Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avoiding a lens fogging up?

• 22-04-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

In a very humid situation eg a butterfly enclosure in a Zoo, how would one avoid the lens fogging up and having to wait 20 mins for it to clear (as with the glasses too:D)??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

There's no easy way IMO. Go in and browse for 20mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Don't know if this works but i've seen it posted with regard to moving from outside in a cold climate to inside warm house. This also assumes that you can plan for it.

Place your lens inside a zip lock bag when outside and seal. Bring inside and wait - the ziploc providing 'insulation' from the extreme change in temperature.

As the temperature inside the ziploc bag rises, so too does your lens - nice and slow and controlled.

However, this obviously isn't something you could do spontaneously. Also, i don't know how long it takes to acclimatise in relation to the 20mins that you experienced.

In short, I don't think there is a reliable solution for an immediate fix between cold and hot environments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jon061

It happens to a lot of optical equipment when I take my telescope out for a night of observing I set it up about a half hour before I observe so that the air currents inside the tube of the scope reach almost outside temperature if not whatever im observing will have a shimmering effect. But when it comes to bringing it inside to warmer temps I pop the lens cap back on to stop the front element touching the warm air cause if I didn't it would cause condensation to form on it im sure it apples to camera lens to some degree. Your lens has to reach the temp to whatever room its in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It should really be a minute of fog really, but if it's lasting, and you've got a UV filter on your lens, use natures best defogger - your own saliva! Whether it's for scuba diving or humid environments in the zoo, it works, belive it or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It should really be a minute of fog really, but if it's lasting, and you've got a UV filter on your lens, use natures best defogger - your own saliva! Whether it's for scuba diving or humid environments in the zoo, it works, belive it or not :)

Your right about the diving - I used always spit on the mask - but to spit on a camera lens (in this case without a UV filter which I havn't got to gettig yet) - I don't think its a wise idea.

(Now don't jump down my throat please - but I did use the sleeve of my soft jumper very gently, but even after 15 - 20 mins my lens kept fogging up:().

Mind you when I got outside the air temperature was beautiful:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I'm not sure about preventing it, but I carry a small chamois with me. They work very well for taking care of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gorilla_image

just get a micro-fibre lens cleaning cloth (less than a fiver) and leave it in your camera bag.

just get a micro-fibre lens cleaning cloth (less than a fiver) and leave it in your camera bag.

Yes, I was regretting not having it with me at the time (so the sleeve came in handy which one would nearly always have on!:D)

:eek:!! Dude, I seriously wouldn't recommend using your sleeve, you could damage the coating on your lens, or worse even cause micro scratches...

That's where UV filters come in handy! ;)

• Advertisement

that's ok if you don't mind replacing filters. Maybe I'm just a little holy about my gear, filters and all...;)

I'm certainally not... My gear is... 'well loved'.

ok ok:o:o

I classified it as an emergency - being with friends and kids, I was under pressure to come out of there within a reasonable time:pac:

My list of gear to get is growing - just wish my wallet would do the same!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could prevent this from happening by pre-heating your camera gear before you go in. Moisture is condensing on the lens because it is significantly colder than the room it is in. Carry a hair dryer and perhaps beg for the use of power outlet before going in, or probably better still, pre heat the gear at home more slowly then pack it in an insulated container, perhaps with some gel heating pads.

Most filters will degrade the image quality you get from a lens you use them on.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You could prevent this from happening by pre-heating your camera gear before you go in. Moisture is condensing on the lens because it is significantly colder than the room it is in. Carry a hair dryer and perhaps beg for the use of power outlet before going in, or probably better still, pre heat the gear at home more slowly then pack it in an insulated container, perhaps with some gel heating pads.

Most filters will degrade the image quality you get from a lens you use them on.

Can you ellaborate on this please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^ The glass in most filters is not of as high quality as that in most lenses. Hence a cheap filter attached to an expensive lens reduces its quality, as the light has to pass through the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mumof2 wrote: »
    Can you ellaborate on this please??

Years ago there was a very dedicated fellow - Gary Reese - who tested almost every model of Olympus OM Zuiko lens in a controlled and systamatised manner. A mammoth undertaking involving people from around the world.

In some of the tests, a lens would be tested with and without a UV filter.

In almost every instance the test images with a filter showed noticeable and significant image degradation compared to the same lens without the filter.

It wasn't just 'cheap filters either, we are talking Olympus, Vivitar and B&W (reputedly the best).

I could dredge up the actual results/numbers if anyone's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DMax

The best already mentioned method, before moving from one environment , place equipment in a plastic bag (or air-tight container) with moisture absorbing gel.
    While camera is still cold, avoid opening it in any way, including changing lenses. Warm, humid air entering the body will cause condensation inside, which is much more serious than a lens fogging.
    Zooming a lens in and out can act like a bellows to draw outside air into an SLR body (unless it is the lens with weather sealed lens elements), which is not cool when the body is cold.
    Be gentle to camera. While waiting for gear to warm up (or cool depending from situation) is good to spend your time composing the image in your mind.
    So when the camera is ready you will be ready for great shots.

DMax wrote: »
    The best already mentioned method, before moving from one environment , place equipment in a plastic bag (or air-tight container) with moisture absorbing gel.
    While camera is still cold, avoid opening it in any way, including changing lenses. Warm, humid air entering the body will cause condensation inside, which is much more serious than a lens fogging.
    Zooming a lens in and out can act like a bellows to draw outside air into an SLR body (unless it is the lens with weather sealed lens elements), which is not cool when the body is cold.
    Be gentle to camera. While waiting for gear to warm up (or cool depending from situation) is good to spend your time composing the image in your mind.
    So when the camera is ready you will be ready for great shots.

Thanks so much for your tips!! I didn't know that:eek: Thankfully I used the zoom after the fogging stopped.:)

Advertisement