Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CrossFit Ireland Fitness Invitational

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

hanley, all of lifes great problems can be simplified to moving things up and down, its science man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hanley wrote: »
    Yah, you lightweight guys put me to shame tho!!

41.5 inches - tho I expect it'll go up as my weight comes down (I'm 109kg in it)

wow i am impressed.

Now just do 4 more in a row!! It was 5 reps in a row (well i got 4 good ones).

I am 91kg so little heavier that the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

hanley, all of lifes great problems can be simplified to moving things up and down, its science man!

Dude, you should make it down to the Invitational, it'll be good fun. You'll be exposed to a different type of training, get to pick mine, Will's, Transform's, G'em's, Hanely's brain about training and exercise - which in itself is a HYOOOGE benefit.

We'll be releasing the workouts on Thursday next, along with an standards video.

Hanley, nice work on the box jumps, it's a heck of a lot of fun. As Tom said, you and Malteaser are more than welcome to pop down to CrossFit Ireland before the big day if you want to get a practice session in 'the arena' :D

well colm, im not very good at most bodyweight excercises :), and my technique on most of the oly lifts wouldnt be the best

well colm, im not very good at most bodyweight excercises :), and my technique on most of the oly lifts wouldnt be the best

That wouldn't be a problem. For those who are new/newish to CrossFit, we'll have them do a scaled workout with a coach right beside them, to make sure they're safe.

As much as this will be a competitive event, we really want this to be a FUN day, where people can enjoy the camaraderie, see some athletes train hard and get inspiration from that, all the while raising money for a great cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

well colm, im not very good at most bodyweight excercises , and my technique on most of the oly lifts wouldnt be the best

Ha. Sounds like how most of the people (me included) down at CFIreland would describe themselves. Come down anyway, as Colm says it can be all scaled and made appropriate to you.

i did not even think about all the other experts there - sounds like a fitness experts convention!! Now who would like some free advice for the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Transform wrote: »
    i did not even think about all the other experts there - sounds like a fitness experts convention!! Now who would like some free advice for the day?

What should we be eating drinking between workouts?

I'd love to go to this. I've been to Crossfit before and think it's an excellent way to train but it's a pity I'm travelling at the moment as this is definitely something I'd love to along to.

Maybe you can have another one in in September when I'm back??? :cool:

The wealth of experience and knowledge on the day is going to be brilliant for the people that do go. Guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's looking like this good turn into a good oul sesh!

hey the advice is free on the day not before it so i can be prepared to kick ass!!

It's looking like this good turn into a good oul sesh!

There are drinks and craic in town that night also, Captain America's is the plan.

a good carb and protein drink and some solid foods will keep you going for the day really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Damn you Colm, I had to have a go at this while I was waiting for a courier in the warehouse. I landed on top of a 50" but overcooked the forward motion and went straight over the other side. Landed on the concrete behind flat on my right shoulder, hip and knee...

78820.jpg

Fair play Hanley on the 41.5 but you were right infront of a concrete wall, if your toes clipped the edge you would have been head first into it. Eamon Manning will be raging. He tried the 42" plyo box out in my warehouse a good few times and couldn't get it and you know he is lurking around here somewhere :D

Did Cindy yesterday (5 chin ups, 10 press ups, 15 squats, as many rounds in 20mins). I got 17 rounds.

(i also did 21, 15, 9 cleans with 135lbs and dips body weight 4-5mins before the above)did it in bang on 4mins

Did the following today
    100 chins
    run 1mile
    100 press ups
    run 1mile
    100 sit ups
    run 1mile
    100 squats (body weight)
    run 1mile

Wrapped it up in just under 45mins

Gunning for it baby!!!

• Advertisement

ouch mick!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Did Cindy yesterday (5 chin ups, 10 press ups, 15 squats, as many rounds in 20mins). I got 17 rounds.

All that after doing Cindy? Jesus you are fit.

The longer one was today, cindy and the clean and dips was yesterday. About 12hours between - loooooooads of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

(i also did 21, 15, 9 cleans with 135lbs and dips body weight 4-5mins before the above)did it in bang on 4mins

Were these full cleans and ring dips? That is a serious time!

Did the following today
    100 chins
    run 1mile
    100 press ups
    run 1mile
    100 sit ups
    run 1mile
    100 squats (body weight)
    run 1mile

Wrapped it up in just under 45mins

Gunning for it baby!!!

Someone's going all out for the win. Promise not to rub it in my face when I puke my ring after the first round of whatever we do???

