Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CrossFit Ireland Fitness Invitational

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley wrote: »
    The double-unders are gonna be IMPOSSIBLE. I can do 7 normal skips in a row!! (seriously!)

Classic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I reckon I would pass out doing burpee box jumps :o

I hope it goes well and you get a great turn out Colm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yes, it would be a bad idea dude, maybe take a break from squatting tomorrow so you're fresh?

Bad ideas are what I do!!! I'll probably regret it, but I'll plough thru anyway (and at least I'll have an exuse!!! :D) Last time I lifted raw at a comp I did it on about 12-16 hours notice with a one day deload coming off the back of a heavy squat or DL day.... :pac:

I won't do the full workouts we'll be doing, but I'm trying to skip!!
    If you can't do double unders, you can do single unders (45 per round). We wanted workouts that had a good blend of strength, technique, and skill that were also scalable.

K deadly.... I'll try em now and see how long it takes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Just one day to go. I've had my usual pre-event nightmare (this time the whole building fell down, and I broke my oakleys as well) so hopefully that's the worst of it.

Anyone who's still making their mind up over whether they'd like to come down, we'll have a lunchtime workout for those not in the competition.

Massive thanks goes to Mick of www.irish-lifting.com who's kindly donating some boxes for the day, and making a donation to Temple Street Children's Hospital.

Transform also offered to help out, and we're extremely grateful for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Looks like I deffinatly won't be able to make this - just as well, tried Cindy last night and only lasted 10mins!

Best of luck to the Boards.ie crew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Can't make it tomorrow unfortunately as this sounds like it's gonna be great craic. Best of luck with it Colm.

Any chance of ordering those flapjacks online Transform??!!

Hanley let's see how your cardio efforts have paid off!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I've a fuppin wedding. there betterbe vids. best of luck to all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I was up giving the place a bit of a tidy with Will and Colm today,

Mick from Irish Lifting dropped in to kindly lend us some boxes and is dropping up tomorrow at 1ish, he has a box that I reckon could be entertaining for the bigger jumpers.

He said "Transform is ok at jumping, I guess........." Then ran back into his Nissan Micra as the girl in the passenger seat told him to get a move on, even though he had only just got there :D:D

Me an Jeff are collecting Gem the its up to tallaght for the day, I will see you all there and if anybody that cant make it is interested in a t-shirt from the day or any other one do let Colm know. We are meaking a donation to Temple Street from the t-shirt sales too,

Tom

gabgab wrote: »
    I was up giving the place a bit of a tidy with Will and Colm today,

You guys are girls
    He said "Transform is ok at jumping, I guess........." Then ran back into his Nissan Micra as the girl in the passenger seat told him to get a move on, even though he had only just got there :D:D

Mickk's whipped
    Me an Jeff are collecting Gem the its up to tallaght for the day, I will see you all there and if anybody that cant make it is interested in a t-shirt from the day or any other one do let Colm know. We are meaking a donation to Temple Street from the t-shirt sales too,

Tom

You're slaves.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm in for a world of pain tomorrow so should probably shut up stirring sh!t now :D:D:D:D

I will put money on it that you're a neat freak,

Yeh I agree about Mickk, you should of seen him running around terrified he would get in trouble and rushing out the door :D

I guessed he would of been up wandering around having the craic and attempting muscle ups on the bars while chatting about equipment and giving me a complimentary bar but no no, scurrying out in a panic.

Not at all Hanley, you work away stirring.............................

(I will be spotting and counting you, especially your skipping) :P

• Advertisement

I will put money on it that you're a neat freak,

Yeh I agree about Mickk, you should of seen him running around terrified he would get in trouble and rushing out the door :D

I guessed he would of been up wandering around having the craic and attempting muscle ups on the bars while chatting about equipment and giving me a complimentary bar but no no, scurrying out in a panic.

Not at all Hanley, you work away stirring.............................

