Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane Confirmed as new Ipswich Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

GuanYin wrote: »
    Keane is a promising young manager who is learning his trade, especially with how to deal with politics in soccer.

He isn't a great manager yet, but he has potential.

It's a potentially good signing for Ipswich but from what I know of them, I wonder will Keane like how the club is run.

Is Ipswich a glamorous place to live? Will he be able to attract players who wouldn't move to Sunderland because of location?
    Ya i was wondering that myself doesn't seem to be that far from London I'd say he could get dos santos from spurs next season on loan but should be easier then when he started with Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

C'mon the tractor boys, great news I'm delighted can't wait till next year.
    Anyone want to buy a Sunderland shirt haven't worn it for 6 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hope he does well. good to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Keane is a promising young manager who is learning his trade, especially with how to deal with politics in soccer.

He isn't a great manager yet, but he has potential.

It's a potentially good signing for Ipswich but from what I know of them, I wonder will Keane like how the club is run.

Is Ipswich a glamorous place to live? Will he be able to attract players who wouldn't move to Sunderland because of location?

Well he won't have the funds that he had at Sunderland so it will be very interesting to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Well he won't have the funds that he had at Sunderland so it will be very interesting to see how he gets on.

not sure on that

didnt the last manager spend 12 million on players this season or somthing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Headshot wrote: »
    not sure on that

didnt the last manager spend 12 million on players this season or somthing ?

He had much more than that at Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What is it with Keano and managing teams full of Irish players !

A quick check reveals no less than 6 at Ipswich

and gods knows about double that he had at Sunderland.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He had much more than that at Sunderland

ya i know that but still thats alot of money for championship so you could say hes gone into another sunderland situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

No point in getting in the same old Keane V The Not So Keane debate, I would not be his greatest fan for numerous reasons but its good to see him back.

Football is better off with him in it, the Championship is better off with him in it and Ipswich are probably better off with him in charge, it will give the club and town a good buzz. Time will tell if it works, here is to hoping that he does well, no point in begrudging any thing Keane has done or will do whatever your opinions are of him !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hell no, even though I hate the club, players, staff (except 1 mate who's a coach) and supporters, it is one dreary place to live in. If he couldn't attract players to Sunderland he'll struggle to bring them down the A140.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    You can ignore my post,god knows I have to ignore loads of posts every day.

So everybody in here is a huge Ipswich fan..?

Except me :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

kensutz wrote: »
    Hell no, even though I hate the club, players, staff (except 1 mate who's a coach) and supporters, it is one dreary place to live in. If he couldn't attract players to Sunderland he'll struggle to bring them down the A140.

Ipswich town may not be glamorous but its close to London,this has a huge effect on certain types of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ipswich town may not be glamorous but its close to London,this has a huge effect on certain types of players.
    And their wags

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And their wags

LOL...if forgot about that,who was it again..?

Can't remember but Danny Murphy's wife had a pop at Keane at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6947333.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Agreed completely, massive massive factor.

Buying a player these days is like trying to sell a house, you have to list all the amenties that are close by.

Nothing a player likes hearing more before he signs than "Oh Yeah Daniel Lloyd lives down the street" - SOLD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Can't remember but Danny Murphy's wife had a pop at Keane at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6947333.stm

she said her danny was the boss and dictates their life.

didn't really have a pop at keane

i just find it hard to believe danny dictates anything.

ntlbell wrote: »
    she said her danny was the boss and dictates their life.

didn't really have a pop at keane
    Jeez, talk about being pedantic. It was hardly an attack, but I was just using the word "pop" as dysphemism.
    Joanna Taylor-Murphy, wife of Tottenham and former England midfielder Danny Murphy, disagreed with Keane's comments.

i just find it hard to believe danny dictates anything.
    Stop having a pop at Danny

Jeez, talk about being pedantic. It was hardly an attack, but I was just using the word "pop" as dysphemism.

