Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on Darwin or Adelaide

Options
  • 23-04-2009 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been working here in Perth for the last few months. I did find it hard in the beginning but I eventually got sorted with a handy software testing job. Just gotta have a thick skin for anyone coming over cos you will get a fair few rejections.

Anyway onto why I'm posting. I'm thinking its about time that I get my ass in gear and get my 2nd yr visa sorted. I don't really wanna go farming but if needs muct I will. I've been running with the idea of headin to Darwin or Adelaide, I know there oppisite ends of the country but its one extreme or the other and both there postcode's work for the 3months required work.

Has anyone lived/worked there, can you share the pro's and cons.
    Or does anyone recommend another town? Just looking for somewhere that I'm not gonna get totally bored.

On another note I'm applying for my skilled visa as IT is still on the list, i've heard rumours like you do over here that it will take 18+ months to sort out and if IT is taken off the list in that time I will loss my money. Anyone give a definite answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Im in a similar situation. Just finished work today as my 6 months were up. Most likely heading north as its coming into fruit picking season up there. Have a few mates in Kununarra so might just check it out.
    Its pretty remote but it serves a purpose. Would like to take the scenic route from Perth there though as I hear there are some nice spots along the way. Need my 2nd year visa as going home isnt an option yet and time is running out to get the 3 months required in. Dont mind doing the hard labour its just being in a remote area for a while. Booze should numb that though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

I lived in Darwin for 4 months. Really liked the place. Its pretty small but the locals are nice and weekends are good up there. I would definetly just go labouring in Darwin for the 2nd year rather than fruit picking out in the middle of no place for s**t money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Im in a similar situation. Just finished work today as my 6 months were up. Most likely heading north as its coming into fruit picking season up there. Have a few mates in Kununarra so might just check it out.
    Its pretty remote but it serves a purpose. Would like to take the scenic route from Perth there though as I hear there are some nice spots along the way. Need my 2nd year visa as going home isnt an option yet and time is running out to get the 3 months required in. Dont mind doing the hard labour its just being in a remote area for a while. Booze should numb that though

Yeah definitely head up North, weather will be better and the North of WA is a beautiful place...the whole top end across to Darwin is beautiful and the weather will be spot on in Winter (the Dry Season)...

Kununurra is a beautiful little town, would probably get to you after a while but you have Broome or across to Darwin itself where you might be able to get a better job with better money...Darwin is a nice little town too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

writetojd wrote: »
    Would like to take the scenic route from Perth there though as I hear there are some nice spots along the way. Need my 2nd year visa as going home isnt an option yet and time is running out to get the 3 months required in. Dont mind doing the hard labour its just being in a remote area for a while. Booze should numb that though :D

I know that feeling plus wanna get it sorted before the government change their mind and ship me home. The more I find out and talk to people about Darwin the better it sounds. Looks like i'm gonna head up in mid may or start of june. Gotta keep my fingers crossed that my mechanical skills are up to the task, gotta few repairs to make on the car before i set out

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Sorry for bumping this but I thought it made more sense than starting a new thread. I'm just wondering does anyone know what it's like to find casual/short term work in Darwin these days? (Ishould probably clarify that it's for someone of the female persuasion so I don't think I'd be too welcome on a building site!)

We're in Perth at the minute but I'm trying to persuade people that moving north for the winter might be an option and if there was a decent chance of picking up work for a month or so in Darwin I think I'd have a better choice of travelling companions. Thanks for any info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement