Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane Confirmed as new Ipswich Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Draupnir wrote: »
    Please Jesus not more United Liverpool ****, why the word Rafa appears in a thread about Roy Keane I will never know. Unless some eejit misspells Raffle or is talking about those horrible white versions of Ferrero Rocher.

I think the white ones are much nicer...

break into that shell the creamy goodness.....mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I don't think Keane is a bad manager, but he still has a lot of learning to do.

I'm not buying this "taking over a team with 0pts from their first 5 games" nonsense though, he took over a team that was being managed by the chairman ffs.

Winning promotion in his first season was an achievement all the same, but he had a good base with which to work with (the guts of a below average PL squad is still an above average Championship squad IMO)

He has shown some very poor judgement in his transfer dealings...Jones, Malbranque, Richardson were all great signings, but what the fcuk was he thinking when he signed Diouf, Cisse, and Chimbonda? All three of the latter have serious ego issues, and were never going to respond well to Keane' style of management.

He also spent £5m on Michael Chopra...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm not buying this "taking over a team with 0pts from their first 5 games" nonsense though, he took over a team that was being managed by the chairman ffs.

It doesn't make a difference if the team was being managed by Donald Duck.

0 points after 5 games to league champions is not nonsense.

ntlbell wrote: »
    back page of the sun somewhere at a guess :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/keane-quit-by-text-1564604.html
    His exit was celebrated by Sunderland players who followed Keane's example by texting team-mates to revel in his demise.

They loved him really.

Boggles wrote: »
    It doesn't make a difference if the team was being managed by Donald Duck.

0 points after 5 games to league champions is not nonsense.

It is nonsense. They were underperforming while being managed by a man with no coaching experience.

5 games in still left 41 games to play.

The starting point was not as much of a disadvantage as you're making out.

They were underperforming while being managed by a man with no coaching experience.

5 games in still left 41 games to play.

But a manager been installed with no coaching experience and winning the league is nonsense in your opinion?

Put in context he had 5 less games than any other team to win the league.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/23/roy-keane-sunderland-niall-quinn
    one of his own signings, the left-back George McCartney, claimed Keane had lost the dressing room long before he walked away from his first manager's job.

With Keane's abrasive man-management upsetting rather than inspiring, McCartney claimed his replacement, Ricky Sbragia, has rebuilt shattered confidence and restored the self-belief Keane had destroyed.

"We had a shaky period under Roy Keane when we didn't win for about seven matches which dragged us towards relegation," said McCartney, a £5m purchase from West Ham United in the summer. "But the last four or five games under Rick we've started playing better football and got more confident with each match we've played, and that showed against Arsenal. I think under Roy Keane the lads were a bit disheartened and he went about things differently from the way Ricky does."

But a manager been installed with no coaching experience and winning the league is nonsense in your opinion?

I clearly did not say that.
    Winning promotion in his first season was an achievement all the same

I was very impressed with that achievement.

yes prefisonal footballers happy they won't have to work as hard :rolleyes:

oh the indo well i guess it must be all true :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Former Keane fanboi Eamonn Dunphy:
    "The cult of Roy Keane and everything he stood for hung heavily over the players at Sunderland," believes Dunphy. "He has been a bit of a drama queen at times and failed as a manager because he didn't know how to work with people.

"Roy went straight into a major club without doing the ground work the likes of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley or Jose Mourinho put in. They worked their way towards the top and understand how to be a manager by the time they got there, but Roy had a lot of baggage from day one.

"Giving the Clint Eastwood stare and trying to rule by fear it doesn't work in the modern game and on top of that, and his transfer dealings have been terrible. He has got 40 players in and 40 out in his two years at Sunderland and that can hardly be viewed as stability."

ROFL

• Advertisement

I clearly did not say that.

What are you saying so, the plaudits he recieved were nonsense?

poor lads, on 40k a week and getting upset because the big bad man shouted at them....

it's funny the quote doesn't mention anything about him losing the dressing room, the author did.

wonder how george feels they're playing now under rick? :rolleyes:

yes prefisonal footballers happy they won't have to work as hard :rolleyes:

oh the indo well i guess it must be all true :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You asked for evidence, I gave it.

It's not the Sun, which you dismissed in your earlier post, and I've given you a quote from the Guardian if the Indo is not to your liking.

What paper would you trust, the Manchester Evening News?

Former Keane fanboi Eamonn Dunphy:

ROFL

i thought everything eamon dunphy said was to be regarding as clueless nonsense?

then when people want to make a point they wheel quotes from him?

Embarrassing.

You asked for evidence, I gave it.

It's not the Sun, which you dismissed in your earlier post, and I've given you a quote from the Guardian if the Indo is not to your liking.

What paper would you trust, the Manchester Evening News?

but the quote didn't mention anythiing about him losing the dressing room?

do people not at this stage know how to read a paper?

you don't look at what it might suggest, you look at what is said.

he didn't say in that quote anything about him losing the dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i thought everything eamon dunphy said was to be regarding as clueless nonsense?

Embarrassing.

the biggest Troll around i heard

What are you saying so, the plaudits he recieved were nonsense?

No, I am saying that to use the fact he took over 5 games in with 0pts on the board as a shining example of what an extra special sooper dooper manager he was is wide of the mark.

41 games left, 123 points to play for.

Embarrassing.

I don't necessarily agree with his assessment, just posting up there for a bit of balance.

No, I am saying that to use the fact he took over 5 games in with 0pts on the board as a shining example of what an extra special sooper dooper manager he was is wide of the mark.

it's irrelevant teams had an advanatge he had to gain those points back

there's no point having 41 games left if you can't do the buisness

he went there and with 41 games left after them losing 5 in a row dejected from being in the championship etc lifted spirits and not just got them promoted but won the league with no previous expirience

• Advertisement

but the quote didn't mention anythiing about him losing the dressing room?

do people not at this stage know how to read a paper?

you don't look at what it might suggest, you look at what is said.

he didn't say in that quote anything about him losing the dressing room?

Your fanboism knows no ends.

Yeah he got 88 of them. That is special sooper dooper.

Yeah he got 88 of them. That is special sooper dooper.

I refer the Rt Hon Gentleman to post #109

Your fanboism knows no ends.

No I'm just old enough to know how to read a paper properly..

No I'm just old enough to know how to read a paper properly..

But only certain papers, right? If its the Indo or the Sun it doesn't count?

Glad we cleared that one up...:rolleyes:

But only certain papers, right? If its the Indo or the Sun it doesn't count?

Glad we cleared that one up...:rolleyes:

The paper isn't important. What it SAYS is important.

and in the quote you pointed out he never said he lost the dressing room

the author wants to try get easily led people who can't read between the lines to ASSUME that's what happened.

A news paper trying to be sensationalist well i never...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I would like to pay thanks to Roy Keane for all his hard work in progressing this club, lifting its status and growing its worldwide profile,"

"Roy deserves huge respect for his contribution and the manner in which he guided the club from the depths of the Championship back to the Premier League. His winning mentality and single-mindedness were just what this club needed when Drumaville took over shortly before his arrival.

"Roy's decision to stand aside and allow someone else to take charge of the next chapter sums up his desire to always do what is best for the club. Even in his departure he has been more concerned for the welfare of the players and his staff than himself.....The board has reluctantly accepted his decision and wish him and his family well for the future."

- Niall Quinn

The paper isn't important. What it SAYS is important.

and in the quote you pointed out he never said he lost the dressing room

The Indo article I quoted says:
    His exit was celebrated by Sunderland players who followed Keane's example by texting team-mates to revel in his demise.

Now it's not a bold font headline, but does that sound like the reaction of a squad of players sad to see him go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

You have to ask yourself the reasons why Keane left Sunderland. I've heard it mentioned that one possible reason was due to interference from the board. Given the quantity and quality of his signings in the Premiership, I'd say there wasn't enough interference. I think this appointment is too soon for him, he'd be better being an assistant coach for a while and learning his trade under the wing of someone.

Big questions must be asked why he abandoned his club when they were in trouble as he still had the support of the fans. Did he not believe in himself to save them and if so, what has changed in the space of a few months that makes him believe he can establish Ipswich as a Premiership club? I'm guessing the resources at Ipswich are not going to be as big as at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ipswich have a billionaire owner i'd say they wont mind throwing some money at the situation

The Indo article I quoted says:

Now it's not a bold font headline, but does that sound like the reaction of a squad of players sad to see him go?

did the author get a text? did a player say that? what was the nature of the texts? where any of these quoted by a player suppose to have sent one?

no? strange....

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself the reasons why Keane left Sunderland. I've heard it mentioned that one possible reason was due to interference from the board. Given the quantity and quality of his signings in the Premiership, I'd say there wasn't enough interference. I think this appointment is too soon for him, he'd be better being an assistant coach for a while and learning his trade under the wing of someone.

Big questions must be asked why he abandoned his club when they were in trouble as he still had the support of the fans. Did he not believe in himself to save them and if so, what has changed in the space of a few months that makes him believe he can establish Ipswich as a Premiership club? I'm guessing the resources at Ipswich are not going to be as big as at Sunderland.

or maybe it's why he said it was?

you know the man himself that gave the reason?

mad i know, but it's an idea.

I would like to pay thanks to Roy Keane for all his hard work in progressing this club, lifting its status and growing its worldwide profile,"

"Roy deserves huge respect for his contribution and the manner in which he guided the club from the depths of the Championship back to the Premier League. His winning mentality and single-mindedness were just what this club needed when Drumaville took over shortly before his arrival.

