Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW WILL THE WORLD END??

Options
  • 22-04-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

Will it be weather that kills us? A massive ice age? A massive worldwide drought for years and years? The sun dies and stops shining? Aliens?
    Its going to end some day, but how?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

This is a serious thread lads:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The only thing that will end the world is when the sun expands to encompass it.

Or do you mean life on earth ?

jhegarty wrote: »

No the world !! Like when the dinosaurs got exterminated.
    Eggs on toast sorta thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Jackeenboy wrote: »
    No the world !! Like when the dinosaurs got exterminated.
    Eggs on toast sorta thing..

I am pretty sure the world didn't end then.

Let me check.

Yep , still here.

I am pretty sure the world didn't end then.

Let me check.

Yep , still here.
    Well arent you the smarty pants !
    I mean what would kill us(the human race)?? or and what would end the world completely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

A big dirty virus,no vaccine.only a handful immune.spread by a giant meteor.

redsunset wrote: »
    A big dirty virus,no vaccine.only a handful immune.spread by a giant meteor.
    28 days later like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

could be or maybe a continuous belt of superstorms wrapping around the earth,crippling all in its path.1000 mile an hour winds.so much lightning all land is toast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Post sensibly or not at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Will it be weather that kills us? A massive ice age? A massive worldwide drought for years and years? The sun dies and stops shining? Aliens?

It will end with all the stress thinking about how it will end :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well we could get a mass driver and eject nuclear waste at very high velocities

or we could get big solar sail powered spacecraft to do gravity assist flyby's , lots of them , regular flybys and a couple of hundred million years should allow us to move the earths orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

We are in a interglacial period (Holocene) at the moment. The last ice age ended roughly 12,000 years a ago. It's not a question of will there will be another ice age, but rather when? Having said that, our species probably won't become extinct; a certain amount of the worlds population will survive the next ice age. Will we have a cataclysmic event before then though?

http://www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu/news/story0_1.html
    Evidence of Another Ice Age on the Way

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other research suggests our CO2 has pushed an ice aga away for 1/4 million years

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Another quote from the above link:
    The ultimate significance of human-induced global warming may therefore depend more on how it affects water-vapor transport, than its influence on average global temperature or any effect on the underlying glacial cycle, Kukla said. It is conceivable that greenhouse warming could even hasten the transition to glacial conditions by exacerbating the polar/equatorial temperature difference and increasing the rate of water transport poleward.

Based on the record revealed in ocean and lake sediments, the most likely scenario over the next few thousand years is for the volume of ice in the polar regions to slowly grow, gradually dropping sea level and increasing the polar/equatorial temperature differential. Except near the poles, oceans and continents will remain relatively warm, although the climate will become increasingly unstable. Ultimately, a surge of built-up polar ice into the mid-latitude oceans will plunge the continents into ice-age conditions.

I'm no expert, I just done a google and found this. I don't think a belief in the above would be an argument against the effects of (human induced) climate change but rather that a belief that the natural glacial cycles will overide whatever damage we may do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

malman wrote: »
    Another quote from the above link:

I'm no expert, I just done a google and found this. I don't think a belief in the above would be an argument against the effects of (human induced) climate change but rather that a belief that the natural glacial cycles will overide whatever damage we may do.

Shhh! The environmentalists won't get relected and the environmental companies won't make any money by claiming the sky is falling down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

other research suggests our CO2 has pushed an ice aga away for 1/4 million years
    Well wont they have on there face's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

Why not do it yourself instead of letting nature have all the fun? link-->

http://www.everything2.net/node/1449506

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

With all of us in it.....

Advertisement