Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tired of XBLA prices

• 22-04-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Ok today lode runner came out..Never played the original but after playing the demo i thought id make the purchase.Anyway when i came to buy it,it said it costed 1200 ms points.It previously showed 800 before i downloaded the demo.I for one refuse to pay that amount and as a result, microsoft,the game developer and me have lost out.Many games selling at that price point will in fact loose out now when there is a higher price point.Death tanks was another similar title that charged 1200 when i would have been willing to pay 800 ms points.i really dont understand their thinking when they raise their price to that extreme level.Were in a recession and everything seems to be falling yet xbla games seem to be in a bubble where they believe they can in fact raise prices.Games will always be purchased by the hardcore fans of the title when the price is set at 1200 ms points but the casual player who are in between are more than likely gonna be put off by this price.I hope the game now sells terribly as i hate the greed that the company is showing when pricing it at 1200 so please dont buy this game and any other that are at 1200. The 1200 price point started to come in ever since the successful Castle Crashers was released.That game is still on the top of the xbla charts and all the other publishers seem to want to emulate that by putting up the price.

Im in a real sour mood at the moment because i was looking forward to buying that title.Now i must find other mean of playing that game if you know what i mean.Id like to support the developer but when they are just abusing the consumer what more can i do.

Have you bought XBLA/PSN Games for 1200/15e 95 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    62% 59 votes
    I have never bought arcade games
    37% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The RE5 and BK Nuts & Bolts content both cost 400, hopefully MS will realise that people can't afford much much at 1200 points. Banjo Tooie is out next week, that's already been confirmed at 1200 points :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

For stuff like Castle Crashers, you really think that for unique IPs (not ports), the developers don't deserve the extra fiver?

Don't buy them, then, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Mr. K wrote: »
    The RE5 and BK Nuts & Bolts content both cost 400, hopefully MS will realise that people can't afford much much at 1200 points. Banjo Tooie is out next week, that's already been confirmed at 1200 points :(.

The RES5 content is a scam in my opinion..From what iv heard the file you download is 1mb which means the content is already on the disc before you buy it..ie your paying for an unlocking code for a proportion of data that is already on the disc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive said this before but the whole 1200 MS points make it seem like its a "extreme price" but really its not when you think about it. 1200 MS points is the same as 15 euro! Which when you compare it to a 60 euro game its tuppence! Arcade games are 1/4 of retail games! I think this is fair if the quality of the game is good. Which most of the time it is! If you enjoyed lode runner then pay the money and enjoy it more! Simple as that! If you didn't enjoy it then don't buy it!

Castle Crashers was well worth the 1200! Its a great game and that's why its still on top of the charts! I just think if you really like the game its well worth the money!

Also about casual gamers.. there a bit on the stupid side not in a bad way or anything.. they will just think 1200 MS points is normal! They don't keep track on prices like us hardcore guys!

Ill complain when they start charging 25+ for games.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dazftw wrote: »
    Arcade games are 1/4 of retail games!

Not everyone buys big titles when they first come out. And even at that the most expensive retail games can be got for under 50 quid online.

• Advertisement

I bought castle Crashers..it was a good enough game and a lot went into it..thats why its still at the top..However a remake game which is supposed to have more or less the same levels with better graphics doesnt mean its worth 1200 ms points.Secondly XBLA online multiplayer games die out a lot quicker than normal brick and morter games..There only a handful of games on xbla that have even one game on it at any given time.Most die out after 1 week.So basically xbla games and normal game are different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I barely buy anything off the xbox live marketplace, 99% of the stuff is horribly overpriced.

I have about 25 proper games and I'd say 5 or less of them I paid full price for. I don't value most games at €60, and unless it's something I really really want, I'd wait until the game comes down to at least €30 before picking it up.

You can get plenty of decent games for between €10-20 if you're not buying new releases. I just ordered Top Spin 3 for about €12.50, and I bought Prince of Persia for €13 the other week. Prince of Persia came with a code to get the dlc for free, which usually costs 800 points, or around €10. Full game (with free bonus content)- €13, bonus content by itself - €10. Go figure.

