Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hydration

• 22-04-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I tend to get headaches after running and think it may be linked to my hydration. I try to drink a lot of water and generally do drink a lot, so why else would I get headaches? Should I be drinking isotonics instead? I am training for 10k so its not like I am out running marathons every weekend. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Not medical advice this :) but you sound as if you drink enough, and plain water is all you need for 10k training. You might conceivably be drinking TOO much - unlikely but you ought to be aware of the possibility of over-hydration. Consult a medical source or reference on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

It could be dehydration even though you are drinking a lot of water. Your body needs to maintain a certain sodium/water balance. A sodium deficiency can cause problems. An isotonic is the first thing to try. The other alternative is a pinch of good quality sea salt in your meal after training. If this doesn’t make a difference go to a GP.

Even though it’s not an issue here its also good to be aware of hyponatremia if you start to exercise for longer periods. This is the risk of drinking too much water and diluting sodium levels to a dangers point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Opps... Did I just give medical advice? I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

Thanks for the responses. Interestingly I've been trying to cut down on adding salt to my food lately, what with all the advice in the media that we eat too much salt. And when I do add salt, I only use sea salt. I will try isotonic drinks first and see if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

If you've no luck with the other suggestions maybe consider having your blood pressure checked... unlikely to be the cause as you're pretty fit but it takes 2 mins and just in case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i find isotonic / sports drinks after training a LOT better than plain water

after a hard session I'll have a milkshake (yazoo) straight afterwards, then a salt drink (nuun tablet in a pint of water) then some food, and a lot more water gradually (maybe a liter over the course of the evening, 4 or 5 glasses of water)

when i used to drink plain water i didnt feel it was being well absorbed.

Advertisement