Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV then Skilled Migrant Visa

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a software developer with a PhD, 30, working full-time in the area for over 4 years and currently employed in Ireland, so hopefully I meet the criteria for a skilled migrant visa.

My contract is up here soon and I want to leave for possibly Melbourne or Brisbane, at the end of September.

I'm leaving it until about 2 months before I leave to apply for positions over there. My plan is to go with the WHV and put in an application for the skilled migrant visa also. In case I don't get a job sorted out before I go, or in case when I'm there I can't find an employer who'll sponsor me for longer, I'm planning on applying for both visas.

Does anybody know if there's any complications with applying for both, or any hassles with applying for the skilled migrant visa when over there? Any suggestions about a better way to get over there to work, or is the way I'm going about it the best way?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

What area have you work experience in? 4 years is the minimum you will need to get decent short term contracts here and make sure you have plenty of cash to tide you over...there are roles but alot require more than a whv as they are rolling contracts going beyond 6 months...

Have you checked the points for the skilled migration? you can do it online and being 30 will drop your points, so will not having worked here yet...you should really get here, make sure you like it and can source work before spending the 5K or whatever it is on the skilled migrant visa
    I'm leaving it until about 2 months before I leave to apply for positions over there

Pointless really, because you will be on the WHV - all you can do are short term contracts - up to 6 months and most of these will be for an immediate start

Just something to be aware of too...the wind down on employment for Christmas starts pretty early (you should be fine for September) but in my experience in Brisbane and Perth - there is very little movement from Start of November to End of Janauary...

Keep an eye on seek for the relevant cities you want to go to and you will get a feel for the roles coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

work experience is as a lead software developer / researcher / lecturer / postdoctoral work in a university, working on commercial projects. In this area I have 3/over4 years work experience depending on how you look at it...

I suppose I'm being optimistic, but I had an idea that I might be able to pick up contract work and then sponsorship if contracts rolled beyond the time allowed by the WHV. I've been keeping an eye on seek.com.au, and there seems to still be quite a few contract software development roles up there, although many are from agencies.. does anyone know if the recession has hit this area there in Oz in a big way, or are there still some software jobs to pick up? Is NZ any better off in this way? Also where in Oz/NZ is the best place to go for these types of jobs - where is industry located?

I've checked points before and seem to be ok, but will check again now that you say that being 30 affects the points. I'm reluctant to leave it until I get there before applying, because of the time it takes to get it, and the work it would take sourcing documentation from over there... although it is an option.

I take your point about getting there before applying for contract roles. I'm going to try applying for other roles though and see if any companies / universities are willing to sponsor me for positions - does this happen often or am I wasting my time, and better off to apply for these with sponsorship when I get there?

Good point about the wind down from November to January, seeing as I don't plan on getting there really until the start of October... I might have to change that...!

Just on my original question - is it possible to apply for two visas at the same time? I might just ask one of the agencies that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Are you going because you wont have a job or just because you want to leave Ireland, as in will your current contract be extended?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Are you going because you wont have a job or just because you want to leave Ireland, as in will your current contract be extended?

Both, although I could hang out longer before going... contract is finishing alright, and really want to move to Oz / NZ...

you seem to be putting alot of eggs in one basket...I would not reccomend anyone apply for a permanent visa before living somewhere...whats your rush? You can come on the WHV and spend up to tow years here, work and visit all the major places and make sure you want to stay...

You could always do NZ for a year if you decide to apply for the skilled migrant visa...
    lead software developer / researcher / lecturer / postdoctoral work in a university, working on commercial projects

how many years commercial work do you have post phd/university/research? This is far more important in securing contract roles...what is the main technology you have practical commercial experience in? (JEE/.Net etc...)

If you are on a whv, even if you have applied for a skilled migrant visa - i dont think companies will care if they are looking for someone longer term...until you have the skilled migrant visa you will be classed as a whv and only open to more short term contracts....

I would say sponsorship is unlikely, depending on the company and their needs but if you are on short specific contracts and that will be the main focus seeing as you will be on a whv, then sponship will be unlikely...its all timing and luck in this regard i.e. depending on which role you take and with who...
    Just on my original question - is it possible to apply for two visas at the same time? I might just ask one of the agencies that...

Should be no problem, but you have to be here to do the skills certification test in your chosedn field of expertise...and as i said having Oz work experience adds to your points...it only takes 5 mins to check your points online so i would reccomend getting a definite answer on that first....

I still think you would be mad gambling 5k on the visa before you have come and worked here...given that you can secure work

• Advertisement

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    you seem to be putting alot of eggs in one basket...I would not reccomend anyone apply for a permanent visa before living somewhere...whats your rush? You can come on the WHV and spend up to tow years here, work and visit all the major places and make sure you want to stay...

You could always do NZ for a year if you decide to apply for the skilled migrant visa...