So basically if you can pick up plenty of decent full xbox 360 games for €15, paying 1200 points for something from xbla seems a bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

1200 is way too much for an arcade title, but most of new XBLA games are priced at that now.

The RE5 versus mode is the greatest scam ever on xbox live i think, paying a fiver to unlock a feature shipped on the disc. There is no defense of that.

I barely buy anything off the xbox live marketplace, 99% of the stuff is horribly overpriced.

I have about 25 proper games and I'd say 5 or less of them I paid full price for. I don't value most games at €60, and unless it's something I really really want, I'd wait until the game comes down to at least €30 before picking it up.

You can get plenty of decent games for between €10-20 if you're not buying new releases. I just ordered Top Spin 3 for about €12.50, and I bought Prince of Persia for €13 the other week. Prince of Persia came with a code to get the dlc for free, which usually costs 800 points, or around €10. Full game (with free bonus content)- €13, bonus content by itself - €10. Go figure.

So basically if you can pick up plenty of decent full xbox 360 games for €15, paying 1200 points for something from xbla seems a bit of a rip off.

I usually buy all my new releases for around 25-30e on ebay from asia..The deals your getting are good however the problem with it is that your friends will get it when its brand new..by the time you get around to buying it,your friends will be bored of it by then..

To get more on point,im not saying all games arent worth 1200ms points im just saying most xbla games arent worth it..games such as puzzle quest or street fighter are worth it because they have a load of dept,but most games on xbla are fairly shallow with little to no dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Don't buy off MS! I buy my points from these http://www.gamepointsnow.com/microsoft-points

It's a great site, paid through Google checkout and got my points instantly in an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I cant see how anybody can defend Microsofts pricing. Paying 15 euro for a game that was made over 20 years ago isnt good value. The pricing on the PS network seems a little more fair, the majority of the Ps1 games are 4.99 which is a good price. As already said the RE5 update is a joke and the fact that they are charging 800 points for two maps is a complete disgrace.

I said its fair if the quality is good! 4.99 for a direct port of a ps1 game is fair. Theres nothing added! All the arcade titles aren't direct ports they're worked on and features are added. Thats why they cost more. Compare the original lode runner with the new one on xbla.. Its a massive difference!

I got syphon filter of the PSN and its the exact same.. I couldn't even use the sticks.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Yea i buy them off a similar website,JUST im not willing to support a developer who is over pricing their game

I have no problem paying the price if I really really want it. I recently bought Banjo-Kazooie last week for 1200MS points, had it to get cause I remember playing it for hours on the N64, childhood memories.

€15 is not that bad for a direct port game IMO.

How is it good value? They have just ported to the xbox from whatever platform it was original on. It doesnt take a huge amount of effort.Look at the N64 games the already have all the code and content all they do is just change a bit of code so it runs on Windows CE. I have no problem with giving programmers money but when they are taking the pi** I get annoyed.

I suppose you're right but, in the case of buying Banjo-Kazooie for €15, I didn't mind paying more than 800MS, I really, really wanted it. There's certainly a few games on XBLA priced at 1200MS not worth it.

As long as people buy them..they will always sell stuff over price or do the thing they did with res 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I love how your logic was 'That's too expensive, so I'm going to steal it'. You may not have used those exact words, but the meaning was clear.

At the end of the day, pricing is subjective. I've bought a number of games over the 800pts mark: Penny Arcade 1 and 2, Braid, Castle Crashers and Watchmen. The only one I considered to be poor value was Watchmen, but at the end of the day, I've paid more for full retail games that were worse. Having some some programming in college, it's all too easy to just say it's a piece of piss to port these games, but in reality, it's not as easy as that. Either way, I'd be looking at Sega in terms of a rip off: They've released the Sega Megadrive Collection, and now they seem to be releasing those games on Arcade. From that retail game, the following games are or are going to be available - Sonic 1 to 3, Comix Zone, Shinobi, Phantasy Star 2, Golden Axe, Altered Beast and I believe 1 or 2 more, with more to come, no doubt. That's just feeding off people who want achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Braid was well worth 1,200 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Look at the N64 games the already have all the code and content all they do is just change a bit of code so it runs on Windows CE. I have no problem with giving programmers money but when they are taking the pi** I get annoyed.

