Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane Confirmed as new Ipswich Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

elshambo wrote: »
    How many of ye have spent the morning playing Ipswich on championship manager?:p

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Take off the red tinted glasses for a second.

Do you think Keane has what it takes to be the future of a club like United? Handle large amounts of money well? Deal with big name players/egos?

No I dont wear glasses but I suggest you go get a pair.....I said Keane could be a manager of United in a few YEARS, not today or tomorrow. God its very easy to rile the anti-Keane/United riff-raff isnt it? Even when you had no intention of doing it in the first place :rolleyes:

And the answers to your questions would be
    Quite possibly/Yes/Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

heads up R.Keane's press conference is coming up on ssn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No I dont wear glasses but I suggest you go get a pair.....I said Keane could be a manager of United in a few YEARS, not today or tomorrow. God its very easy to rile the anti-Keane/United riff-raff isnt it? Even when you had no intention of doing it in the first place :rolleyes:

And the answers to your questions would be
    Quite possibly/Yes/Yes.

No need to be so defensive. I was merely asking a United fan if they would like Keane in charge of their club. Jeez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I do love this "What's this obsession with Keane" posts. Hell we had a thread when Kerr took over the faroes.

On the issue of him taking over from Fergie, I doubt it. My preference would be a proven manager like Moyes or O'Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

anyone catch that at 4?or was it the usual great club great history get back to where we belong .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is anybody actually suggesting that he takes over at Utd.?

If they are they obviously mental.

Keane has proven to be Manager with potential but one with an awful lot still to learn.

Maybe he could be Manager at Utd. in the future but certainly not any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Boggles wrote: »
    But at least there smiling again!! :rolleyes:

Of course they are. They are currently out of the relegation zone which Keane left them in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How long ontill we start seeing Ipswich jerseys around this country,they are probably all over Cork already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

anyone catch that at 4?or was it the usual great club great history get back to where we belong .....

Not a whole lot of insight, the usual things you'd hear out of a new manager, we're aiming for promotion etc. Snippets:

-- He was enjoying his break but thought it was a good opportunity.

-- Only signing a two-year deal was partly his own decision, concedes it might give things an 'edge' and lead to more paper talk as the deal winds down.

-- Promotion in his first season is the aim.

-- Without being pressed on figures, he will have money to spend, although there may not be the exodus that the press have been talking about due to the amount of players out of contract, because judging players on 2 games wouldn't be fair.

-- His dogs were tired of him :pac:

• Advertisement

-- Only signing a two-year deal was partly his own decision, concedes it might give things an 'edge' and lead to more paper talk as the deal winds down.

Strange decision. Maybe he wants it this way to it gives him the chance to walk away when his contract up rather then getting sacked if he fails.

Strange decision. Maybe he wants it this way to it gives him the chance to walk away when his contract up rather then getting sacked if he fails.

Or maybe that's a mutual agreement him and the club came to with no other reason behind it...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dub13 wrote: »
    How long ontill we start seeing Ipswich jerseys around this country,they are probably all over Cork already.
    That's mad, it took 160 posts before somebody mentioned that.......oh wait....

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's mad, it took 160 posts before somebody mentioned that.......oh wait....

I have no real interest in this,I just watched the press conference and was not going to read the whole thread.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Or maybe that's a mutual agreement him and the club came to with no other reason behind it...

Of course there's a reason behind why he was given/accepted a contract shorter then the average. They hardly sat down and put the numbers 1-10 in a hat and decided that whichever number was picked out first would be the length of his contract.

I have no real interest in this,

Yet still could n't hold back the over whelming compulsion to post on it something that has nothing to do with it..

good man dub ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have no real interest in this,I just watched the press conference and was not going to read the whole thread.

So you've no interest in the thread, can't be arsed to read it yet still feel the need to subject us to the 50th iteration of the same lame joke...

Fair play.