Thanks for your replies, mainly I'm afraid of not finding contract work, and having the skilled visa opens the door for longer term roles, whether I stay in them or not... but I would plan to.

not sure how you mean I could always do NZ for a year?
    how many years commercial work do you have post phd/university/research? This is far more important in securing contract roles...what is the main technology you have practical commercial experience in? (JEE/.Net etc...)

will be over 3 years postdoctoral working directly with companies developing new/novel software. Mainly .NET, some Adobe Flash integrated. Over 5 and half years, if I include work done during PhD.
    If you are on a whv, even if you have applied for a skilled migrant visa - i dont think companies will care if they are looking for someone longer term...until you have the skilled migrant visa you will be classed as a whv and only open to more short term contracts....

That's what I'm afraid of, which is why if I apply now I would hope for the visa to come through around February next year, and work more short-term roles before this if I can get them.

I would say sponsorship is unlikely, depending on the company and their needs but if you are on short specific contracts and that will be the main focus seeing as you will be on a whv, then sponship will be unlikely...its all timing and luck in this regard i.e. depending on which role you take and with who...

thanks, I wasn't sure what the story is with this, whether it's common for companies to sponsor someone they want to keep on after a short-term contract, or whether they generally just let them go... I'll have to be careful who I choose, if I have any choice
    Should be no problem, but you have to be here to do the skills certification test in your chosedn field of expertise...and as i said having Oz work experience adds to your points...it only takes 5 mins to check your points online so i would reccomend getting a definite answer on that first....

I still think you would be mad gambling 5k on the visa before you have come and worked here...given that you can secure work
    If I can secure work over there, and am some way sure there are jobs there when I get there, I would be less likely to apply for the skilled migrant visa... I'll check that out now..

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate them!! :)

Thanks for your replies, mainly I'm afraid of not finding contract work, and having the skilled visa opens the door for longer term roles, whether I stay in them or not... but I would plan to.

not sure how you mean I could always do NZ for a year?

You could come on a whv, try a few contract roles and then if you want more permanent roles apply for the skilled migrant...as this could take a year, if your Oz WHV is up...then go to NZ for a year on the WHV while waiting for the skilled migrant visa...

If you have the skills, and there is definitely contract work in .net - then being on a whv hinders you in no way for short term roles of between 3 and 6 months, only the ongoing roles - the key thing is your skills and experience...you are in a decent position having a few yers experience and it should allow you to compete directly with the local australian market for the true short term roles...3 years commercial experience might see you right but ideally 5 years is the magic number...

Not sure what kind of rate you could charge on 3 years but it shouldnt be too bad...feel free to PM me for any other specifics if you want
    If I can secure work over there, and am some way sure there are jobs there when I get there, I would be less likely to apply for the skilled migrant visa... I'll check that out now..

then I would forget about gambling the 5K for the visa + the hassle of getting it if its only to help secure some work....stick with the WHV, bring plenty of cash and once you sort one role, the rest will follow

You could come on a whv, try a few contract roles and then if you want more permanent roles apply for the skilled migrant...as this could take a year, if your Oz WHV is up...then go to NZ for a year on the WHV while waiting for the skilled migrant visa...

If you have the skills, and there is definitely contract work in .net - then being on a whv hinders you in no way for short term roles of between 3 and 6 months, only the ongoing roles - the key thing is your skills and experience...you are in a decent position having a few yers experience and it should allow you to compete directly with the local australian market for the true short term roles...3 years commercial experience might see you right but ideally 5 years is the magic number...

Not sure what kind of rate you could charge on 3 years but it shouldnt be too bad...feel free to PM me for any other specifics if you want

Cheers, thanks a lot. I might PM you alright, are you in the area of software development yourself? getting late here and need to do some more exploring myself before I start annoying you with PMs! :D Not too bothered about what I could charge at this stage, just looking to move out there and not struggle for a year or two!
    then I would forget about gambling the 5K for the visa + the hassle of getting it if its only to help secure some work....stick with the WHV, bring plenty of cash and once you sort one role, the rest will follow
    yup, hopefully the gamble will be worth it! bringing plenty of cash won't be an option, I'll have enough to get me through a two maybe 3 months if i keep things tight when I'm there...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Rates have fallen recently and on a WHV it will be slightly less

3 years exp - 60-80 would be a decent rate

if on a skilled/business visa 70-85 I'd say

Guys I work with are rubbish on $80-110ph and honestly, some don't cut the mustard

hussey wrote: »

Guys I work with are rubbish on $80-110ph and honestly, some don't cut the mustard

Would be happy with 40 if I could get full-time hours out of it!!

• Advertisement

No worries, Im a JEE/Java contractor in my second year of a WHV - so in a pretty similar boat to yourself only a few yers further down the line

+1

No worries, Im a JEE/Java contractor in my second year of a WHV - so in a pretty similar boat to yourself only a few yers further down the line

Definitely expect a couple of PMs in the future so! Will have a few questions around which are the best agencies to go with, etc..!

Definitely expect a couple of PMs in the future so! Will have a few questions around which are the best agencies to go with, etc..!

Agencies, Smagencies...when you get here i reccommend getting a second phone or sim and putting that number on your CV...at least that way you can switch it off when you want...bane of my life

Agencies, Smagencies...when you get here i reccommend getting a second phone or sim and putting that number on your CV...at least that way you can switch it off when you want...bane of my life

lol
    not much different to ireland so!!! :D

lol
    not much different to ireland so!!!

exactly...I used to do this at home and wish i had the forsight here :(

Advertisement