Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage tax relief

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭

I have a mortgage for the last 8 years and am receiving mortgage tax relief, about a year and six months ago i remortgaged the house with a new bank so i paid off the old mortgage and recieved a completley new mortgage. With the new budget stating that mortgages over 7 years will lose their tax relief do i lose my tax relief or is it considered an 1 & 1/2 year mortgage and will i still receive my tax relief.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Kieo wrote: »
    I have a mortgage for the last 8 years and am receiving mortgage tax relief, about a year and six months ago i remortgaged the house with a new bank so i paid off the old mortgage and recieved a completley new mortgage. With the new budget stating that mortgages over 7 years will lose their tax relief do i lose my tax relief or is it considered an 1 & 1/2 year mortgage and will i still receive my tax relief.:confused:

This should be moved to the Banking forum. To answer your q, I would imagine that you won't get fresh TRS ( as in at the level you recieved at the start of your initial mortgage).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Your TRS will end in May 2009, remortgaging does not count as a new mortgage. Only buying a new house or taking out larger amount for extending the property.

Advertisement