(I will be spotting and counting you, especially your skipping) :P

You tink I'm a neat freak?? Ya should see my room. Looks like a bomb went off in Easons. Books and stationery EVERYWHERE.

Someone needs to show me how to do a muscle up tomorrow....

You tink I'm a neat freak?? Ya should see my room. Looks like a bomb went off in Easons. Books and stationery EVERYWHERE.

Someone needs to show me how to do a muscle up tomorrow....

Our rings are only tested to 250kg's, have you got a set of your own? :D

Our rings are only tested to 250kg's, have you got a set of your own? :D

I don't know how fat you actually think I am...... :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

78056.jpg
    had to :P

:rolleyes: Starting to get old.

78056.jpg
    had to :P

Are you big and strong? Why don't you take your top off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

:rolleyes: Starting to get old.

Ah we're all getting on, old chap :p

The gym's as ready as it can be now, and tomorrow's gonna be very busy, with almost non stop workouts and challenges, but promises to be a whole load of fun.

As an aside, please read these articles to ensure your safety on the day.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/33_05_killer_workouts.pdf

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf

Sorry to be serious, but we want everyone to have a fun day.

Thanks for all the support so far.

Colm

Are you big and strong? Why don't you take your top off?

ghey much?:P

• Advertisement

ghey much?:P

Fair is fair! I demand a top off and personal lifting records. If that makes me ghey then so be it.

well im 15, not exactly gonna be breaking hanleys lifts :P, and he knows its all in good fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Thanks so much to everyone who was involved in organising today, it was an absolute cracker - Transform it was a real shame you could made it to the end, it would have been a close race between you and Neil!!

Brilliant to meet everyone and serious kudos to everyone who took part on the day. Thanks Colm for getting the whole thing going and I hope it's done again sometime in the future when I can actually take part :p

g'em wrote: »
    Thanks so much to everyone who was involved in organising today, it was an absolute cracker - Transform it was a real shame you could made it to the end, it would have been a close race between you and Neil!!

Brilliant to meet everyone and serious kudos to everyone who took part on the day. Thanks Colm for getting the whole thing going and I hope it's done again sometime in the future when I can actually take part :p

Just wanted to get on here and thank everyone for making it such a fab day. I'll post a complete thanks tomorrow when I've slept (or maybe Monday when the hangover has cleared)

Thanks,
    Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Sorry i had to depart before last event - it was all getting a bit too tough for me and had to wave my white flag into submission!!!

Well that and i made a promise to my wife (her birthday) to be back at a certain time to mind our baby daughter, sorry.

A super day and all those that missed it should be kicking themselves. Thanks Gem for the short olympic lifting workshop, Mick for the equipment and thanks to all those who organised and came along to watch and of course compete. All for a great cause

Those that think they are in shape/fit should do the workouts and try to put in a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

A quick post to say thanks to everyone I worked out with or who spotted me during today's workouts ... can't think when I had that much fun training last.

I've competed before in submission wrestling but I've got to say that for me today had more of a communal buzz about it, after the first event any nerves kind of disspitated, because it felt like a laid-back sports day more than anything else. But at the same time, some great performances and times were put in ... Neil, Will, Dominic in particular..

Nice to put faces to internet names, good to meet G'em, Transform, Malteaser and of course Hanley in person... And fair play to MickK for coming to the rescue when we had a med-ball malfunction on the last workout.

See you guys at the next one!

Ruairi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Dave McConkey

Thanks Colm, really good event and as Ruairi said, there was a really good atmosphere about the place.

It was also good to put a face to some of the boards members and also great to meet the likes of Transform and Hanley in person.

Well done to everyone who took part and donated money, I'm already looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Savage day all in all, thanks to all that organised it and nice to meet a bunch of boards folks. Think today may be a rest day!

Think the next one should incorporate workshops at the breaks etc

super impressed by all and killer if you missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Colm you plannin on holding these more regularly at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

Here's a breakdown I wrote for the crossfit.ie training log forum of how the day went for me, I decided to repost it here. I added in some background info because most posters don't know me at all here (I lurk).

