Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start fishing...

Options
  • 22-04-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi guys, im interested in giving this a try but the problem is i have no clue what to do, what equipment to buy, or where to fish... Im in mitchelstown and fermoy are and i dont know where the fishing spots are. Any insights and ideas would be so much appreciated. Btw i also dont know where to find fishing equipment so if anyone could point me in the right direction id be eternally grateful ^^

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Walk into a local fishing tackle shop, or all of them.
    Ask about local clubs and contacts for them.
    Tackle shops:
    http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/tackleshops/cork.htm
    Or go to Ballyhass lakes, and learn to fly fish in a commercial fishery which has higher stocks of fish.
    They rent fishing gear for a day's fishing if you ask.
    http://www.ballyhasslakes.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭acidburn51737

Thanks man ill visit those sites right away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hi guys, im interested in giving this a try but the problem is i have no clue what to do, what equipment to buy, or where to fish... Im in mitchelstown and fermoy are and i dont know where the fishing spots are. Any insights and ideas would be so much appreciated. Btw i also dont know where to find fishing equipment so if anyone could point me in the right direction id be eternally grateful ^^

I fish Fermoy very regularly - river is getting limited due to a dispute with the Fermoy Salmon Anglers Assoc. nabbing the rights, but there are some good free access spots such as Barnane Walk (near the weir). Also Knockannanig Reservoir is good fun - plenty of Tench & Bream.

There is a tackle shop in Fermoy on Richmond Hill (converted house) which is great for local knowledge & also the Fermoy Course Angling Assoc. (Team Manager/ Captain Tommy Lawton, Rath-Healy, Fermoy, Co. Cork. Ireland.
    Tel/Fax 00353 25 33574)

I'll PM you with some local spots that you could try & if you need any advice on gear I'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Andi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭acidburn51737

thanks Andip id really appreciate that since i dont know anything about fishing lol... btw i have friend whose also interested... he lives in fermoy in mill road... id also appreciate it if you could give me some insights on what equipment to buy for starters... good but not too expensive gear is ideal coz were just starting... im going to fermoy tomorrow to bring my son and aunt to my sister's house coz their going to the movies later in the afternoon and ill go see if the guys in richmond hill are open by 8am lol... btw could you please give me an idea how much i would spend on starting gear?

Cheers!!!

Advertisement