Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after the SE K800i :| ?

• 22-04-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I bought the SE K800i about 2 years ago, I had it for 1.5 years, I loved it, but one day it wouldn't turn anymore, it had had its day :(. It had a fantastic camera, it took great quality pictures and it was great for texting and a good all-round phone.

I've since bought the Nokia 6500s. It's an ok phone, it looks nice, but I like a phone with a good camera and the 6500s camera is just bad, it's slow to come on and it's hit & miss trying to get a decent picture...

My question is for owners who've owned the SE K800i in the past, what phone do you have now and how does it compare to the camera quality & overall use of the K800i?

Ta :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I bought the SE K800i about 2 years ago, I had it for 1.5 years, I loved it, but one day it wouldn't turn anymore, it had had its day :(. It had a fantastic camera, it took great quality pictures and it was great for texting and a good all-round phone.

I've since bought the Nokia 6500s. It's an ok phone, it looks nice, but I like a phone with a good camera and the 6500s camera is just bad, it's slow to come on and it's hit & miss trying to get a decent picture...

My question is for owners who've owned the SE K800i in the past, what phone do you have now and how does it compare to the camera quality & overall use of the K800i?

Ta :)
    After the K800i, I went for its true successor... the K850i; I don't count the K810i as the K800i's successor, as it was more of a revision. Using the K850i was great for the most part, however, after owning the handset for almost a year, I started experiencing issues such as intermittent low battery notifications and random restarts. After having no end of difficulties, I then moved to my current handset, the X1i. It is a huge departure from the K800i, but I wanted a more versatile handset. I can now access all my email accounts and view them a lot easier too, thanks in large part to the layout of Outlook Mobile and the large 3" screen. While the X1i's 3.2 MP camera isn't as good as the K800i's, it isn't miles away in quality either.

Thankfully, I still have my K800i, so I can always use it whenever the need arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Herself loved her k800i but found the low quality video a bit annoying. I used one myself for a while as a second phone, and have recommended it as a very good handset to others.

There isn't much else out there with the Xenon flash at the moment, so if you take a lot of low light shots your choices are limited.

We've both since upgraded to the Nokia N82. Fantastic handset that is as good or better than the K800i in every way (except maybe battery life and the "mult shot" feature).

In short it takes great pics and video, with added GPS (geo tagging anyone ? ) and WiFi goodness.

Nokia UK were selling them for 200 stg new recently if you know of anyone in NI / UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah the k800i, i loved that phone. Still have it actually, despite it's great camera i just really needed wifi on a phone and after a brief stint with a nokia e61 i bought my 5800 & got it unlocked(Cheers Rad!:pac:). Unfortunately the camera is fairly rubbish, and i dont expect it to improve with further updates. Pah! Still love the 5800 though. I haven't come across many phones that would come close to the k800i's picture quality though, which is a shame really. Phone manufacturers seem to just cram more pixels into camera phones these days and not pay attention to the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Had a K750i for two years and loved it, the the K800i for about the same time and I loved it more than the 750i. The 3.2mp camera on it is great. I have been using the C902 for the past 3 months and even though it has a 5mp camera I'd rate the K800i camera better than it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ah my old k800i. 'Twas a great phone. I just upgraded to the c905 and it is very nice. A little pricey but a great upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

I got the K850i after K800i but didn't like it because of the 3 button touch screen and texting was hard on it because of the keypad layout. Got the C902 after than and having been using it for a while now and am pretty happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

The Xenon flash on the k800 was simply amazing, was a great phone back in the day before the need of Wifi and gps arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ah my old k800i. 'Twas a great phone. I just upgraded to the c905 and it is very nice. A little pricey but a great upgrade.

+1 on the c905. Have it now about 3 weeks and really loving it. It's definitely worth the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I forgot I had the K850i after my K800i, it was a terrible phone, pictures would turn out black most of the time and the phone rebooted all by its self.

I'm considering going back to the K800i...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Had a K800i when it first came out, and thought it was amazing. Unfortunately I was so fond of it that I decided to put it in the washing machine along with a pair of jeans. Subsequently had a K850i, and while I thought the camera on that was just as brilliant, apparently the K800i actually has a better camera, which goes to show how megapixels don't equal performance. Unfortunately, the K850i gave me plenty of trouble (early adopter), with failing touch buttons, unresponsive menus, restarting and the rest. So I got another K800i. Had that for another year or so, until the draw of further functionality caught me and resulted in the 5800XM I have today. The 5800XM is great in almost all of the ways the K800i isn't - it has a large screen, it's got plenty of software, it has amazingly versatile hardware, and it has superb video for a mobile. Unfortunately, right where the K800i was strong, the 5800XM is weak - its camera. I'm hoping that forthcoming camera algorithm's will improve the 5800XM's performance, bu I doubt it will match the K800i's.

It's a pity that since the K800i Sony Ericsson have been in a bit of a rut; all of their phones seem to do the same thing in a different shell. Thankfully now, with the Xperia X1 and the upcoming Idou, they have discovered a bit of innovative vim yet again, but they are no longer up there with Nokia like they once were.

Advertisement