• Advertisement

no rings as i did them in westwood and they can barely get their sh1t together to have enough clips. I do ring dips also and can fairly hammer them out.

Cleans are to chest but i will be doing clean and front squat next time.

W

A delightful Fran for me today in 12.02.

40kg Thrusters 21/15/9 and Pull ups 21/15/9.

How bad is that?!?!?!??!???

How bad is that?!?!?!??!???

Pretty bad considering Fran is done with 45kg Thrusters, not 40kg :pac::pac:

It's not bad actually Hanley seeing as you're not familiar with CF. That time would drop significantly after a few weeks of training pure CF.

Pretty bad considering Fran is done with 45kg Thrusters, not 40kg :pac::pac:

It's not bad actually Hanley seeing as you're not familiar with CF. That time would drop significantly after a few weeks of training pure CF.

Haha are ya serious?? I'd no idea what it was done with. I just saw Rob Orlando doing them and said I'd try em out.

My plan's to do a couple of crossfit worksouts per week for the foreseeable future, and in conjunction with my weight coming down I would expect that time to drop.

It was done at the end of a hard shoulder workout too so my upper body was fried. And my legs were still sore from all the squatting on Friday. And I'm 107kg. And it was sunny out. And it wasn't sunny enough out. The gym was too cold, but at the same time also too warm.

Anyone got any other excuses I can use??? :D:D

there was birds outside the window staring at you... bar was too wide/narrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Lads, it turns out I'm not gonna be able to make it on Saturday. I had already agreed to do something for my folks on Saturday morning and didn't realise it was on the same day as this. Appologies for having to bail guys. Quite dissapointed as i was really looking forward to seeing what Crossfit was all about. I wish y'all the best of luck with it and hopefully I'll be able to make it if you ever hold this type of event again.

not to worry there will be plenty of video and photo evidence taken.

Not bad time hanley for fran!! Gotta love that lactic acid burn on the thrusters

Haha yeah it's done with 95lb in the US but we use 45kg over here because we're fitter :pac:

My last Fran was 9:09, to put that in perspective the best time so far is sub 2 minutes with the top guys in CF all coming in sub 3. I'd like to see your Grace time Hanley; 30 60kg Clean and Jerks for time. They don't have to be full squat cleans either so you can just power clean it and push jerk or push press it out. It'd probably suit you better than Fran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Haha yeah it's done with 95lb in the US but we use 45kg over here because we're fitter :pac:

My last Fran was 9:09, to put that in perspective the best time so far is sub 2 minutes with the top guys in CF all coming in sub 3. I'd like to see your Grace time Hanley; 30 60kg Clean and Jerks for time. They don't have to be full squat cleans either so you can just power clean it and push jerk or push press it out. It'd probably suit you better than Fran.

It's Hanley - too lazy to log out of Malteaser's account and back in as my own.

What's a good time for Grace?? Sounds like it'd be pretty straight forward (says he of the 12+ minute Fran).

I'd like to find maybe 4-6 Crossfit workouts that I can rotate myself (2 per week, so doing each workout roughly 2x per month). Any suggestions? Fran's one of them, maybe that other one Transform mentioned earlier with as many rounds of pull ups, push ups and squat in 20 minutes - Cindy?? And maybe 21/15/9 60kg cleans and dips. How's that sound?

Colm, if ya want a seperate thread started, let me know (otherwise feel free to weigh in!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Fastest grace I've seen on that internet was 89s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeCu7W1VRc

Isabel is similar.. 30 snatches for time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNoy3RLmEY

I'd say you'd fly out the gates with this sort of thing because the weights are relatively light but the last ten reps will be a bitch... Just so ya know!

• Advertisement

4-6 Workouts? I'd advise against it and tell you to do pure Crossfit to cut the weight but obviously that's not applicable to you at the moment.

As for 4-6 workouts to do, I'd go with:

Fran
    Grace

Helen
    3 rounds of 400m run, 21 24kg KB swings, 12 Pullups

Charlie Murphy
    300 Skips - 75 Squats - 200 Skips - 50 Squats - 100 Skips - 25 Squats

Jackie
    1000m Row - 50 Thrusters (30kg) - 30 Pullups

Cindy
    As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP) in 20 mins of: 5 Pullups, 10 Pushups, 15 Squats

4-6 Workouts? I'd advise against it and tell you to do pure Crossfit to cut the weight but obviously that's not applicable to you at the moment.