"Roy's decision to stand aside and allow someone else to take charge of the next chapter sums up his desire to always do what is best for the club. Even in his departure he has been more concerned for the welfare of the players and his staff than himself.....The board has reluctantly accepted his decision and wish him and his family well for the future."

- Niall Quinn
    "I think Ricky came in for those few games before he got the job permanently and it was amazing. We just felt that he brought exactly what was needed at that time," Quinn said.

"We were really at a crossroads when it could all have gone horribly wrong for us, and Ricky calmed the situation down and brought his professionalism in which was a different type to Roy's.

"Different ways in performance, Ricky got people smiling again. He got the players to believe in themselves.

The bold bit is crucial, Keane needs to take this chance at Ipswich to reinvent himself as a manager. the Brian Clough clip round the ear approach will only work to a point, if he had a body of success behind him like Clough and SAF he'd get more leeway, but he doesn't.

Modern football management requires a more nuanced approach to man management, it doesn't matter that a guy is on 40k a week, he is still a human being and you still have to be able to motivate him. Leaving someone behind from the team bus plays well in the media and in the stands, but when you buy known trouble makers and then try the same approach, board members and club chairmen tend to get twitchy, as it's the clubs assets the manager is playing with.

did the author get a text? did a player say that? what was the nature of the texts? where any of these quoted by a player suppose to have sent one?

no? strange....

If you have anything to disprove the authors article other than your suspicions I'm all ears.

The bold bit is crucial, Keane needs to take this chance at Ipswich to reinvent himself as a manager. the Brian Clough clip round the ear approach will only work to a point, if he had a body of success behind him like Clough and SAF he'd get more leeway, but he doesn't.

Modern football management requires a more nuanced approach to man management, it doesn't matter that a guy is on 40k a week, he is still a human being and you still have to be able to motivate him. Leaving someone behind from the team bus plays well in the media and in the stands, but when you buy known trouble makers and then try the same approach, board members and club chairmen tend to get twitchy, as it's the clubs assets the manager is playing with.

so all the players are smiling, full of self belief delighted with rick

yet they're worse off now then they were...

it's nonsense.

If you have anything to disprove the authors article other than your suspicions I'm all ears.

the article doesn't prove anything for me to disprove

a journalist made a statement with no evidence to back it up

or none you or i have seen..

i don't need to disprove something that hasn't been proved...

more nonsense.

or maybe it's why he said it was?

you know the man himself that gave the reason?

mad i know, but it's an idea.

What reason did he give? I never heard.

Farcical!!!

See Hiddink this season.

when you buy known trouble makers and then try the same approach, board members and club chairmen tend to get twitchy, as it's the clubs assets the manager is playing with.

That's a good point. I never understood why Keane, being the personality that he is, signed Richardson and Diouf.

so all the players are smiling, full of self belief delighted with rick

yet they're worse off now then they were...

it's nonsense.

Left them in 18th place with 15pts from 15 games.

They are now in 15th place with 20pts from the 18 games played since.

Farcical!!!

See Hiddink this season.

Your point being?

• Advertisement

Left them in 18th place with 15pts from 15 games.

They are now in 15th place with 20pts from the 18 games played since.

So it is more or less status qou?

Your point being?

Hiddink implemented harsh discipline - Chelsea starting performing.

So it is more or less status qou?

1.1pts per game as opposed to the 1.0pts Keane managed.

So slightly better.

Certainly not worse off than when he was there.

Hiddink implemented harsh discipline - Chelsea starting performing.

Hiidink succeeded in motivating his squad, how he's managed that I'm not sure but I haven't heard any tales of him leaving players behind on the team bus, and I certainly haven't heard him say anything negative about his players in public.

Certainly not worse off than when he was there.

But at least there smiling again!! :rolleyes:

But at least there smiling again!! :rolleyes:

Fans don't care about results, they're interested on how happy they're team is as long as their happy that's all that matters

WAAAY DA LADS.

:rolleyes:

Hiidink succeeded in motivating his squad, how he's managed that I'm not sure but I haven't heard any tales of him leaving players behind on the team bus, and I certainly haven't heard him say anything negative about his players in public.

possibly because his team show up on time.

just a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Best of luck Mr Keane

now to go off topic
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I've seen a good few walking around in Sunderland jerseys. Not as many as the ridiculousness of the rise in Chelsea jerseys over the past four or five years, but have still seen a few.

The proliferation of Chelsea jerseys over the past four or five years is not ridiculous.

People select teams to follow mainly based on success, and Chelsea have been a very successful team over that period.

It's the same way as you had a growth in Liverpool fans in the 70s and 80s and a growth in Man Utd fans in 90s and 00s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Keane must have the worst luck in management tho Didn't he get a call from the ref's association apologizing for 7 very iffy penalties given against him and this season they dropped a fair few points in the last few minutes of games when he was with them although i suppose thats just concentration level of the players.

I wonder if this will continue with ipswich

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

How many of ye have spent the morning playing Ipswich on championship manager?:p

Advertisement