Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman refund. 5 months on?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, bought a tv in Harvey Norman last November, iv been using it for PS3 and sky digital but i recently got sky HD and there were problems problems, basically anytime i change channel the tv goes blank and the sound cuts, this only lasts a few seconds before normal viewing resumes. it happens EVERY time i change channel. I googled the problem and apparently its happens on ALL models. Tried a firmware update and no luck.

I know if i call up Philips they will send it for repair as its still under warranty but i know nothing can be done as iv check loads of forums and everyone said they were stuck.

What i want to know though is will Harvey Norman offer store credit for the TV as i bought it there. I have a receipt. Will the above situation entitle me to an exchange? All i want is a different band TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Chances are they'll send it for repair. They'll always try that before offering credit/refunds as if they offer credit and send it for repair, then they're stuck with an old used TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ok so what happens when they find out it cant be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Repair, repair, repair, followed by... oooo... if it's unfixable... most likely a replacement. Of the same model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Remember thay only get one chance to repair it under the the law, that repair MUST be a permanent fix of the issue for the life of the item.

MC

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

My sister bought a philips tv in harvery there last week.
    she is planning on getting sky hd too. would you mind telling me the model please she has not opened it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Remember thay only get one chance to repair it under the the law, that repair MUST be a permanent fix of the issue for the life of the item.

MC

Try telling that to the phone companies.....

Try telling that to the phone companies.....

I hear ya! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

If that's the case than how are mobile phone stores legally allowed to send a phone away for repair 3times before they replace? They have been doing this for more than 5years...

MC

They aren't, 3 have been making up their own rules as they go.

MC

Ah crap, chances of me getting a different brand TV are fairly slim so, i cant believe Philips would make a TV that interupted HD broadcasting in such a way, the problem is (even tho the setting is not on auto) that when i change channel the tv searches to see what format the channel is in (whether 4:3 16:9 or "widescreen") and while doing this the picture blanks for a moment.

Its EXTREMELY annoying while channel hopping, it happens everytime a moving picture comes into the frame so if i go into anytime TV it happens too

Tv is a Philips 37PFL5603D/10, its a great TV apart from this pretty big flaw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Are you sure it's not the Sky box? A similar thing happens with mine but it doesn't really bother me. Seeing the picture one second sooner won't make the shows any less sh1te.

Well i tried it with another tv via hdmi and that tv was fine, it was samsung! Its a bit silly really but it can be really annoying, im very particular about that sort of thing. If it doesnt work the way its supposed to i get frustrated...

Channel hopping will never be the same!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

surely its the sky box?

everything was fine until it was plugged in.

not the fault of the TV or retailer but sky?

Well iv googled the problem and there are loads of people all over the place that have the same issue with Sky HD, Like i said i tried it with another TV and it was fine so it must be the TV and not the HD box!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

but the telly works. it might not work for another product you got it for but that surely isnt the fault of the retailer, that is down to the end user.

But not functioning properly for all digital broadcasts through HDMI is a fairly major flaw!!!! You would think Philips would test for such a thing. Never again will i buy Philips!!!

Advertisement