Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tired of XBLA prices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Fol20 wrote: »
    The RES5 content is a scam in my opinion..From what iv heard the file you download is 1mb which means the content is already on the disc before you buy it..ie your paying for an unlocking code for a proportion of data that is already on the disc..

Capcom have said it isn't, but its so small cause its nothing but some programming for the game mode that gets all its assets from the disk.

But 400 points is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Most ive spent on an XBLA game is 800 points for SF2HF....

No other SF game (at the time) and I couldnt wait for it....

Mind you I have purchased all the Halo 3 maps on Day one when they come out usually at 800 points aswell, the way I see it if it extends the gameplay of the game I constantly play then its a no brainer for me.....

The most ive spend on a DLC game was Wipeout HD on the Ps3, cost me 18 or twenty quid if memory serves, more of a standalone game aswell, dont think they released the disc in the shop afaik.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Battlefield 1943 is going to be 1200 ms points.

But i dont mind paying the bit extra for that title. I wouldn't purchase any of the current 1200 or 1600 priced games.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Capcom have said it isn't, but its so small cause its nothing but some programming for the game mode that gets all its assets from the disk.

But 400 points is a bit much.

According to a few reviews I read, the content is already on the disc but wasnt fully ready for the release date.

The 1mb download includes a few fixes for it and unlocks it.

It should have been free.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nobody even came close to stating they would steal anything, dont go making stuff up.

To use your example of Sonic, I own Sonic ! on the following platforms;

Mastersystem,Megadrive,Gamegear,MegaCD,Gamecube,PC each were bought for less than the price Microsoft are charging for it. All the old nes,megadrive games shouldnt be anymore than 400 points. Xbox 1 games should be 800-900 points. As for porting games is not rocket science even more so when the games are quiet simple like the original 16bit games.

Rather than flog a dead horse I'd just like to add that there is no need to do any extra programming worth talking about, there are plenty of emulation programs freely available for the pc.

Banjo-Kazooie for one worked perfectly in Project 64 (N64 emulator) for the pc 4 years ago in 1920 x 1200 resolution, 4 x antialiasing etc., I imagine the Xbox 360 can handle it well too.
    I don't understand why so many people are complaining about microsoft with the XBLA. You do realise that people make these games with XNA and they are the people that choose the price that the games are sold for. Why shouldn't games developers get paid for there work? They worked hard on games that many people enjoy and €15 isn't that much for some of the great titles they have on XBLA now.

I think you're confusing XBLA with the XNA Community Games. Games on XBLA can be made using any programming language not necessarily the XNA software. Also XNA Community Games aren't available yet in Ireland last time I checked so we can't give them our money even if we wanted to.

OP - I happily paid full price for Braid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, The Maw, Duke Nukem 3D, N+, Geometry Wars 1&2, Bionic Commando and Peggle. Of course I also foolishly bought Streets of Rage, Street Fighter 2 HD (I'm a terrible Street Fighter 2 player), Bomberman, Sensible Soccer (online is broken), Omega Five and Prince of Persia (probably not worth it for an hour of gameplay).

Death Tanks was an ok game. I was going to get it for maybe 400 points but when I saw 1200 I balked! There was no one playing it online and the game mechanics were similar to Worms but horribly broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nobody even came close to stating they would steal anything, dont go making stuff up.

Read again.
    m in a real sour mood at the moment because i was looking forward to buying that title.Now i must find other mean of playing that game if you know what i mean.Id like to support the developer but when they are just abusing the consumer what more can i do.

chrislad wrote: »
    Read again.

I just took it he ment emulation of the old game, or a free flash version http://www.ciroduran.com/?page_id=37&language=en :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

chrislad wrote: »
    Read again.