I expect the crossfit.ie mainsite will eventually have the full points and scoring, so I'm just going to throw up some general commentary on each workout from my perspective.

The run-up

In general terms, I've been doing CrossFit for about a year and a half. I'm 28, 6ft/80kg and try and do about five workouts a week, typically stuff from the crossfit.ie site but occassionally just whatever takes my fancy. I also do some submission wrestling / BJJ / MMA, but not so much of late.

Ordinarily I follow the zone diet (I'm on 16 blocks a day), although I'm not paleo zone. In the week prior to the invitational I found myself eating a lot of Ben and Jerrys and Marks and Spencers burgers. Can't really account for this, its just the way things panned out. There was a lot of Clonakilty black pudding too. Diet-wise this wasn't the worst week I've ever had, actually, but not exactly prime preparation for competing either. To boot I was on a week of nights so I was doing 10pm to 6am shifts up until Thursday night, when I took a few nights leave off for the weekend.

On the morning of the invitational I got up early enough and had a six block breafast consisting of a smoothie with banana, protein powder and almonds and then some bacon and apples. Plus two strong cups of Sumatra coffee from Charbucks. I considered eating some coffee beans to make me mad aggressive as recommended by Crazy Uncle Bill from Spartan MMA but wimped out at the last minute.

Workout 1

5 rounds for time, 10 minute cut off point
    5 60kg push jerks
    10 pull ups
    15 double unders

The double unders worried me on this one, as I knew I could probably bang out the jerks (or something resembling jerks) and pull ups comparatively handily. I expected to slow down on both or break them up, but I knew that I could complete the required amount in 10 minutes ... IF I could get the double unders done as quick singles...

The only person I remember being in this heat was Colm. I wasn't actively timing what I was doing against him, but I was conscious of him. My only strategy going in was to do the push jerks unbroken for every round, and I decided that I would push press them if that seemed to be going well (my push jerk is not very technically sound, and split jerking has a slow cycle time IMO). First round in I felt fine and the double unders didn't feel too bad. I was catching myself on every other rep or so, but still getting them done in better time than I would have done a few months ago. Sometime around round three I became conscious of the fact that I was fatiguing. I still did the push jerks (push presses and a split jerk or two by now) unbroken but I broke up the pull ups. The double unders slowed considerably, as the more tired I got the sloppier and thus the more failures. I whipped myself in the back of the head a couple of times.

The last round I remember doing all split jerks, and feeling pretty happy that they were still unbroken. I was facing Colm and could see that I got mine completed before him. Onto the pull up bar, where I found my arms were completely dead. I did a triple, then a double, then a few singles and by now Colm had caught up to me. By the time I got to the double unders I was kind of lurching like a drunk and my co-ordination was shot, so each double under was followed by three failures. The kicker was when, with about 30 seconds to go, my skipping rope snapped. I threw it aside and heard myself call for a replacement, but then basically decided I might be quicker getting it myself. Another couple of double unders later and the cut-off point was reached... I hadn't completed the workout, but almost.... 8 double unders left.

I can't honestly say that if the skipping rope hadn't broken I would have managed to complete them, but even as it stood by doing the workout as RX'd I had ended up being placed second overall. Dominic, AKA Transformer, who would have taken this slot, had scaled the workout by doing single unders, and lost to me on points as a result, I believe. He makes good flapjacks though.

Thoughts on this workout: A good test for the entrants in the sense that to come to the table doing it as RX'd you had to be not only reasonably strong (60kg push jerks were 2/3 bodyweight at least for most of the entrants I think) but also have co-ordination and ability at double unders, a good technical benchmark.

Workout 2

3 rounds for time
    200m run
    10 24kg kettlebell swings
    10 burpee box jumps

I figured this would be a good workout for me, I figured I'd be OK at each component part.

