Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sms, now no sms... can anyone help?

• 22-04-2009 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all
    I was writing sms to a friend abroad (I'm on O2) but sudddenly none of my sms deliver anymore. I can still make calls to this number and i can receive sms from this foreign number but i just can't figure out why the sms service seems to have stopped for me.
    I phoned my network about this but their explanation was that my friends network don't have a contract with O2 (which is incorrect actually, i checked it)

Does anyone have any ideas why this could happen or has this happened to any of you too?

This really did come out of the blue all of a sudden just over a month ago and is showing no sign of going away

Thanks everyone

DG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Firstly i presume you can still text over here just fine?

Are you just not getting delivery reports for this foreign number or has your friend confirmed not getting your texts?

Its not uncommon that he can send you texts and you couldn't due to agreements between the networks. Usually if you call call, you can text.
    What is the network and country for your friend? And how did you check it they have an agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Hi Davy
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes i have no problems at all with texting anyone else. It's a Hungarian number and is on the T-Mobile network there.
    My friend has confirmed that none of my sms have arrived since the start of March.
    It's just odd since there had been no difficulties with texting at all for the last 2 years...

Well it is strange since it was working fine for so long. It is possible that they have changed agreements between the networks. Have you asked him if he is getting texts from other o2 people? or from other irish networks?

Also how did you confirm they still have an agreement? They do have an agreement while 'Roaming' in hungry but thats not the same has being here sending over to their to another network. If your friend had an o2 sim, he could most likely receive your texts while roaming over there. Receiving texts is free. If he doesn't have a o2 sim, you could send him a one. They are available free here.

Also o2 has free webtexts to international numbers, so try that to see if they go through to him ok. If they do, you could use a program on your phone called cabbagetexter which would allow you to send free webtexts from your phone for a small data charge roughly 2 cent or free from wifi.

A lot in this, but try some of these options and let me know how you get on

Thanks again Davy
    I've tried the free webtext from the O2 website, that doesn't work either. Same as from my phone i'm afraid...
    I will try out your other suggestions though
    To be honest i'm kind of hoping this problem somehow disappears.
    Cheers again
    DG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I take it that it's not an Irish phone on Hungary so and that it was bought over there.
    As far as I know you can only text Irish mobiles from the webtext. Unusual though that you can't text him now if you have been doing so for the past 2 years!

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I take it that it's not an Irish phone on Hungary so and that it was bought over there.
    As far as I know you can only text Irish mobiles from the webtext. Unusual though that you can't text him now if you have been doing so for the past 2 years!

Its a Hungarian number the op is texting.

And also o2 allow free international webtexts. They even provide a drop down number fro which to send to the foreign countries.

Hi bobcar61
    No it's a Hungarian phone and it is possible to text any country network in the world now on the O2 website, but you're right... everything fine for 2 years and all of a sudden i am totally 'blocked', for want of a better word...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Three network currently have a tech issue with overseas texting. Messages from/to abroad are not being sent or recieved. Sounds similar to the ops situation. Local texts are not affected.

I noticed this issue on Tuesday, and rang them today. They are still trying to fix it, apparrently.

Oryx wrote: »
    Three network currently have a tech issue with overseas texting. Messages from/to abroad are not being sent or recieved. Sounds similar to the ops situation. Local texts are not affected.

I noticed this issue on Tuesday, and rang them today. They are still trying to fix it, apparrently.

To all overseas texts at the moment? They have always had a problem with texts not arriving, or constant duplicate texts

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Davy wrote: »
    To all overseas texts at the moment? They have always had a problem with texts not arriving, or constant duplicate texts
    Ive been having a problem sending and receiving overseas texts, and when I phoned the nice man from India said that they are aware of a technical problem with overseas texting at the moment and are working on it. He couldnt give me a fix time or date, just to 'keep trying'.

I havent had issues with duplicates or non arriving texts unless my phone is out of coverage for a few hours, it takes ages for any held messages to come through. To be honest, I was with o2 before 3, and they were far worse for delayed messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 egnisz

Hi,

I noticed the same problem. I'm from Hungary and I can text all my friends but not the ones with t-mobile. I logged the issue today with both O2 and T-mobile in Hungary but to be honest don't have high hopes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

T-Mobile are hardly an obscure operator. In general, or at least within the EU, companies should be required to deliver texts to all licenced operators. No excuses.

Advertisement