I can neither confirm nor deny thats what i meant :)
    OP - I happily paid full price for Braid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, The Maw, Duke Nukem 3D, N+, Geometry Wars 1&2, Bionic Commando and Peggle. Of course I also foolishly bought Streets of Rage, Street Fighter 2 HD (I'm a terrible Street Fighter 2 player), Bomberman, Sensible Soccer (online is broken), Omega Five and Prince of Persia (probably not worth it for an hour of gameplay).

Death Tanks was an ok game. I was going to get it for maybe 400 points but when I saw 1200 I balked! There was no one playing it online and the game mechanics were similar to Worms but horribly broken.

Why do you say you foolishly paid 800 for bomberman...thats a great party game..im still having fun with that game like.

I agree with death tanks i think the game is unbalanced and 800 would have been a fair price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the game is of sufficient quality, I don't mind paying. Braid was well worth the money - not only did it provide a perfectly realised experience, but you also get to support an extremely talented developer. I think most of the stuff I've bought has been 800 points, but for something like Castlevania, Rez or Geometry Wars 2 I'd consider that a bargain - have got more gameplay out of those games that I have out of many games at five or six times that price. Even the expensive Lost and Damned felt like good value to me - for that amount of content, the price is definitely right.

If I paid 1200 for something mediocre, yeah I'd be annoyed. But I only download the stuff I am really interested in, and with a bit of care you don't have to waste money.

Why do you say you foolishly paid 800 for bomberman...thats a great party game..im still having fun with that game like.

I didn't mean it was a bad game just I played Bomberman to death on the Snes, PC (Atomic Bomberman is simply awesome! puts the XBLA one to shame) and Gameboy. So when I have friends over for a party match of it, it gets very one-sided :D Anytime I played it online there was a smidge or two of lag in most of the games. You can't play bomberman with lag so I gave up on it.

Also I regret getting Lode Runner. Especially since I meant to only get the demo but must have chosen the wrong option from the menu. 1200 points down the drain. :(

• Advertisement

you should see how comments for this title go from praise to scorn after the price was raised..Just look at the first page and people were saying that ms has finally been realistic...then it turns to outrage for obvious reasons.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/04/22/arcade-lode-runner.aspx?PageIndex=7

Youd wonder why xbox doesnt have more special offers on xbla games kinda like steam..I snapped up orange box for a 10er there and thought it was a perfect deal..A few weeks ago they had alien hominid for a 5er..i was nearly gonna buy it at that price but decided its not a game i like that much...however id say a load of ppl did buy it for that amount.Pity they dont have more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

95% of these games are available via emulators.You are paying for the achievement points.

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    95% of these games are available via emulators.You are paying for the achievement points.

The new lode runner has new graphics kinda like bionic commando rearmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

The new lode runner has new graphics kinda like bionic commando rearmed

Yeah,I know.I was just talking about most of them-mainly the classic arcade games.I would have considered getting this too.But 1200 is just too much.The price of these games should be going down not up.Oh,I loved how MS put the price at 800 points for a day then jumped it up to 1200.Classic bait and switch tactic-and cited it as a "mistake".

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    Yeah,I know.I was just talking about most of them-mainly the classic arcade games.I would have considered getting this too.But 1200 is just too much.The price of these games should be going down not up.Oh,I loved how MS put the price at 800 points for a day then jumped it up to 1200.Classic bait and switch tactic-and cited it as a "mistake".

Yea agreed..I hope everyone refuses to buy it like us because the price is too high for a remake especially when they know they could have got it for 800 ms the day it came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Honestly lads now as someone said if your not prepared to pay for it then get emulators.
    1200 points is a bit much for any arcade game for the simple reason that they havent done a thing to most of them(Granted there are exceptions)
    Lets face it M$ are money grabbing thieves come on you think the fail rate is an accident? Its because they cheaped out on the internal parts.
    Now dont get me wrong I love my xbox infact I wouldnt have a problem with paying 1200 points for a game if I knew my xbox would be working next year but judging by my current record of 3 xboxs broken in one year I doubt it.

