Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to bleach jeans - please help

Options
  • 22-04-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a pair of light blue jeans that I want to bleach dark blue as some colour ran after I bought them and they became oddly patterned. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's too late to return but has anyone ever done this to success at home and if so where on the net or Dublin can I buy the stain please??

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Let me get this right the jeans are light blue and you want to make them dark blue?

They are light blue because they have been died then the dye has been worn down to a light blue.

It's near impossible to dye these with a normal dark blue dye. (Hickeys stock dye as far as I know)

Also if you bleach them and then try dye them the dye won't take.

Sorry for the bad news, how did the colour change?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I did this with a pair of black jeans I had a while ago.

They'd gone a bit faded around the edges and were starting to look worn around the knees, thighs and bum. I just bought regular clothes dye from McCabes pharmacy, think it was about a tenner or so, followed the instructions and it worked really well, not a problem, it was one where you empty a sachet of powder into the washing machine drum.

Just make sure that you don't put a white/light wash in afterwards as there'll still be a bit of residue of the dark dye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I've dyed tons of clothes - it's really easy. Just follow the instructions on the packet. Hickeys and chemists usually sell them, but some places have more of a range than others.

I did use this one on jeans http://www.dylon.co.uk/products/dyes/fabric-dye-for-machine-use/jeans-blue.html but the colour didnt quite turn out as expected. Not as indigo as I would have wanted, more just blue. Mabye try the navy one instead. On any synthetic material the colour can be a bit unpredictable (e.g stretchy jeans) Also, watch out if you are dying a cotton - the colour will take really well to cotton but if the thread for seams is nylon you might be able to see the thread. Sometimes this works fine and sometimes it doesnt.

Advertisement