Slightly controversial: I decided that I would step up onto the box rather than jumping from the burpees. The way the rules were set up this didn't count as scaling the workout (the only criteria was to be in line with the box when hitting the ground, and to get chest, chin and groin to the ground at the bottom, and to stand tall at the top of the box). Tom, who was in a heat prior to me, pointed out that this had a quicker cycle time than jumping. I decided that seeing as a few people were either resorting to them after getting tired of jumping or 'gaming' the WOD from the word go by beginning with steps I decided I would step too.

This workout was one where there was no need to stop at any point, and as a result it was a matter of pushing through the discomfort to keep going. By round three my legs were like jelly and it was more of a speedwalk around the corner than a run, but I was pleased to see I had almost lapped the others in my heat at this stage. The swings were fine throughout, because I am used to swinging a 32kg bell, and the burpee box jumps were somewhat tamed by stepping rather than jumping.

Thoughts on this workout: A good test of a different type of fitness than the first workout- as evidenced by the fastest time coming from Ger from Cork, who couldn't do the first WOD as RX'd at all. I think the stepping rather than jumping thing was a bit of a loophole that should have been closed (I think in future it will be), to be honest, it made the WOD alot easier than it would have been had jumps been specified.

I think I placed well enough in this one to keep me in the running for a medal. And I had redeemed myself by beating Colm in at least one workout.

Workout 3

The two prior workouts and a protracted lunch had knackered people a bit, and there was much speculation about what the secret WOD would involve...

It was-

15kg medball clean, then throw the ball as far as possible... approach and repeat for 200m for time.

(200m at CrossFit Ireland is a lap of the block of buildings where the gym is housed. There were cones out as markers)

Most people were relieved that the secret workout was obviously going to be a shortish one. Although the 15kg balls supplied by Mick from Irish-lifting.com following the death of the first few 10kg ones (home made and not so durable as it turned out) were reasonably heavy, this WOD was done by most people in 2-3 minutes I think.

My heat was a tough one, and I finished last in it, although I think overall my time was reasonably good. At one point I had a chance to draw level with Colm when he was ordered back to where I was following a form error, but I screwed this up by hitting him with my med ball square in the back. This should have resulted in me being disqualified, but Colm elected to retaliate instead by rolling my ball off to the side. Damn it!

I eventually finished, slightly dispirited by the fact that my throws were sending the med ball approximately the same distance at the end of the race as they had at the beginning... Which suggested to me that I was screwing up the technique in some fashion and not using everything I could have.

Thoughts on this workout: I liked it in the sense that it was fun and a lighthearted ... However, I think that there were a few downsides to it (aside from the problem with the med balls). In the first two workouts form was emphasised as being important from a safety and scoring point of view, and while there were criteria for proper form on the med ball race, it more or less went out the window on every heat. What was required was a med ball clean and then a throw of the ball, but what actually seemed to be done by most entrants was to pick the ball up, stand up and then squat with it and throw it out of the squat (basically, a wall ball shot). This had a quicker cycle time than med ball cleaning and also fatigued the legs less. I guess I think that I liked the idea of having a short fun-run type WOD to finish off the day, but would argue that perhaps something like a farmers walk/run or something involving weighted lunges might have been more measurable.

Final thoughts: An excellent day, and a good teambonding exercise for the CF.ie crew. Some great athletes came down, in particular Neil, who I suspect of being a T-800 or perhaps an even more advanced model. He works out alone and smoked everyone there on the day barring one of our coaches Will Walsh (Will competed although his scores weren't counted as, like Colm, he knew all the WODs in advance). Will had the best time on every WOD barring the second one.

As I said previous, good to see everyone having a good time, and nice to meet Jill, James, Lucy, Dominic, Neil and see Dave again (last saw you at SBG I think).

Plus 3K raised for charity.

I gather there will be news on another event like this one, so keep an eye on boards, Celestial.

• Advertisement

May as well stick a write up of the day down too.....

First impressions, the gym was quite easy to find!! (even for a northsider like myself). I think there were like 3 or 4 turns from the M50 and I was there. It's handy the way it's marked on google maps too.