Of course there's a reason behind why he was given/accepted a contract shorter then the average. They hardly sat down and put the numbers 1-10 in a hat and decided that whichever number was picked out first would be the length of his contract.

which may be a perfectly reasonable one that has absolutely nothing to do with roy getting worried about getting the sack

if you're afraid of getting sacked, management probably is the wrong job

no?

keane2097 wrote: »
    So you've no interest in the thread, can't be arsed to read it yet still feel the need to subject us to the 50th iteration of the same lame joke...

Fair play.

You can ignore my post,god knows I have to ignore loads of posts every day.

So everybody in here is a huge Ipswich fan..?

Surely if you were worried about getting the sack you'd be looking for a longer contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ah maybe there is another job coming on the market in about 2 years :rolleyes:

god knows I have to ignore loads of posts every day.

No wonder with the amount of people wandering around making pointless posts in threads they have no interest in...

ill be putting money on Ipswich being promoted next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'll be putting my money on Royston falling out with someone and walking out on the job. maybe it'll be the star player, maybe the owner, maybe the tea lady, maybe an inanimate object lying around in the dressing room. The possibilities are endless.

keane2097 wrote: »
    No wonder with the amount of people wandering around making pointless posts in threads they have no interest in...

Look you are taken the no interest quote I made to literally,if you want to be anal about it my exact quote was 'I have no real interest in this'.Which is true,I am not a Ipswich fan hence what I said.

Now as a football fan I watched the press conference today and I will have a mild passing interest in how Mr Keane gets on in his new job.I hope that clears it up for you.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'll be putting my money on Royston falling out with someone and walking out on the job. maybe it'll be the star player, maybe the owner, maybe the tea lady, maybe an inanimate object lying around in the dressing room. The possibilities are endless.

so much negativity Alan. You dont know he might suprise you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its unlikely headshot.

Cardiff away is first up on Saturday in the last ever league game at Ninian Park. Hopefully the Bluebirds are up for it.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its unlikely headshot.

we'll see ill bookmark this ;)

id say he's learned alot from the sunderland job

• Advertisement

roy keane - manager :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is it the fact that Keane played for Man United, The Saipan episode or just good old fashioned Irish begrudgery that a minority of people on here are either writing off Keane or trying to discredit his achievements?

The guy got back on the horse today, no one really knows what happened at Sunderland, but at least he is giving it another shot.

Keane expects the highest standards, it's hilarious that the majority of the fans having a go support teams where mediocrity is celebrated, maybe thats why ye just don't get it.

If Roy Keane is to be a successful manager he is going to have to build a scouting network and stop relying on his old Utd/Ireland buddy's.

If Roy Keane is to be a successful manager he is going to have to build a scouting network and stop relying on his old Utd/Ireland buddy's.

Which takes a lot of time

what makes you think it's not in the post?

you'd like him to just pull one out of his backside?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    roy keane - manager :pac::pac::pac:

Well done rarnes, you have grasped the concept quite well, actually you have summed it brilliantly in 3 words with perfect clarity.

Yes. Roy Keane is a manager!

Brilliant!!!

Now here is your reward, some more smiley faces. :pac::D:):p

Well done rarnes, you have grasped the concept quite well, actually you have summed it brilliantly in 3 words with perfect clarity.

Yes. Roy Keane is a manager!

Brilliant!!!

Now here is your reward, some more smiley faces. :pac::D:):p

Thanks, a fine reward

• Advertisement

Which takes a lot of time

what makes you think it's not in the post?

you'd like him to just pull one out of his backside?

Yes it takes time,and changing clubs does not help.

Some of his buys have been dreadful,these days football owners require near instant success maybe he does not have the time.

Keane expects the highest standards, it's hilarious that the majority of the fans having a go support teams where mediocrity is celebrated, maybe thats why ye just don't get it.

I would have thought that those of used to mediocrity would be the best judges so if Keane doesn't even meet our very low standards then he musn't be doing very good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I would have thought that those of used to mediocrity would be the best judges so if Keane doesn't even meet our very low standards then he musn't be doing very good at all.