Im happy to say that it looks like lode runner hasnt done too well.Although i dont have exact figures,it only reached 4th place on major nelsons website losing to hasbro family game night,outrun and castle crashers..Maybe now they will go back to proper fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Depends on the type of game to be honest. I paid 1200 points for Braid, and I loved it. If the game is original and as beautiful looking as that, then 15 quid is fine by me.

But most games are at the 800 point mark. Check out Outrun!! I couldn't believe that was only 800. Yeah it's short, but it's amazing looking and great fun and fresh to play.

Yea i tried outrun.its only a remake but 800 isnt too bad.Not my type of game though tbh but i know a lot of people would like that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Desmondo2000

I just got the Burnout paradise cops and robbers pack today and the two boost specials the two cars cost 400 each and the cops and robbers pack was 800 its quite pricey for what is really the same cars with just police stamped on them but its still lots of fun

• Advertisement

I just got the Burnout paradise cops and robbers pack today and the two boost specials the two cars cost 400 each and the cops and robbers pack was 800 its quite pricey for what is really the same cars with just police stamped on them but its still lots of fun

cmon dude 400 for a car..Thats defo not worth it..800 for the cops and robber back is still fairly pricy but not as bad as the car one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

OK, I know I normally don't lower the tone to pure moaning - and honestly don't mind paying for XBLA games if there's some decent effort gone into the product. I mean, Braid is original, Castle Crashers was decent and a good laugh together. Even SSFIITHDR was good because of the effort that went into souping up the Graphics, Sound and network code. Lode Runner is good, and there's a bit of polish on the graphics, etc.

But seriously --- Mine Sweeper and Arkanoid for 800 points? Seriously? I reckon they should be 400 points, or community games at most...

How long before someone ports MAME to Community games :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a bit of a scandal brewing about Arkanoid. Apparently the 800 points you pay for it only get you episodes 1 and 2, and you have to pay an extra 400 (some time in the future) to download the last 2 episodes. 800 for a breakout game is already a rip-off, but 1200? And without telling anyone?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/arkanoid-live-has-hidden-costs

Mr E wrote: »
    There is a bit of a scandal brewing about Arkanoid. Apparently the 800 points you pay for it only get you episodes 1 and 2, and you have to pay an extra 400 (some time in the future) to download the last 2 episodes. 800 for a breakout game is already a rip-off, but 1200? And without telling anyone?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/arkanoid-live-has-hidden-costs

That is inexcusable. I was going to get this, but not now.

Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

the thing that annoys me is that 1200 points is akward you either have to buy more then that or buy two 800 points to buy it, i wish you could just buy 1200 points so as to just buy the game. i like on psn you just put in your cc and buy things that cost 14.99 etc instead of ms points........all the above information regarding points is probably wrong but how and ever im certain theres a valid point in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

The pricing scheme is ridiculous and I don't ever want to see people getting used to it or just giving up and being shafted. We pay a subscription for god's sake! The price range should go from FREE to 800, with an original or at the very least sizable game MAYBE costing a little more! Do pc gamers pay for maps or desktop themes!?

I also have Burnout Paradise but I will not pay 650 ms for 4 cars or 800 ms for OFFLINE multiplayer!! A racing game with no split screen out of the box ..:rolleyes:. And as 'gold members' where are the prizes ? the freebies ? the events*? So far this club sucks !

* Don't bother mentioning Xtival 09'..it was very underwhelming to say the least.

/Rant

I think arcanoid and space invaders area rip off at even 800.Their only remakes like.Especially when you only get half the content in arkanoid

OMG microsoft xbla have a "nack" for annoying me.The deal of the week this week is bionic commando for 400ms points.Its a good game and worth that.Im annoyed at ms because i just paid 800ms for it less than 1 week ago.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

wha ?? ^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

RAIN wrote: »
    wha ?? ^^

Odd....

Im in work, so not risking the link just in case.

Advertisement