The gym itself if pretty sweet!! Pretty much anything could need to do any productive training (not just Crossfit!!). Some more weights, and reinforced platforms and you could probably do some very productive oly and powerlifting workouts there too.

I hate doing this, because I know I'll forget someone, or spell someone's name wrong, but I met some new people off the forum at it too (and these are the ones that I post here) - Colm (duh!!), Dominic (flapjack man!), Ruairi, Tom, Ed, Dave and Bobby. If I've forgotten to mention someone, call me on it!!!

I knew I was in for a rough day, and despite Colm's advice I decided to make it harder on myself by squatting on Friday night!! It was only mid way thru the day that I found out some of the crafty CF so and so's had been deloading and resting up for it since the start/middle of the week.... I almost wish I was like Malteaser and not able to compete :pac::pac:

Anyway....

Workout 1
    5 rounds for time, must be <10 mins:
    5 Push Presses/Jerks w/60kg
    10 Pullups/Chins
    15 Double Unders (I scaled these down to 45 single unders)

Had a discussion with Dominic before starting about the best tactics for this... but I'm not gonna lie, they went out the window after the second round. The measured planned approach doesn't work when your heart feels like it's gonna explode!!!!

I got thru R1 without much trouble, think I actually managed to keep pace with Colm to that point, needless to say, I was left for dust after!! R2 and R3 were pretty brutal. The chins were absolutely KILLING me. It's not easy doing them when A) You don't know how to kip, B) You're 108kg, C) Your shoulder tries to subluxate every time you hit full extension, and D) The real reason - you're soooooo out of shape.

Made it thru the 5 push presses on the 4th round, and 9 of the chins before I was timed out. I don't remember who spotted me during it, it may have been Bobby?, but whoever it was I owe a big thank you to because you really pushed me on.

A quick note to say, Will is on a different level. I think he did the workout in <6-7 mins unscaled, which is just frightening, especially when you've tried it and failed misearably!!

Workout 2
    3 rounds for time, must be <10 mins:
    200m run
    10 KB swings w/24kg 'bell
    10 Burpee box jumps

On paper, this looked relatively easy, and while I was far from confident I thought I might make it around in <10!! I think I musta got a fast group because after about 100m in the first run I was down by 10-20. They were half way thru their swings before I started!! At that stage I was feeling ok so got thru the swings and caught a few people, and that was the closest I got. The burpee box jumps (aka fall on the floor, get up and stand on the box) were brutal. The REAL killer was how tiring it was on my quads (damn Friday squats!), because having to set off on a 200m run after doing all that was a total soul destroyer. Having to do it 2x times before I was finished reeeeeally sucked. On the last run I just told myself "don't stop", it was the longest 200m of my life, and from the moment I set off I wanted to just walk, but I told myself all I had to do was keep moving, even if it was only a shuffle! Got thru the last round of KB swings again easily enough and just kept moving thru the last round of "fall on the floor, get up and stand on the box". I think my time was 8.something. Way down the table, but amazingly not last!!

As an aside, on this event I saw one of the ballsiest things ever. One of the lads (I won't name names, everyone who was there knows who he is) had hurt his hand earlier in the day on the pullups and wasn't able to support his bodyweight for the burpees, so he was basically doing a one arm push up/forearm lift for the majority of it. Probably not the smartest of things, but a great representation of the never say die attitude.

Lunch
    Mickk from irish-lifting.com showed up just before lunch with a toy for us to play with... a 42 inch plyo platform. I fancied my chances at it becaus I'd gotten up onto approx. 41.5 inches the week before. I tried and failed a few times. However, Dominic was immediately up on it doing his matrix style slow mo jumps (which have to be seen to be believed - someone turn gravity back on!!). Mickk followed and got on it too, then the fun really started.... they started stacking plates and mats on it too!! I think it probably got to around 48-50 inches with both of them getting onto it without very much hassle at all.