Yeah because its THAT easy. just change a few bits :rolleyes: They could get an intern to do that in a day sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

It's not so much the prices I consider bad but this ridiculous ****e about having to buy MS points! Does my ****ing head in that I have to raise thirty quid before I can buy anything, such a scam. Much prefer the Playstation store where you can spend a quid or two if you want. Microsoft, always doing things arseways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I hate the fact that even after you buy these games, you cant use them unless your connected to the internet.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    I love how your logic was 'That's too expensive, so I'm going to steal it'. You may not have used those exact words, but the meaning was clear.

At the end of the day, pricing is subjective. I've bought a number of games over the 800pts mark: Penny Arcade 1 and 2, Braid, Castle Crashers and Watchmen. The only one I considered to be poor value was Watchmen, but at the end of the day, I've paid more for full retail games that were worse. Having some some programming in college, it's all too easy to just say it's a piece of piss to port these games, but in reality, it's not as easy as that. Either way, I'd be looking at Sega in terms of a rip off: They've released the Sega Megadrive Collection, and now they seem to be releasing those games on Arcade. From that retail game, the following games are or are going to be available - Sonic 1 to 3, Comix Zone, Shinobi, Phantasy Star 2, Golden Axe, Altered Beast and I believe 1 or 2 more, with more to come, no doubt. That's just feeding off people who want achievements.

Braid is a completely over rating game thats meant to be very short..I too have some programming backround and believe me the work they put into it would not be a lot.Sure all games are programmed on pc and xbox's code is more or less the same as pc..therefore if they ever coded this game on a previous platform..then they could basically just throw it onto xbox.
    I hate the fact that even after you buy these games, you cant use them unless your connected to the internet.

That only happens if your using a different console to the one you bought them on..Its simple to fix that..

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/06/26/content-license-transfer-tool-aka-the-drm-tool.aspx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fol20 wrote: »
    Braid is a completely over rating game thats meant to be very short

Play it, it's awesome and well worth the 1200 points. However 1200 points is becoming the new 800 points and most xbla games aren't worth it. I've actually been put off buying a lot of games because they were 1200 points and would have snapped them up at 800. MS and the developers are shooting themselves in the foot with the 1200 points price point and scaring potential customers away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I don't understand why so many people are complaining about microsoft with the XBLA. You do realise that people make these games with XNA and they are the people that choose the price that the games are sold for. Why shouldn't games developers get paid for there work? They worked hard on games that many people enjoy and €15 isn't that much for some of the great titles they have on XBLA now.

Just my 2c :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't understand why so many people are complaining about microsoft with the XBLA. You do realise that people make these games with XNA and they are the people that choose the price that the games are sold for. Why shouldn't games developers get paid for there work? They worked hard on games that many people enjoy and €15 isn't that much for some of the great titles they have on XBLA now.

Just my 2c :rolleyes:

Because some of them are getting greedy and pricing themselves out of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fol20 wrote: »
    Braid is a completely over rating game thats meant to be very short.

Can you tell me Saturdays lottery numbers please?

Cause you seem to know how "overated" a game that you've never played is!:rolleyes:

Can you tell me Saturdays lottery numbers please?

Cause you seem to know how "overated" a game that you've never played is!:rolleyes:

Iv played the demo and it put me off the game and plus a friend has it..still dont think its good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Never mind Braid, what about Puzzle Quest Galactrix for 1600 ms points???

I played the demo and it was muck, not worth 400ms never mind 1600!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

800 points is the most I’ll pay for a game unless it’s something spectacular – like the Lost and Damned – which could have stood as a stand alone expansion.

I bought Outrun at release for 800 points and Braid when it was on sale, but aside from that, there’s nothing on XBLA that I’ve touched in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I think Valve got the Left4Dead DLC price right.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play it, it's awesome and well worth the 1200 points. However 1200 points is becoming the new 800 points and most xbla games aren't worth it. I've actually been put off buying a lot of games because they were 1200 points and would have snapped them up at 800. MS and the developers are shooting themselves in the foot with the 1200 points price point and scaring potential customers away.

I have Braid yet, I have touched it. Some annual game award show were giving codes away for free a while back, if you signed up to their site.

Advertisement