Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

premier league tv

• 22-04-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

I think something like this would be better than the current setup with having to buy both SS and Setanta and still not seeing all of your clubs games. I think an individual channel devoted to each team or even 5 or 6 channels divided between teams would be much better. I for one would gladly pay €15-20 a month for the service as opposed to the €30-40 that you have to pay for subs to both SS and Setanta

your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

only if Newcastle are in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

teams with less support would lose out and get less money than they do under the current set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Like a channel dedicated to showing your clubs matches?

It won't happen in England. Maybe over here. The English F.A would step in and crush that idea because if your club was being shown every week live on tv then the grounds would lose a lot of ticket sales thus creating revenue for the various clubs.
    kinaldo wrote: »
    only if Newcastle are in it.

It's called Premier League TV.... We may not be eligible for this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

It sounds great from a consumer's point of view, but would the channel really recoup the £1.7bn that the television rights are currently worth? I find it hard to believe so, particularly in the initial stages. As that money is absolutely vital for many clubs to pay wages, such a gamble would be way too risky for the League.

That_Guy wrote: »

It's called Premier League TV.... We may not be eligible for this. :)
    Yes and unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to subscribe to SKy Sports next season in order to see Shola and co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I love the great amount of €0 I pay to watch any match on.

Internet 4tw.

Holsten wrote: »
    I love the great amount of €0 I pay to watch any match on.

Internet 4tw.
    I fúcking hate watching matches on the internet.

Don't worry they don't show championship matches on the internet so you're safe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah I had to do it tonight, streams cutting out all over the place. Made me start this thread

That_Guy wrote: »
    Don't worry they don't show championship matches on the internet so you're safe. :)
    I'm pretty sure they do, at least for The Championship. I've also seen torrents for entire matches available the next day. Not something I want to indulge in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Its not as good an idea as you think. Here in Spain there are about 4 companies which show every league game on PPV but they are now all complaining saying they are making no money because there is too many options ie: 4. But at between €8 - €12 a pop it dont come cheap.

Talk about one of the national stations La Sexta doing a PPV option for next season starting from only €1 per game. Now thats cheap.

I'm pretty sure they do, at least for The Championship. I've also seen torrents for entire matches available the next day. Not something I want to indulge in though.

Only time I've seen a championship match is when they're live on sky that day/evening.

Still at least with Sky we know we're gonna get a good bit of coverage next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Here in Germany all the bundesliga and liga 2 games are shown live and it doesn't affect the attendance.

jester77 wrote: »
    Here in Germany all the bundesliga and liga 2 games are shown live and it doesn't affect the attendance.

Well the English FA is all (to quote the ABBA song) money money money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jester77 wrote: »

it destroyed attendence in Italy though

it destroyed attendence in Italy though

This is true. It'd only work in Ireland because we don't have easy access to go over to games in England.

That's why Setanta Ireland can only show Premier League games at three of a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

what about people, like me, who watch all games on sky yet my team isnt in the PL

who's games would i buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

redout wrote: »
    Its not as good an idea as you think. Here in Spain there are about 4 companies which show every league game on PPV but they are now all complaining saying they are making no money because there is too many options ie: 4. But at between €8 - €12 a pop it dont come cheap.

Talk about one of the national stations La Sexta doing a PPV option for next season starting from only €1 per game. Now thats cheap.

Most of the links i get for online football are from my spanish friend, who keeps telling me "noone pays for football" in spain, im sure he is probably right on some level (amongst his peers of super spanish internet geeks!)

event wrote: »
    what about people, like me, who watch all games on sky yet my team isnt in the PL

who's games would i buy?

Solution support a PL team. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The premier league might be able to set up a channel in ireland to do this one channel with a red button job as all the matches are recorded anyway but that would even take money out of the tv deals with sky and setanta as both show games in ireland. Maybe a sky sports Ireland Channel would work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The premier league might be able to set up a channel in ireland to do this one channel with a red button job as all the matches are recorded anyway but that would even take money out of the tv deals with sky and setanta as both show games in ireland. Maybe a sky sports Ireland Channel would work

Sky sports Ireland....but I would have feeling it would be taken over by the ga :mad:

Streaming aint so bad though. Considering getting a cable to hook up the laptop to the tv though just isnt the same watching it on a small pc screen.

joe123 wrote: »
    Sky sports Ireland....but I would have feeling it would be taken over by the ga :mad:

Streaming aint so bad though. Considering getting a cable to hook up the laptop to the tv though just isnt the same watching it on a small pc screen.
    I got a hdmi cable hooks the lappy straight up to the tv but i hate watching streams i'd prefer to pay for it and get a great bit of coverage in english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Seriously, how much do people want to bastardise the sport? Having every single match available on TV viewing would be the worst thing ever for stadium atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

DSB wrote: »
    Seriously, how much do people want to bastardise the sport? Having every single match available on TV viewing would be the worst thing ever for stadium atmosphere.

It isnt easy getting to a game week in week out so Ireland wouldnt effect it.

Ya watching the spurs hull match was terrible no atmosphere in the stadium but it wouldn't have too much effect on the stadiums if it was an Ireland thing would it?

joe123 wrote: »
    It isnt easy getting to a game week in week out so Ireland wouldnt effect it.

It'd massively affect the Irish people travelling over for games, which the more hardcore support over here do.

Ya watching the spurs hull match was terrible no atmosphere in the stadium but it wouldn't have too much effect on the stadiums if it was an Ireland thing would it?

It'd be the start of a horrible trend anyway. I'm not against watching football on TV by any means, but the idea of having any football match available on TV destroys a sport that is meant to be enjoyed in the flesh imo. Over saturation to the max and you may aswell be tuning into a daily episode of Neighbours if this ever became the case.

DSB wrote: »
    It'd be the start of a horrible trend anyway. I'm not against watching football on TV by any means, but the idea of having any football match available on TV destroys a sport that is meant to be enjoyed in the flesh imo. Over saturation to the max and you may aswell be tuning into a daily episode of Neighbours if this ever became the case.

Little annoying though for "lower teams" who don't get much coverage than say the "top four".

Setanta may as well just rename their channel Liverpool TV. Week in week out they seem to be on.

Advertisement