Inspite of Dom's protestations and warnings that I was probably going to kill my CNS (he was right, but I've a deload this week so it's ok!!), I kept ploughing away trying to get up onto the 42 box. And just before everyone had given up and was about to finally go inside I got p!ssed off and did it. I reckon I coulda gone higher too :D Maybe some day when I'm fresh I'll get the chance. As least I got bragging rights over a certain someone now!

Workout 3
    200m 15kg med ball clean and throw

It didn't get off to the best start, but Mickk saved the day and bailed up to his warehouse with Will to supply us with some loaner balls for the event. Once I saw what it was I knew it could be my event. The ball was heavy enough that it would probably tire the others out, but not so heavy that I wouldn't be more than comfortable with it (finally my strength came into play!!), and the distance was short enough so I wouldn't tire out. Amazingly I won my group and did it in under 3mins. 2.53 to be exact I think :D:D Not even near the fastest time of the day, but it was nice not to be dead last for once.

There was lots more fun had inside with me trying to learn some muscle ups, and failing miserably, while getting to see Neil and Ed do them without even breaking a sweat. I did manage to do some clapping pull ups and flying push ups tho so I was happy enough with that :) Got to have a nice discussion with Dave, Ruairi and Dominic about the state of the Irish fitness industry and the blinkers some people people seem to be wearing to protect their eyes while their head is in the sand!! It was really informative and was thoroughly impressed with how openly everyone was prepared to discuss matters.

The one thing that REALLY impressed me throughout was the camaraderie and group spirit. Everyone was cheering everyone on, it was kind of powerlifting-y in that respect. Even the "outsiders" got great support.

Overall I think I came 13th (?) out of however many competed, coulda been 25? A nice respectable mid table finish if so.

Colm and Will have a great thing going up there, and thanks a million to them and everyone else involved for being such great hosts and doing such a fantastic job with the fund raising.

While I won't say I've been converted, I can see why Crossfit is so popular and useful. The group atmosphere, good coaching and general sense of fun and accomplishment involved in finishing one of the workouts is really nice!

As far as I know, Colm has more in store in the not too distant future which, so watch this space I guess!! Can't wait to see the vids and official write up from the day either.

Thanks again to all who turned out and made it a great day!!

First Post - Scores:

Workout One is here-after known as “Amy” in recognition of her dedicated behind the scenes work yesterday that made the competition run so smoothly. Any glitches are as a result of people not following her orders.

Heat One:
    Will - 6:18 as rx’d
    Paul - 3 rounds, 4 double unders as rx’d
    Amro - 4 rounds, 4 push jerks (45Kg)
    Darragh - 2 rounds, 8 pull ups (40Kg/Single Unders)

Heat Two:
    Tom - 9:52 (50Kg)
    Jeff - 3 rounds, 9 pull ups (50Kg/Single Unders)
    Sue - 7:56 as rx’d
    Deirdre - 6:36 as rx’d
    Stephen - 8:29 as rx’d

Heat Three:
    Colm - 9:57 as rx’d
    Ruairi - 4 rounds, 7 double unders as rx’d (rope broke on the last round)
    James - 3 rounds, 9 pull ups (Single Unders)
    Ger - 8:38 (45Kg)
    Eamonn - 4 rounds, 8 Double Unders (50Kg)

Heat Four:
    Tony - 4 rounds, 14 Double Unders (50Kg/clear band)
    Dominic - 7:04 (Single Unders)
    Dee - 6:24 as rx’d
    Ames - 7:24 as rx’d

Heat Five:
    Neil - 6:34 as rx’d
    Pixie - 3 rounds, 5 Double Unders (50Kg)
    Ed - 4 Rounds, 4 Push Jerks as rx’d
    Derrick - 2 rounds, 2 Double Unders (45Kg)
    Dave McC - 4 rounds, 7 pull ups as rx’d
    Big Shane - 8:10 (45Kg)

Workout Two - “This is Your Gym Colm”, completed as rx’d by everyone. Ruairi mentioned that stepping should be considered scaling as it’s easier, and after yesterday I agree, so in future you’ve got to jump up onto the box.