See the problem with this, imo, is that it just does not work in a normal gym (certainly won't work in TF Blanch) - I'll outline the reasons below...

As for 4-6 workouts to do, I'd go with:

Fran
    Grace

They'll do the job!
    Helen
    3 rounds of 400m run, 21 24kg KB swings, 12 Pullups

Treadmill's are at least a 30 second walk from the weightroom, and by the time ya got it set up and to speed it'd be time to get off. There's no KB's (I know, could use Dbells) but once ya leave the weightroom your stuff is gone!!
    Charlie Murphy
    300 Skips - 75 Squats - 200 Skips - 50 Squats - 100 Skips - 25 Squats

I can't skip. I don't like it, and I don't really have any interest in learning. I actually must seem like such a moaner, but there's things I'll do, and things I won't!!
    Jackie
    1000m Row - 50 Thrusters (30kg) - 30 Pullups

See problem with Helen!!! Although since you're not moving back and forth for rounds it might work better.
    Cindy
    As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP) in 20 mins of: 5 Pullups, 10 Pushups, 15 Squats

This'll work, and it's one I'll be doing. So I have 3 now!!

See I REALLY think that unless you're in a CF gym, or have your own place, the stuff you see posted on the CF site just would NOT work. Like box jumps are a pain to set up, running and rowing stations tend to be a fair bit away from the weights, ya can't monopolise 3-4 bits of equipment cos it's just not cool... etc etc... ya probably see where I'm going?

EDIT: Wouldn't mind making my own workout - 50 pull ups and 50 dips for time, or 10 pull ups and 10 dips, 5 rounds, for time.

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Fastest grace I've seen on that internet was 89s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeCu7W1VRc

Isabel is similar.. 30 snatches for time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNoy3RLmEY

I'd say you'd fly out the gates with this sort of thing because the weights are relatively light but the last ten reps will be a bitch... Just so ya know!

Looks like Grace would be serious fun so!! Nice one!!

Guys it looks like Saturday's gonna be one hell of a day.

If you've PM'd me, you've got a space. If you stroll in on the day we'll do our best to accommodate you but we can't promise anything given our space and equipment.

We'll let you guys know what the workouts are on Thursday.

See the problem with this, imo, is that it just does not work in a normal gym (certainly won't work in TF Blanch) - I'll outline the reasons below...

They'll do the job!

Treadmill's are at least a 30 second walk from the weightroom, and by the time ya got it set up and to speed it'd be time to get off. There's no KB's (I know, could use Dbells) but once ya leave the weightroom your stuff is gone!!

I can't skip. I don't like it, and I don't really have any interest in learning. I actually must seem like such a moaner, but there's things I'll do, and things I won't!!

See problem with Helen!!! Although since you're not moving back and forth for rounds it might work better.

This'll work, and it's one I'll be doing. So I have 3 now!!

See I REALLY think that unless you're in a CF gym, or have your own place, the stuff you see posted on the CF site just would NOT work. Like box jumps are a pain to set up, running and rowing stations tend to be a fair bit away from the weights, ya can't monopolise 3-4 bits of equipment cos it's just not cool... etc etc... ya probably see where I'm going?

EDIT: Wouldn't mind making my own workout - 50 pull ups and 50 dips for time, or 10 pull ups and 10 dips, 5 rounds, for time.

Then come up to crossfit and do it. There really is nothing like training there and having some competition to push you along, I reckon you're kinda competitive :P

Hanley try as many box jumps as possible in ten minutes, the easiest way to score keep is mark a line for each ten and its onto a 24" box

couldnt resist :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va2Ydlf2cqc

That Jump Snap is brilliant!

Right, we’ve 25 people competing on Saturday. If your name isn’t here, you must contact me ASAP so I can try re-arrange things.

Here’s the list of competitors, if there’s an asterisk next to the name it means they’re an external competitor, and may choose not to take part in both events.

