in the premiership in his first year of management?

your vendetta against keane is a complete snore fest

it's actually getting pretty embarrassing.

It's amazing how a player's opinion becomes a FACT when you want it to suit your argument.

My daddy is bigger than your daddy.

You said it was well documented, and when evidence of the same nature is put before you it's "pfft" and excuses.

embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I'll give him about 12 months before he walks out.

How does a "bad" manager take a team from the bottom of the championship 0 points after 5 games to league leaders and champions in less than a year?

how does a bad manager with such bad players stay in the premiership in his first year of management?

your vendetta against keane is a complete snore fest

it's actually getting pretty embarrassing.

Well I guess you're probably the best person to know an embarrassing post when you see one so I'll respect your opinion.

All the best Royston, look forward to Ipswich in the Premiership in 10/11. Now, anyone got a link for their club shop?

My daddy is bigger than your daddy.

You said it was well documented, and when evidence of the same nature is put before you it's "pfft" and excuses.

embarrassing.

Hold on, you dismissed the evidence that Keane lost the dressing room. So does that make you just as bad as me?

• Advertisement

Well I guess you're probably the best person to know an embarrassing post when you see one so I'll respect your opinion.

Well i have kids of my own, you gain experience ;)

Hold on, you dismissed the evidence that Keane lost the dressing room. So does that make you just as bad as me?

No, the only "evidence" I saw documented was people moaning they got trained to hard. if that makes a manger bad then the problem does not lie with the manager.

No, the only "evidence" I saw documented was people moaning they got trained to hard. if that makes a manger bad then the problem does not lie with the manager.
    Of course it does. The buck alway's stops with the manager.

Can I see this evidence?

Highsider wrote: »

For results.

sure, grown men being paid huge money to train each day whining they can't keep up with the training it's his fault for signing such whiney kids.

but I'm not sure how you go about stress testing a players training levels

Highsider wrote: »

Unless it is Liverpool. The Buck stops with the 2 owners, then the Chairman, then the tea lady, then the guy that waters the pitch, Then Rafa! ;)

• Advertisement

Can I see this evidence?

back page of the sun somewhere at a guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think that is very, very unfair on Keane. When Keane quit, Sbragia came in and said in interviews that he felt the squad was too big and that he would be trying to get rid of players.

He is now going around moaning that the squad is thin and that he is short players, so really, I think Sbragia has made a balls of it himself and has really just been spewing back what he has read in the media about his own squad.

For what it is worth, I think Keane built a very good squad from positions 1 to 11 (with the aim of Premiership stability in mind), his problem was that he approached the squad building task from a Man United point of view and tried to get 22 players who could all be first teamers. That just can't be done with a club at the level Sunderland were at, so he was left with the right number of players but couldn't get the right quality of player.

Unless it is Liverpool. The Buck stops with the 2 owners, then the Chairman, then the tea lady, then the guy that waters the pitch, Then Rafa! ;)
    woooooooosh. We are talking about Roy Keane here. No wonder every thread turns into a Liverpool v Man U arguement ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Please Jesus not more United Liverpool ****, why the word Rafa appears in a thread about Roy Keane I will never know. Unless some eejit misspells Raffle or is talking about those horrible white versions of Ferrero Rocher.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Ferrero Rocher.

Who does he play for? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement