Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Comments Welcome

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:17pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 175€
    Graphics card : ATI Radeon HD4870 198.99€
    Motherboard : ASUS P5Q 112.99€
    RAM chips : OCZ DDR2 Gold Edition 2 x 2 Go PC2-8500 (1066MHz) 44.49€
    Storage (HDD): Western Digital 1TB SATA 89.88€
    Case: Antec P182 124.99€
    HIPER Power supply S625 79.99€
    NOCTUA NH-U9B CPU fan 49.99€

Total Price 876€

Anything obviously 'wrong' with this build ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nice, only thing I'd change is the Hiper psu, JohnnyGURU only gave it a mediocre review, here, You could get a better for that amount of cash. You don't say where You're buying, do they stock Corsair psu's? Reason being is that he scores this Corsair 9.5, this one 9 and the Hiper only 8 out of 10, Johnny knows his stuff

All else is Cool, Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pixmania have the 4890 for a few quid cheaper than you are getting that 4870 for. Might be worth going with that (the delivery will probably make it more expensive than the 4870).

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2719635/art/pixmania/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-ddr5-p.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Pixmania have the 4890 for a few quid cheaper than you are getting that 4870 for. Might be worth going with that (the delivery will probably make it more expensive than the 4870).

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2719635/art/pixmania/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-ddr5-p.html

Thanks for that!

The specific card I want is the :

HIS HD 4870 - 512Mb GDDR5 - IceQ 4 Turbo

as with a little fine tuning it's one of the quietest cards out there (but very load out-of-the-box).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The sapphire 4870 1GB is a little on the loud side when it gets going (I don't notice it as much as I generally have my speakers up quite high) so I imagine the 4890 would be a little loud too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I got a 4850X2 - all the reviews said it was a hoover, the loudest card in idle they had ever heard, they all were so sure of it I ordered two Zalman GFX coolers to go with it, well it's not loud - not in the slightest, it's actually quieter than my 8800gt's in sli,

It's not loud AT ALL, fools damn fools, i did take off the shroud before I installed don't know if thats a factor but I was so disgusted with all the reviewers, couldn't understand how they could get it so wrong and cost me lots of money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MooseJam wrote: »
    I got a 4850X2 - all the reviews said it was a hoover, the loudest card in idle they had ever heard, they all were so sure of it I ordered two Zalman GFX coolers to go with it, well it's not loud - not in the slightest, it's actually quieter than my 8800gt's in sli,

It's not loud AT ALL, fools damn fools, i did take off the shroud before I installed don't know if thats a factor but I was so disgusted with all the reviewers, couldn't understand how they could get it so wrong and cost me lots of money
    housemate flashed the 4850x2 to get the fan speed to 3% for general usage.

removed the black shroud thing as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just to say "Thanks" to all that replied. I changed the psu as suggested and uprgaded case from 182 to 183 model and just got it delivered :)

Thanks again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thread fails without pics :D

Advertisement