Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Links in Flash Menu

Options
  • 22-04-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I have flash menus on both of my current websites.

When I go to http://www.theagency.ie/blog.aspx, the flash buttons work perfectly when clicked.
    But when I try http://theagency.ie/blog.aspx, no joy, the button links stop working.

The only difference is the presence of www. in the address.

The code in the .fla file specifies the www. in each of the buttons, but I didn't think this would cause the buttons to stop working.

I've found a workaround using a redirect, but it isn't ideal.
    Any idea how to solve this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Random guess. You've got something like

getURL("http://www.theagency.ie/blog.aspx");

Why not just use this, and leave out the URL entirely.

getURL("/blog.aspx");

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Thanks for the reply.
    I changed the code a bit, but the problem persists.

The code I have is currently -
    contact_btn.onRelease = function(){getURL("/contact_us.aspx", "_self", "GET")}

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The working example doesn't get the url on the release, but on the button press, could that be part of the problem?

Incidentally, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but having that flash menu is giving you no favours for googling. You can achieve that effect with CSS (although the rollover effect would be snappier and not with such complex font colour effects).

ps: please send me Natashas number :D

pps:is it really a good idea showing the faces of undercover private investigators on the site?!
    ppps: and probably not a good idea to say "Fax: Currently broken (sorry)" - just don't mention the fax number if you don't have one, it looks bad otherwise!

/ah crap, didn't realise it wasn't a real PI company, I've been gotcha'd.

Gordon wrote: »
    The working example doesn't get the url on the release, but on the button press, could that be part of the problem?

Incidentally, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but having that flash menu is giving you no favours for googling. You can achieve that effect with CSS (although the rollover effect would be snappier and not with such complex font colour effects).

/ah crap, didn't realise it wasn't a real PI company, I've been gotcha'd.

Yeah, it's my final year college project :D
    The fact that it managed to fool someone for a while will come in handy for my presentation next week!

Out of interest, what eventually made you realise it was a fake? The big link in my sig, or something on the actual site?

That's true about the buttons. That's due to the stupid way I have them coded on that particular site (code is within the down part of the button).
    On the other website (here), the code is in the root of the fla file, and the same basic problem occurs.

Hmm, not sure why, does it have the same effect with the slash in the /contact_us? And what's the reason for using GET, are you passing variables back to the pages you are going to?

I realised it was fake when I kept seeing more things that made me think "wow, this is a shoddy business, broken fax, strange 'relationship feel', look at the guy showing off their cutting edge equipment, hey he just kicked the computer.. o wait.." And then looking at the link in the sig cemented it (I'm not that bright!) Nice one :)

• Advertisement

Hmm, not sure why, does it have the same effect with the slash in the /contact_us? And what's the reason for using GET, are you passing variables back to the pages you are going to?

I just threw in the GET to see if it made any difference with the problem. It didn't :(
    I realised it was fake when I kept seeing more things that made me think "wow, this is a shoddy business, broken fax, strange 'relationship feel', look at the guy showing off their cutting edge equipment, hey he just kicked the computer.. o wait.." And then looking at the link in the sig cemented it (I'm not that bright!) Nice one :)

I'm glad you got that vibe as it's exactly what I was going for! Half ars*d, unprofessional Irish chancers.
    If you think mine looks shabby you should see some of the real Irish PI's, like this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

RichyX wrote: »
    Yeah, it's my final year college project

What final year college project has you implementing website menus in Flash ? :eek:

Do they want to ensure that the sites can't be found in Google or what ?

RichyX wrote: »
    I just threw in the GET to see if it made any difference with the problem. It didn't :(

I'm glad you got that vibe as it's exactly what I was going for! Half ars*d, unprofessional Irish chancers.
    If you think mine looks shabby you should see some of the real Irish PI's, like this one.
    Yes, that's an interesting site..

I tested this actionscript:
    on (release){
    	getURL('remov.htm', "_self");
    }

And it worked fine for me on www and non-www. But when I put the slash in front of the url it didn't like it, and seemed to kick me up a level to www.domain.com/remov.htm when it should have stayed at www.domain.com/test/remov.htm

So maybe the slash is problematic. I tried your code and got the same result from www and non-www.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And it worked fine for me on www and non-www. But when I put the slash in front of the url it didn't like it, and seemed to kick me up a level to www.domain.com/remov.htm when it should have stayed at www.domain.com/test/remov.htm

So maybe the slash is problematic. I tried your code and got the same result from www and non-www.

A "/" in front of a URL will access the web root, and look for the file there.

No "/" looks in the current folder.

So the above is to be expected, no ? /remov.htm will ALWAYS look in the web root.

Advertisement