Heat One:
    Colm - 6:35
    Amro - 8:09
    Dominic - 5:55
    Stephen - 6:52
    Darragh - 8:15

Heat Two:
    Tom - 7:39
    Jeff - 7:09
    Tony - 7:38
    James - 8:35

Heat Three:
    Paul - 7:36
    Eamonn - 7:22
    Dave McC - 7:20
    Ruairi - 6:17
    Ed - 7:47

Heat Four:
    Will - 6:35
    Dee - 7:18
    Deirdre - 7:09
    Ger - 5:48
    Pixie - 9:34

Heat Five:
    Sue - 8:10
    Ames - 9:13
    Derrick - 8:48
    Big Shane - 7:40
    Neil - 6:25

Workout Three - 200m Med Ball Clean and Throw (15Kg for Men, 8Kg for Women)

Heat One:
    Tom - 2:55
    Jeff - 2:54
    Dave McC - 2:37
    Neil - 2:29
    Ger - 2:50

Heat Two:
    Ames - 3:32
    Sue - 4:50
    Dee - 3:12
    Deirdre - 3:09

Heat Three:
    Ed - 3:18
    Stephen - 3:10
    Big Shane - 3:01
    Tony - 2:47
    Eamonn - 4:22

Heat Four:
    Amro - 3:50
    James - 2:53
    Derrick - 4:00
    Darragh - 3:03

Heat Five:
    Will - 2:12
    Colm - 2:35 (viciously assaulted by Ruairi)
    Ruairi - 2:49 (viciously assaulted Colm)
    Paul - 2:22 (got away while Ruairi and Colm bickered)

Female Rankings:

1 - Deirdre
    2 - Dee
    3 - Ames

Male Rankings:

1 - Neil
    2 - Ruairi
    3 - Paul

DeathMatch Champion:
    Jeff

Second Post, Thanks:

Once again, thanks to everyone who helped run this event. Again, like Hanley, forgiveness if I forgot anyone.

Amy - without her behind the scenes, above the call of duty, tireless efforts, the day would not have run as smoothly as it did. Thank you! (Amy was quite pleased there's now a CF Ireland workout named after her)

Dominic - Dominic really bought into the CrossFit vibe, cheering on everyone regardless of if he knew them, gloating (friendly gloating of course) when he destroyed me on Workout 2, and his tireless help throughout the day whenever anyone had a workout question. And, of course, the flapjacks. People who want a private trainer should seriously check out www.thetransformationcatalyst.com

James - thanks for being so open-minded about CrossFit and stepping so far outside your comfort zone. We've argued quite a lot on boards so I think it shows great character to compete yesterday. You'll get your revenge at the CrossFit Total Meet I'm sure.

Mick - For saving the day when my dodgy med balls split open, and for your extremely generous support in supplying kettlebells and plyo-boxes. I'm looking forward to the bumpers when they go into production. Mick is an extremely nice guy so if you're looking for equipment, check out www.irish-lifting.com

Gillian - For your impromptu weightlifting mini-workshop during lunch. My ego took a nice bruising that's for sure. We'll have a team for the Leinsters in July.

Pat - For being my spotter during round one and pushing me to completion on it. Called it straight down the middle and really inspired me to go on.

Neil - For showing up in the morning and winning the damned thing with relative ease - excellent work.

To all the CrossFitters - thanks for your spotting work, raising money for Temple Street, general good craic and just being the dedicated hard working athletes you are. Why would you stop?

To all the non-CrossFitters (people from outside our gym) - thanks again for agreeing to be put through hell with us yesterday. It was a blast sharing our passion with the Irish Fitness community.

I'm sure I've forgotten people so if I have, apologies

Thanks again to everyone, we'll definitely sit down and try plan another event later in the year to make this a bi-annual thing. We managed to raise over €3000 for Temple Street. If anyone wants to donate, they can do so here.

