Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Buy knives Online?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I know the 'what knives will I buy' has been covered here extensively but I only see reference to two places to buy online - one is Amazon and the other is Nisbets. Unfortunately Nisbets doesn't have what I want and the company selling the item on Amazon don't ship to Ireland :-( ... any other suggestions for where I should look ... BTW its a Rosewood Victorinox 2 piece Carving set I'm after with (hopefully) a 10" knife.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

phone tommy varden in galway, they'll take laser over the phone and post them. they stock them.
    Rosewood are a nice handle, feels alot better than the plastic. brennans catersave cork/killarney. shs on dock rd limerick. you'll need to phone them though, very little on their sites, 1000's in their catalouge. Are you sure nisbets don't carry them? i bought a whole set from them 7/8 yrs ago.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

phone tommy varden in galway, they'll take laser over the phone and post them. they stock them.
    Rosewood are a nice handle, feels alot better than the plastic. brennans catersave cork/killarney. shs on dock rd limerick. you'll need to phone them though, very little on their sites, 1000's in their catalouge. Are you sure nisbets don't carry them? i bought a whole set from them 7/8 yrs ago.:confused:

Thanks Keith!
    Nesbit have the carving knife and the fork separately but I was hoping to get them as a set as they're a gift for hubby and they look really nice presented as a set.
    I've just found an english website (Giltsharp) who will deliver to Ireland and I'm looking at paying £61 including delivery (about €70ish) for the carving knife and fork rosewood set - do you think that's a fairly good price?
    I lookedat the Tommy Varden site but as you said, there's not much on them detailing what they have with prices etc so if it's in or around the same price I might be as well off ordering this evening ... what do you think?

Only wrote: »
    Thanks Keith!
    Nesbit have the carving knife and the fork separately but I was hoping to get them as a set as they're a gift for hubby and they look really nice presented as a set.
    I've just found an english website (Giltsharp) who will deliver to Ireland and I'm looking at paying £61 including delivery (about €70ish) for the carving knife and fork rosewood set - do you think that's a fairly good price?
    I lookedat the Tommy Varden site but as you said, there's not much on them detailing what they have with prices etc so if it's in or around the same price I might be as well off ordering this evening ... what do you think?

holy christ 61 pound! do they come with 24ct gold studs?

get onto brennans in cork.....google brennan catersave.
    When do you need them? also you can phone nisbets and ask the to post you a catalouge, tell them your setting up a restaurant, any i order get to me in 4 days. it has the full range and full prices. about 1000times what they have online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Anybody know where to get "good value" in wusthof knives online ?

Thanks,
    CC

holy christ 61 pound! do they come with 24ct gold studs?

get onto brennans in cork.....google brennan catersave.
    When do you need them? also you can phone nisbets and ask the to post you a catalouge, tell them your setting up a restaurant, any i order get to me in 4 days. it has the full range and full prices. about 1000times what they have online.

Thanks again Keith. Am I missing something though?:o
    I thought it wasn't too bad of a price because the knife on Nesbits is €25 odd and the fork is €29 odd and that's not including postage:confused::o
    I have a little bit of time to get them - they are actually for hubby as part of his birthday present but his birthday was today and he got a picture of what he's getting in his card - he'll have to wait for the real thing until I find where to order them:rolleyes::D;)

• Advertisement

Thanks again Keith. Am I missing something though?:o
    I thought it wasn't too bad of a price because the knife on Nesbits is €25 odd and the fork is €29 odd and that's not including postage:confused::o
    I have a little bit of time to get them - they are actually for hubby as part of his birthday present but his birthday was today and he got a picture of what he's getting in his card - he'll have to wait for the real thing until I find where to order them:rolleyes::D;)

I phoned brennans for you, he's rining me back with the price in 5.

I phoned brennans for you, he's rining me back with the price in 5.

Oh Keith, there was no need for you to go to the trouble but .. THANK YOU!!!
    Let me know what he says:)

Oh Keith, there was no need for you to go to the trouble but .. THANK YOU!!!
    Let me know what he says:)

Just aswell i did.........he said the forks 58 euro! ****ing daylight robbery. get em where you saw the 2 for 61 and sorry for the timewaste.:eek:

Just aswell i did.........he said the forks 58 euro! ****ing daylight robbery. get em where you saw the 2 for 61 and sorry for the timewaste.:eek:

Wow, that's one pricey fork:eek: ... hubby would be very disappointed if my only choice was to buy from there ...he'd be lucky to get the knife on its own:(
    Thank a million for looking into it for me. It wasn't a complete timewaste cause now I know I'm getting a good deal online - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Apologies for resurrecting old thread - mods move my query to a new thread if you prefer.

Just wondering if there are any updates to the above re buying knives online? Starting to take my cooking a bit more seriously so I reckon the Newbridge blunters are for the bin and it's time for something a bit more pro - likely Wusthofs. I'm particularly wondering if anyone has had any experience with two particular sites (or can suggest alternatives), both with good prices - www.cookplanet.co.uk and www.cutleryandmore.com. The C&M site has some especially good prices on some Wusthof sets - however I'm slightly suspicious re quality/fakes etc as they do not seem to be an official Wusthof stockist (hard to tell from Wusthof site) and are definitely not an official Henckels stockist despite selling them also. I reckon some of their sets are also a bit 'ad hoc' although they don't make this clear - i.e. a 7 piece 'Wusthof Ikon' set actually consists of 4 Ikon knives with lower grade honing steel, shears and block (not Ikon). Am I right to be suspicious or should I relax?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Thanks DM. Do you have any experience with chefknivestogo?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I haven't bought from them myself, but they come highly recomended on the kitchen forum and keeping sharp forum over at www.knifeforums.com

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/

Ken of Ken's corner is on that sharpening forum also.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kenscorner.html

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/48/

I have bought from Nisbets, Shinichi Watanabe and japanese chef knives with no bother. I am planning to get a bunch of very fine abrasives and some balsa strops for my edge pro from chefknives to go.

Got to get a few quid together first to pay for a knife I'm having custom made for me by a young smith in the UK :D

Well got my knives - and the best value was in.......... Brown Thomas! Wusthof Classic 5 knife + steel + shears set in wood block for €200, with a free extra block and steel thrown in as well. Cheaper than online! Also had a Grand Prix II set (same knives) for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well got my knives - and the best value was in.......... Brown Thomas! Wusthof Classic 5 knife + steel + shears set in wood block for €200, with a free extra block and steel thrown in as well. Cheaper than online! Also had a Grand Prix II set (same knives) for the same price.
    Ah yes, there was a thread somewhere on here recently from someone who'd got that €200 set from BT .. I forgot about that! Sounds like good value.

Alun wrote: »
    Ah yes, there was a thread somewhere on here recently from someone who'd got that €200 set from BT .. I forgot about that! Sounds like good value.

Excellent value TBH. And, given it's a bricks'n'mortar official retailer, should be no issues either with any problems with them.

Advertisement