Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Any ideas for what may com up lads? I just took up Geography this year as a repeat and hope to get a good mark. Any idea what is probable??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Are you going to start one of these threads for every subject you do?! haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

I was considering it! But think I may leave it at these two:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

waterfalls,limestone pavement, volcanoes earhquakes, human interaction with rock cycle(north seas oil and gas explortaion) get shortcuts to success geog, bril

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Waterfall is nearly a guartentee, as it is every year. If you're doing the global interdependence option global warming, deforestation and desertification always come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cianmcs

Waterfall is nearly a guartentee, as it is every year. If you're doing the global interdependence option global warming, deforestation and desertification always come up.

totally agree!!last year i learned off a full question on global warming and deforestation word for word....ended up that i got 87% in the leavin...and i wasnt one of the bright people in the class!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

If you're doing the global interdependence option global warming, deforestation and desertification always come up.

Surely though if it came up last year, they'll have something else this year?
    Trade maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

cianmcs wrote: »
    totally agree!!last year i learned off a full question on global warming and deforestation word for word....ended up that i got 87% in the leavin...and i wasnt one of the bright people in the class!!

It wont come up this year as the examiners are wise to the people who do Geocology can glance up and have a choice of 4 questions rather 3...I qoutin some crash course lady here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

IWishh wrote: »
    Surely though if it came up last year, they'll have something else this year?
    Trade maybe?

I sincerely hope you're not doing geography! Since the geography course was revised in 2006, the global interdependence option on the three papers since 2006 and now, have all had a question which involved global warming, deforestation or desertification. So four years in a row would nearly be a certainty. Have a look:

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2008/LC005ALP000EV.pdf
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC005ALP000EV.pdf
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2006/LC005ALPO16EV.pdf

It wont come up this year as the examiners are wise to the people who do Geocology can glance up and have a choice of 4 questions rather 3...I qoutin some crash course lady here

Any chance of repeating the above but in the sense that people could understand at least one word of what you're trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

what i figure they are trying to say is wrong.. there are 5 essays in geocology, learn 3 and your are guaranteed at least one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

For the Physical section I'd definitely cover Isostatic Movement & Eustatic Movement and the landscapes of adjustment that go with them.
    (How rivers adjust to a change in base level or what have you)

Also, a landform development (So, your waterfall there, or w/e you have prepared, be it the sea stack/arch cave, a cirque etc)

Don't leave out Plate tectonics- and cast an eye on the theories which led to development of plate tectonics.
    (The theory of continental drift & the theory of sea floor spreading - http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/glossary/Contdrift.shtml is a very basic outline, but there's plenty in the books. And plenty more on the web- i just did a very quick search there!)

Look throught the past papers, there's a lot of repitition in the physical section.

If you're doing the Economic Elective- EU Policies are your friends. The CAP and the CFP, know about them. Maybe.

And Geocology- Know plenty on the biomes. The characteristics and Human Impact.

Don't know what else really, they're just a few bits and pieces I'm focusing in on.

For regional, I haven't really got a notion what might appear..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

leesmom wrote: »
    what i figure they are trying to say is wrong.. there are 5 essays in geocology, learn 3 and your are guaranteed at least one

I'm not sure if thats true... I was reading through the exam papers and his essays dont cover every topic. He just puts his notes together that way. I think thats why he says learn all 5 (even though nobody ever would). I'm absolutely terrified that I won't be covered for that, its so many marks. I'm learning essays 1,4 and 5, just hoping thats enough.

Advertisement