Stop having a pop at Danny

Well she can't really disagree with them, it's not keane's opinion, it's apparently what happened, but as far as i know keane never tried to sign danny murphy

Well she can't really disagree with them, it's not keane's opinion, it's apparently what happened, but as far as i know keane never tried to sign danny murphy
    Even more reason to believe that she's having a pop then.
    It had nothing to do with her and she still said something.

who cares what she has to say? she's a wag ffs

she probably fell off her chair that someone wanted to actually get her opinion on something and it turned it out it was related to shopping..

yes we should really be paying more attention to these wags

• Advertisement

Christ! Are you always this moany?

I don't give a sh1t what she has to say either but it's quite clear why I mentioned her.

Christ! Are you always this moany?

no, I'm in me flowers :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

no - it could simply be she was asked a question and gave an opinion that differs to keane. Disagreeing is not the same as 'having a pop'. If she simply rang up the radio show to have a rant about it, then yeah, it would be seen as having a 'pop. don't know that she did though.

no - it could simply be she was asked a question and gave an opinion that differs to keane. Disagreeing is not the same as 'having a pop'. If she simply rang up the radio show to have a rant about it, then yeah, it would be seen as having a 'pop. don't know that she did though.

what he said.

she was asked a question prob because they couldn't get chreryl or posh.

What the hell are we talking about Murphys wife for? :eek:

I remember Curbishly when Murphy went out the door to Spurs said at that time, that he only left because he thinks Himself and his Wife can get into more Movie Premiers playing with Spurs. :pac:

Curbishly you rascle.

Boggles wrote: »
    What the hell are we talking about Murphys wife for? :eek:

I remember Curbishly when Murphy went out the door to Spurs said at that time, that he only left because he thinks Himself and his Wife can get into more Movie Premiers playing with Spurs. :pac:

Curbishly you rascle.

the reasons ---http://www.wagrankings.com/joanna-taylor

:eek:

Go Danny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wonder what attracted her to millionaire football and potatoe lookalike Danny Murphy.

wonder what attracted her to millionaire football and potatoe lookalike Danny Murphy.

his dictation skills

• Advertisement

I can see a couple of reasons there alright! :pac:

Ok folks can we get back on topic please.

Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's not as easy to get to there as it seems considering a drive could take you up to 3 hours because of no motorways. That's why a lot of players don't go near East Anglia, because of its remoteness.

It's not as easy to get to there as it seems considering a drive could take you up to 3 hours because of no motorways. That's why a lot of players don't go near East Anglia, because of its remoteness.

johnny giles said it was only massive on newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You think Martin Cullen won't have a motorway built by the start of next season? That man would go above and beyond for Irish sport.

I understand but its still a lot closer than the North East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Personally I hope that Keane can turn them into the next wimbledon under Kinnear or Leiscter under MON. Connstantly upsetting the odds and making a real go of it at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm not reading 16 pages but I'm sure there's many, many comments about this SundIreland rubbish.

For a lot of people in Ireland, particularly Cork, Roy Keane is bigger than any club. Success for Sunderland meant success for Keane so obviously Keane fans were going to cheer on Sunderland, and now Ipswich.

This rubbish about a huge increase in Sunderland jerseys in this country is just that... utter rubbish.

Keane is huge. The biggest personality in this country and I include non sportspeople.

So while there will be a big interest in Ipswich and many people over here will be cheering them on, it doesn't make them Ipswich supporters and they won't claim to be Ipswich supporters.

P.S - take photo's of any people in this country wearing an Ipswich jersey. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think the Daily Mash has the best take on it
    PSWICH Town yesterday unveiled Roy Keane as their new manager but stressed they would be keeping a large butterfly net to hand, just in case.

Keane prefers to bite down on a pencil
    Chief executive Simon Clegg said that while he expected Keane to bring silverware to Portman Road the club also had a responsibility to ensure they could catch him as quickly as possible.

He added: "The net is the safest method, but if he manages to outrun his carers then we are prepared to bring him down with a tranquiliser dart and then secure him to a wooden plank using strong leather bindings."

