Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Ivy Propogation

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Through various misadventures over the last two or three years (builders and over zealous gutter cleaners) the verdant covering all over my house has been reduced to one plant barely hanging on to life.

I can't tell you how sad I am about this, to an irrational extent - it's only a creeper.

The ivy is at least 70 years old, planted originally by my grandfather.

I know I could plant new plants but I'd really like to propogate from the existing surviving one, kind of preserving the continuity.

Last year I tried some cuttings with that years growth, basically by putting them into water hoping they'd root and also putting others into compost and a window sill propogator thing. Neither worked.

I think this year could be my last chance as the final plant isn't looking the best.

How can I propogate from it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Google plant layering and/or plant air layering churchview.
    Its basically forming a new plant root system whilst the cutting is still on the life support of the original.
    That should see you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Many thanks Irish Gardener, much appreciated.

I've googled it and it seems straightforward provided I follow the instructions carefully.

Another few questions if you don't mind please?

1. Spaghnum moss is to be used. Can I use moss directly from my "lawn", which hasn't seen any chemicals in over ten years. If not, where can I get spaghnum moss - ivy is in Galway by the way?

2. Is it too early to do this? I know that it's now technically spring, but would I be better to wait?

3. There are two methods described everywhere I look. One in involves cutting a strip of bark away and the other involves cutting a slit and wedging it open. I presume with Boston ivy I should use the latter?

If possible to do it now, I'll do it on previous years growth and later on towards mid-Summer, I'll do more on current years growth.

Many thanks again, and sorry for all the supplementary questions.

If you have a flexible stem you can and bury it about 3 inches of it 3 inches below the soil then 3 inches above soil then 3 inches below and so on in a sea serpent type fashion until you have used up the full stem.
    You can peg down with bent pieces of wire if you need.
    The rooted sections can be removed this time next year.
    This is the top method to try now.

Sphagnum moss is what we have in the bog before peat moss and should be available in many garden centres which host a floristry section. It is sometimes used for decoration on displays etc.
    Plain bagged moss peat would be ok to use as well.
    Wet both thoroughly before use.

The slit and wedging it open method should be grand on an established Boston Ivy.
    Early-mid summer for this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If you have a flexible stem you can and bury it about 3 inches of it 3 inches below the soil then 3 inches above soil then 3 inches below and so on in a sea serpent type fashion until you have used up the full stem.

And would you cut a slit in each piece under the soil or add some root promoter stuff?

Should be no need for rooting hormone.
    "cut a slit in each piece" may be a bit far to go, say if the stem was a touch old and on the woody side then I would usually scrape its underside with a penknife alright.
    Just enough to expose a glimmer of sap.
    No your real concern will be preventing the area you are layering in from drying out, regular watering required in many cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement