Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttons!

Options
  • 22-04-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a random topic, but what are the nicest and worst buttons you've pressed on a system or controller? I love the Saturn reset button. Has such a nice click to it. I hate the rubber GB start/select buttons, they feel weird and sometimes they don't press. Hope this makes sense! :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

anything pad related the snes wins everytime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy wrote: »
    anything pad related the snes wins everytime

Unless it's the saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i always thought the nes or master system pads were very basic but very good quality:)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unless it's the saturn.

unless its one of these-
    gravisxterminator-digital-gamepad.jpg

Gravis X-Terminator for the PC. sure, not the best for fighting games. but for freespace, mechwarrior, x-wing vs. tie & just about any other PC game were you need a pad it was the business. the throttle was so handy and the amount of buttons was ludicrous. there is actually another click button underneath on each side of the grips which were placed perfectly for jump jets & afterburners.
    used to f**k ppl up online in mech 3. you were just able to do so much at the one time. jump jet, torso twist, slow speed, aim and fire all pretty much at once. for freespace u could tinker with just about everything. afterburners, equalizing energy settings, changing the settings, change fire mode, missiles.... truly a dream to play with.

and 3 years ago it broke and i havent been able to replace it since. the 360 pad i have hooked up is a jumped up (and more expensive) toy in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The black/white buttons on the original Xbox controllers drove me mental. They were located in such a way that no finger could easily press them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I like the z trigger on the N64, feels very natural, or something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

How about the Amiga CD32 Pad, awesome in every way apart from the godawful rubber start button that would never work first time! Enlarged red button and nice clicky shoulder buttons, aaah the memories.
    cd32pad.png

I had one of those Gravis XTerminator pads myself years ago and I remember it well playing "Tanarus" online and owning ha, throttle button was amazing but those top two buttons were a bitch, I remember playing Jedi Knight with a combination of the pad and kb at same time lol.

Anyone remember these babies...
    turbopad.jpg
    joy037.jpg
    CLICKEDY CLICK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

loved the feel of the mega drive buttons they were great.

gravis exterminator was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Nintendo has the crown for bringing out revolutionary controllers. With the N64 you had the first analogue stick and rumble pack, albeit as an extra and a revolutionary ergonomic design that fit you hand like a glove. With the Wii you have the first truly motion sensitive controller. But for pure ergonomic comfort and perfect button positioning and sensitivity it's hard to do better than the XBOX 360 controller. That said for strategy and FPS gaming nothing beats the old keyboard/mouse combo, the best being the Logitech G19/G9 combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well for ergonomics I absolutely love the Xbox 360 controller, and I love the 4 face buttons. They have the letters actually inside the button so they can never be worn off, plus they just look really good and feel comfortable to press. For quicktime events I find I am much better with the Xbox 360 controller than the PS3 due to their individual solid colours and letters.

I got some Sega Saturn pads in the post recently and even though I love the D-Pad and the feel of the controller, I don't like the buttons, especially the smaller "X,Y,Z" buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Or who could forget the lunacy of the Jaguar controller. All the games coming with the little insert to show which buttons did what hehe :)
    Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

loved the feel of the mega drive buttons they were great.

The velvety smoothness of the Megadrive 6 button awesomeness was even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Xbox 360 guide button...love the noise it makes when ya press it..not to mention you can turn the 360 on and off with that button

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The N64's Z-trigger is indeed sexy; the Wiimote's B-button suffers due to the non-tapered shape.

The satisfying click of a Saturn (model 2) left/right trigger.

The perfect layout & press of the GameCube's A/B buttons.

But best of all, banging on an arcade stick's 30mm buttons :D

Jazzy wrote: »
    unless its one of these-
    gravisxterminator-digital-gamepad.jpg

Gravis X-Terminator for the PC. sure, not the best for fighting games. but for freespace, mechwarrior, x-wing vs. tie & just about any other PC game were you need a pad it was the business. the throttle was so handy and the amount of buttons was ludicrous. there is actually another click button underneath on each side of the grips which were placed perfectly for jump jets & afterburners.
    used to f**k ppl up online in mech 3. you were just able to do so much at the one time. jump jet, torso twist, slow speed, aim and fire all pretty much at once. for freespace u could tinker with just about everything. afterburners, equalizing energy settings, changing the settings, change fire mode, missiles.... truly a dream to play with.

and 3 years ago it broke and i havent been able to replace it since. the 360 pad i have hooked up is a jumped up (and more expensive) toy in comparison

and guess what i found in scotland in a bargain store for £5 a few weeks ago?? couple this with the recent new Mechwarrior announcement and you are looking at one happy Jazzy. gonna reinstall Freespace 2 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I loved the Gamecube's large A button with the bean shaped satelite buttons around it. Nintendo are the master craftsmen of games and consoles.

Advertisement