That's begrudgery. Because you settle for mediocrity doesn't mean you're the better judge, quite the opposite in fact.

What odds on promotion next season I wonder...

Tut Tut...Hate and Mediocraty are never a good mix!!

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    That's begrudgery. Because you settle for mediocrity doesn't mean you're the better judge, quite the opposite in fact.

It's not begrudgery. Begrudgery would be saying I don't think he should have gotten all those titles or any of the other trophies he won as a player. But he deserved them as he was a great player.

Anyway, I don't settle for mediocrity, I just have plenty of experience in it.
    What odds on promotion next season I wonder...

Decent I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

It's not begrudgery.

Ah maybe it's just born out of begrudgery then :pac:

3-1 on Paddy Power at the moment. They've an 'Ipswich specials' section :pac:

Ah maybe it's just born out of begrudgery then :pac:

3-1 on Paddy Power at the moment. They've an 'Ipswich specials' section :pac:

****e odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Are you Dunphy or something?

They've an 'Ipswich specials' section :pac:

And the Keane pull on the Irish Nation enters a new chapter.

In all seriousness if he fails/walks away again do you think the Irish publics obsession with him will wane..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Keano news conference video

Duration: 8min

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8015137.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon he will take Ipswich forward. He did a great job getting Sunderland promoted. Those who bash Keane seem to have short memories as Sunderland were in a relegation battle in the Championship before he took charge.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if Owen Garvan will feature prominetly in his plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Im a Keane fan, and i don't begrudge him one bit, and i wish him every success in his new job.

I think it is a perfect setting for him to be honest.

I think his problem has always been when something, normally someone threatens his stature.

With Ireland he had problems with McCarthy more than the set-up in my opinion.

With Sunderland it was the new majority shareholder, An American (who knows nothing about "soccer") coming in and questioning Keanes performance was the obvious reason to me why he walked out.

With United he could see the end was coming, i think what happened there suited him more than playing out his career at the club and falling in importance (like Giggs is doing, and Tugay at Blackburn for another example.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory (because that's what he believes ot to be himself) seems to be the way he does things.

All respect to Ipswich, i can see him being very comfortable there being the actual Number 1, i think he will be given total control of as many aspects as he wants at the club,

ideal to test him, ideal to test him on his own playing field, and it will make or break him as a manager,

i think he is lucky given how he has reacted in his previous employments to be given another chance, but i do hope he takes his chance well.

I reckon he will take Ipswich forward. He did a great job getting Sunderland promoted. Those who bash Keane seem to have short memories as Sunderland were in a relegation battle in the Championship before he took charge.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if Owen Garvan will feature prominetly in his plans.

Not short memories, just some people dont quite go as overboard on that achievement. While it was impress some people go on as if it was the best thing in management histroy. He took over one of the best squads in the championship in September. I have my doubts over him doing well with a championship team if he isnt given much money. I'd expect him to have a much wider knowledge of what players to buy now and not just rely on his old mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not short memories, just some people dont quite go as overboard on that achievement. While it was impress some people go on as if it was the best thing in management histroy. He took over one of the best squads in the championship in September. I have my doubts over him doing well with a championship team if he isnt given much money. I'd expect him to have a much wider knowledge of what players to buy now and not just rely on his old mates.

'One of the best squads' which was near the very bottom of the table. Keane made some very useful signings and dragged a team that was on its knees to champions of the division. It was an outstanding achievement.

He does have a lot to prove in terms of the Premiership which I can accept, similar to Mick McCarthy in a way, but I don't see how or why his Championship record can be questioned given what he did with Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Keane is a promising young manager who is learning his trade, especially with how to deal with politics in soccer.

He isn't a great manager yet, but he has potential.

It's a potentially good signing for Ipswich but from what I know of them, I wonder will Keane like how the club is run.

Is Ipswich a glamorous place to live? Will he be able to attract players who wouldn't move to Sunderland because of location?

• Advertisement
Advertisement