1. Tom (2) (3)
    2. Jeff (2) (3)
    3. Tony(4) (2)
    4. Jason (4) (2)
    5. Derrick (5) (5)
    6. Eoin (5) (5)
    7. Paul (1) (5)
    8. Eamonn (3) (2)
    9. Pixie (5) (4)
    10. Ed (5) (3)
    11. Ruairi (3) (3)
    12. Pat (1) (1)
    13. Ger (3) (4)
    14. Darragh (1) (1)
    15. Will (1) (4)
    16. Colm (3) (1)
    17. Ames (4) (5)
    18. Deirdre (2) (4)
    19. Sue (2) (5)
    20. Dominic (1) (1)
    21. James Hanley (3) (2)
    22. Lucy (4) (4)
    23. David Concannon (4) (5)
    24. David McKonkey (5) (5)
    25. Stephen Weinmann (2) (1)

Workout One:

Heat One:
    William
    Dominic*
    Paul
    Pat
    Darragh

Heat Two:
    Tom
    Jeff
    Sue
    Deirdre
    Stephen*

Heat Three:
    Colm
    Ruairi
    Hanley*
    Ger
    Eamonn

Heat Four:
    Tony
    Jason
    David Concannon*
    Lucy*
    Ames

Heat Five:
    Eoin
    Pixie
    Ed
    Derrick
    David McKonkey*

Workout Two:

Heat One:
    Colm
    Pat
    Dominic*
    Stephen*
    Darragh

Heat Two:
    Tom
    Jeff
    Tony
    Jason
    Hanley*

Heat Three:
    Paul
    Eamonn
    David McKonkey*
    Ruairi
    Ed

Heat Four:
    William
    Lucy*
    Deirdre
    Ger
    Pixie

Heat Five:
    Sue
    Ames
    Derrick
    Eoin
    David Concannon*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Colm for someone without a car what's the easiest way to get to the gym?

With that in mind can I make a shameless request to anyone who's going who does have a car to PM me if they can fit an extra body in it? I'm only little(ish) :o:D

G'em,

Where are you/can you be? I may have to venture into town anyway that morning so let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'm on the Southsoide but it would be easy as pie for me to be in town that morning.

I'll bring Jaffa Cakes. Jaffa Cakes + Coffee = stack of champions. I'd offer to bake home-made flapjacks but they'd come out like little balls of oaty muck compared to Transforms' 100%-of-your-RDA-of-everything-thats-good-for-you creations.

not to worry i will bring a supply of the most amazing ones ever!!

My current creations are going down a treat - natural peanut butter, oats, pumpkin seeds, linseeds, rasins, apricots and a bit of butter and honey, the food of champions

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Are the crossfit workouts named after particular crossfit trainers or what?

How come Charlie Murphy gets his full name and Cindy / Fran etc get just a first name?

Cindy and Fran sound like ones I would incorporate into training. Others sound a bit fiddly for reasons already mentioned by Hanley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Charlie Murphy -> Reminds me of the Charlie Murphy's true hollywood stories from the Dave Chappelle show :pac:

Was in two minds about going to this, I've been threathening to get down to Colm for a few sessions but looks like I wont get to make it.
    I might have a go at some of the body weight stuff myself though, some of those videos posted look tough!

Haha, Charlie Murphy is a workout I made up a few months back when I was doing my week of programming at CF.ie. The name stems from the Dave Chappelle Rick James sketch: "Mah legs Charlie Murphy! What am I gonna do about my legs?!"

The workout makes your legs ache and the sketch was in my mind at the time. The official WODs (Fran, Grace, etc.) are named after girls similar to the system used to describe tropical storms and hurricanes. There are also some "Hero" WODs which are named after law enforcement or military personnel who died in the call of duty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks Bobby.

I thought Fran was a fella! He suffers from reverse d-gal syndrome it seems :D

• Advertisement

haha d-gal syndrom, i hope that catches on :P

Did this one today with a few mates (do not know its name)

35squats
    25press ups (done off a pair of dumbbells)
    15chin/pull ups

7 rounds done for time

I finished in - 19.42mins
    Aiden - 20.50mins
    Marco - 23.34mins

Another easy one to do without having to move very much.

Workouts and scoring system released, check them out here!

*suddenly thinks squatting on Friday is a bad bad idea*

I'm a bit worried I won't make it thru either of the workouts in 10 minutes :s

The double-unders are gonna be IMPOSSIBLE. I can do 7 normal skips in a row!! (seriously!)

Would it be a terrible idea to run thru both workouts today?

*suddenly thinks squatting on Friday is a bad bad idea*

I'm a bit worried I won't make it thru either of the workouts in 10 minutes :s

The double-unders are gonna be IMPOSSIBLE. I can do 7 normal skips in a row!! (seriously!)

Would it be a terrible idea to run thru both workouts today?

Yes, it would be a bad idea dude, maybe take a break from squatting tomorrow so you're fresh?

If you can't do double unders, you can do single unders (45 per round). We wanted workouts that had a good blend of strength, technique, and skill that were also scalable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement