Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEVER buy beer in Centra Glasthule (rant)

Options
  • 22-04-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Was planning on going out tonight, so I headed down to Centra at around a quarter to ten to buy a six pack of Corona. Went down there, bought my beer, and started to walk home.

When I got to the church in Glasthule (about 2 minutes out the door of Centra) the end of the carton the bottles were in split open. I was carrying it by the handle as advised, no warning whatsoever that anything was going to happen. On closer inspection it looked like something had been spilled over the end of the carton making the edges of it wet and feeble. Anyway three of the bottles spilled out and smashed on the pavement.

Fuming, I cleared up the bottles and went back to Centra to demand a refund. When I got there ,I asked them for either a refund, r three bottles of Corona to replace the three which had broken (I managed to save the half of the carton which didn't rip). The supervisor came out and informed me that (a) they couldn't give me a refund or replace the beer because they had no proof that I didn't rip it myself (as if I'd just throw away three bottles of beer a minute after leaving the shop), and (b) I couldn't buy three more because it was not about a minute past ten and they were obliged to close the off license counter.

I am seriously pissed off right now. That's 6 euro down the drain. It's not much I know but it's the principle - the box was clearly already damaged, there's no way it was my fault. I wasn't running or swinging it or anything, I just walked out of the shop and it suddenly tore open. And at a minute past ten, given what had happened, they couldn't either give me three more bottles or, if they insisted, made me buy them?

Turned out that most of my friends weren't going out anyway so it doesn't matter, and I still have three bottles, but wasting money like that on a dogy product and not getting a refund is ridiculous. I'm never going there for beer again.

</rant>

Anyone had similar experiences there (or, indeed, anywhere else)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Similar thing happened to be with a six pack in a cardboard crate. Handle ripped about 30 yards from the front door of the supermarket, and several of the bottles smashed on the path. I picked up the bigger pieces of glass and returned to the shop to see what could be done.

The shop replaced the bottles immediately, no questions asked, and even dispatched an employee with a brush and pan to clean up the remaining glass, despite the fact that it was on a public footpath. I was very impressed, but not really surprised with the customer service.

In a franchise such as Centra or Spar, you'll be lucky to get a gesture of goodwill from the manager/employee. Given that every piece of stock and last cent has to be accounted for in shops like these, there's virtually no leeway given to staff to give concessions that would be good gestures of customer service.

It the same difference between some bigger pubs and smaller, independent establishments. Even if you accidentally dropped a pint, it would be immediately replaced free of charge as a gesture of goodwill by the bartender, whereas in larger chain bars, this can often not be the case.

P.s. My accident happened in Manhattan, so no surprise there on the customer service really.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Oh man if I was the supervisor I would have done the exavt same thing and passed no appology either! I know you are p****d off about the bottles falling out and breaking buyt surely you would have noticed it when you picked them up or at the checkout. Shops always get people trying to get free stuff - not saying for a sec that you were trying that but how were they to know - afterall you didnt break it in the shop. And if you were a mystery shopper from the health board and they handed you over 3 bottles they would prob have lost their liscence. Look on the bright side you already have 3 bottles for the next night you decide to head out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wow, so I'm not alone!
    Unbelievable, isn't it? Maybe I should stick to somewhere like O Briens up near the Pavillion instead, although it's a chain as well...

Problem is, around Dun Laoghaire, there aren't many independent shops. It's all Centra / Tesco / Spar sadly. And the few independent shops like Alex's don't sell beer so in this particular case it wouldn't have done me any good either...

No point in being bitter about it I suppose. I'll just be glad that I saved three of the bottles, remind myself never to shop there unless it's unavoidable, and if so, ask for three plastic bags for extra protection, carry the box in my arms to support the bottom, and get a friend to film the entire journey back to my gaff just in case anything goes wrong :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While you may have been annoyed if it was past 10pm Centra could loose their license by selling beer, as such its not worth it for the sake of a few bottles of beer to sell them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lol, I would never carry them by the handle, ALWAYS get a plastic bag for that shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thinking about it, I always carry any form of cardboard holder from underneath. I don't trust them.

TBH, although it was a sh*tty thing to have happened, you can't prove to the shop that they are to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the shops admitted liability for damaged cartons they would also leave themselves wide open for claims from anyone cutting themselves on broken glass in the area. It doesn't take much to carry one of those heavy duty reusable supermarket bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

That's ****ty of the shop - most shops can get credit from the wholesalers if they send back the neck of the bottle with the bottle cap still attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

sunnyjim wrote: »
    That's ****ty of the shop - most shops can get credit from the wholesalers if they send back the neck of the bottle with the bottle cap still attached.

The shop in question would not get any credit for this. I think this is down to hard luck. Why should the shop replace it?

If the pack said use handle, then ring coronas' agent in ireland and give them loads.

Any gesture by the shop would be just that - a gesture, and its quite possible the manager on duty did not have the authority to give replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the OP didnt store the cardboard container in unsuitable conditions, hence causing the wrapping to tear, the store did.

Hence the store has a moral responsibility here.

• Advertisement

the OP didnt store the cardboard container in unsuitable conditions, hence causing the wrapping to tear, the store did.

Hence the store has a moral responsibility here.

Did they ?

It could and does happen at the warehouse, on the truck, in the store etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

OP bought the 6 bottles which included the carton for holding the bottles. the carton wasn't fit for the purpose intended.

so IMO, the responsibility lies with the shop to remedy the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

bennyob wrote: »
    OP bought the 6 bottles which included the carton for holding the bottles. the carton wasn't fit for the purpose intended.

so IMO, the responsibility lies with the shop to remedy the situation.
    Why? The shop don't make the cartons.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Why? The shop don't make the cartons.

The shop don't make anything, they are still responsible for everything they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the contract is between the shop and the consumer.
    if the goods werent fit for purpose the shop should repair/replace/refund/

give the shop a call during the day and speak with the proper manager.
    explain the situation and they should look after you.
    if they wont, its up to you if you want the moral victoy of taking it to the SCC.

wrt the 10pm thing, obriens etc would have been closed so you would be in the same boat im afraid.
    they cant sell beer after 10 so not really anything they could do to sell you more, but im sure they could have replaced it wihtout penalty if the duty manager had authority

The beer is meant for drinking so it was fit for purpose, packaging is different. This is a waste of time.

As for going to the small claims court, GET A GRIP ! It costs 15 quid just to do that and that outweighs the damage.

Advertisement