Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic flooring advice

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a small home studio in my attic at home. The room itself won't take up the full space in the attic only roughly half. The idea I have is to build the frame from wood, chipboard on either side and have the soundproofing material between the sheets. A fairly simple design but I'm just not sure what to do for the flooring. At the moment there is no floor up there and wooden beams running across the space. Any help would be great!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

lampydoo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm planning on building a small home studio in my attic at home. The room itself won't take up the full space in the attic only roughly half. The idea I have is to build the frame from wood, chipboard on either side and have the soundproofing material between the sheets. A fairly simple design but I'm just not sure what to do for the flooring. At the moment there is no floor up there and wooden beams running across the space. Any help would be great!

Cheers!

I am not sure what your mean by Wooden beams running across. Are they the ceiling joists? If they are the collar ties, truss webs or purlins then you need to seek advise from a professional as altering the stucture of your roof is not a DIY job

You also need to consider the size of the joists you intend to floor on. They need to be at least 6" in depth to prevent flex and damage to the plasterboard down below.

Also. The wall you intend to build must be supported by a load bearing wall down stairs . A normal stud wall downstairs should be fine as long as the intended wall in the attic is small.

there is 2' X 8' 3/4" T&G OSB Flooring board available at any provider that would be perfect for your application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

it would be great if yout could take a picture of the attic floor and post it maybe then we could help. all ill say for now is until you get advice cut nothing in the attic! people often do to gain space.

Advertisement