Much of the club's offices and training facilities have been padded in anticipation of the appointment, while a treatment room has been refurbished to accommodate Keane's electro-shock paraphernalia.

Keane told a press conference that Ipswich was a great club with a proud history that had always punched above its weight and said he was looking forward to taking his first training session just as soon as the 40ft high chicken had been removed from the centre circle.

The Manchester United legend also claimed none of his former team mates had so far made a success of management, while only a handful had harnessed the power to make themselves invisible.

Keane said that Mark Hughes had done better at Blackburn than Manchester City before insisting repeatedly that Steve Bruce does not exist.

He added: "I have the support of the owner who understands that it's very important for me to able to buy any player I want and then experiment on him in my underground laboratory."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

On his horrific lunge at Alf-Inge Haaland, Keane said: "Even in the dressing room afterwards I had no remorse. My attitude was: ’What goes around comes around’. He got his just rewards. My attitude is an eye for an eye."

Sorry guys but I have no time for a "sportsman" who can speak those words after inflicting a career ending injury on a fellow sportsman DELIBERATELY:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

'One of the best squads' which was near the very bottom of the table. Keane made some very useful signings and dragged a team that was on its knees to champions of the division. It was an outstanding achievement.

Yes, similiar how Spurs were in the relegation zone this season despite having one of the better squads in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes, similiar how Spurs were in the relegation zone this season despite having one of the better squads in the league.
    When did Spurs go top or even 6th for that matter?

On his horrific lunge at Alf-Inge Haaland, Keane said: "Even in the dressing room afterwards I had no remorse. My attitude was: ’What goes around comes around’. He got his just rewards. My attitude is an eye for an eye."

Sorry guys but I have no time for a "sportsman" who can speak those words after inflicting a career ending injury on a fellow sportsman DELIBERATELY:mad:
    A good honest man, no bull coming out of his mouth like so many others who would say they are sorry and not mean a word of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

eagle eye wrote: »
    A good honest man, no bull coming out of his mouth like so many others who would say they are sorry and not mean a word of it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I suppose your right, it was actually a good honest way he dealt with it:rolleyes:

So if a rapist spook like that after committing a crime would you then call him 'A good honest man' just because he spoke with no bull.

Lads if you like/love Keane fair enough but don't let that cloud your judgment on everything he did in his career,that Alf-Inge Haaland incident was despicable no matter what your general opinion of Keane is.

• Advertisement

So if a rapist spook like that after committing a crime would you then call him 'A good honest man' just because he spoke with no bull.

Lads if you like/love Keane fair enough but don't let that cloud your judgment on everything he did in his career,that Alf-Inge Haaland incident was despicable no matter what your general opinion of Keane is.
    Look I'm saying honesty in the situtation is a lot better than lying.

I said there are plenty who have done horrific things and come out with the pc line afterwards even though you know they didn't mean a word of it. I prefer the honest approach, at least you know where you stand.

And comparing Roy Keane to a rapist is going way ott. It would be similar to me comparing Steven Gerard to a rapist.

Look I'm saying honesty in the situtation is a lot better than lying.

I said there are plenty who have done horrific things and come out with the pc line afterwards even though you know they didn't mean a word of it. I prefer the honest approach, at least you know where you stand.

And comparing Roy Keane to a rapist is going way ott. It would be similar to me comparing Steven Gerard to a rapist.

Come on,I was not comparing Roy Keane to a rapist.I was making the point that just because somebody is honest after doing something bad this does not make them a good honest man.

I agree with you to an extent,I like the way Keane is not ever PC but I think he went way over board in the Alf-Inge Haaland incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Setanta just showed the latest score for Ipswich during the Liverpool match.. :rolleyes:

JPA wrote: »
    Setanta just showed the latest score for Ipswich during the Liverpool match.. :rolleyes:

what was it

JPA wrote: »

thats shocking !!! Id complain if I was you

• Advertisement
Advertisement