Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not nice creatures of the sea

• 22-04-2009 10:53pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Seeing that summer is approaching I just wanted to bring up the topic of swimming in the sea.

When I go swimming I sometimes get the creeps when I see sea weed and stuff floating I start imagining all sorts of creatures are around me.:eek:
    Jelly fish give me da shivers.. I have a brother that mentioned weaver fish that bury themselves in the sand and if you step on their spines they can kill as a result now I never enter the sea without sea shoes on...Are there fish that can bite? I was looking at them wormy yokes in another thread Not Nice..

Am I just being paranoid or are there things to be wary of when swimming off the coasts of Ireland?

I love the sea I'm just not too gone on its inhabitants..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Never heard of anyone dying from weaver fish, they give a very nasty sting - but, I suppose it's possible if someone has a heart condition!

We get them around here in W.Clare - be warned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Weaver fish can kill but it's extremely rare(almost unheard of). The worse common animal we have around Irish coasts is lions mane jellyfish and a rash vest/wetsuit will help protect you. The sting is painful but bearable. It feels like a bee sting in a line and eaves welts on the skin. Repeated exposure can cause reactions in some people but for the occasional swimmer this won't be a problem. I'd personally be more concerned with the cold and currents than anything else as these are the real killers in Irish waters.

Advertisement