Gillian - For your impromptu weightlifting mini-workshop during lunch. My ego took a nice bruising that's for sure. We'll have a team for the Leinsters in July.
    No need for your ego to feel anything of the sort - you'll do yourself and the CrossFitters proud at the Leinsters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Another lurker here.

Background
    5 11' and 72/73kg. I have done about 6 or 7 months of starting strength with some instruction from from Colm and I've been doing crossfit there now for about 6 weeks. Fitness is starting to come around now but 3 workouts in one day was a killer.

Copy&paste from my training log over on crossfit.ie
    WOD 1
    5 Rounds for time of:
    5, 60Kg Push Jerks (Anyway Overhead)
    10 Pull Ups
    15 Double Unders
    4rds 8 DU's with 50kg scaling on push jerk

I initally said to Colm that I'd go as RX but I had a dash of sensibility a few minutes later on and decided to scale. It was a good move I think as on the last round when I broke up the push jerks my god did that 50kg feel heavy to clean back up. I was getting through the workout pretty well but all but died in the last round. I had plenty of time to finish it but I just couldn't muster the energy. I was completely winded and struggled on the last set of pullups. By the time I got to the double unders I still had plenty of time to get them finished but man I was spent and it was taking me far too long to get them out. I only finished with 8 in the end.

WOD 2
    3 Rounds for time of:
    Run 200m
    10 24Kg Kettlebell Swings
    10 Burpee Box Jumps (24)
    7:22

When I saw the times the heats before me were coming in I was thinking that this won't be so bad, as usual wrong. I put in a quick 200m on the first run as I can run at a decent pace when I'm fresh without tiring myself out. I came to the kb swings then. It was my first time ever doing them so I had no idea what to expect. I was a little nervous that it would be really heavy and I would end up making an ass of myself but they turned out to be ok. I hit the burpee box jumps then, my god do burpee's ever suck. I had a good first round although Ruairi had tore past me when I still had like 5 burpees to go. Second round same deal just a little more tired and a little slower but a reasonable decent pace still. I had switched from the box jumps to the step ups at this time as did just about everyone else I think. When I took off for the third round and final round it was just like the wod before I all but died. My run turned into something that resembled the last mile of marathon, I was just about able to put one foot infront of the other and keep moving. When I got the kb swings I think I did them unbroken just to get them out of the way as quickly as possible. The final 10 burpees were the hardest ones I've ever done, it took me what felt like an age to do them. When I got to number 7 I heard a spotter for another competitor in my heat call out 3 reps to go, same as me. I was completely spent at this stage but when heard this I did the last three as quickly as I could. I felt like death after this. I lay down on the ground for about 5 minutes recovering and when I finally picked myself up off the ground I wasn't feeling the best. I had a feeling of being sick that took another 20 minutes to clear.

WOD 3
    200m of med-ball clean throws, 15kg
    4:22 (I think, might have to edit this later when Colm posts the scores)

Premise of the workout was clean the med ball, breaking parallel, and then launching the ball as far as you could, run after it and do the same thing again until you and the ball passed 200m.

I had a terrible time with this workout. I just had nothing left after the previous two wod's. During the delay between the 2nd and 3rd workouts I just shut down physically and mentally and was not able for any more punishment. It felt like I had been lost on a mountain top for days and had finally been rescued. Then some cruel bastard decided to throw me back up there for a laugh. After about 30 metres of the wod I was like oh **** this is nasty, the rest of this workout is going to be hell and..well it was. End of wod story.

Brilliant day, I am looking forward to the next event. I've developed an interest in olympic lifting since learning the powerclean in SS so G'ems mini workshop during the interval was really interesting also.

/Eamonn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I didn't get to compete in this unfortunately as I had one of my college finals that day. I did manage to sneak in to be a spotter/counter for a few heats in the first WOD though.

Overall I thought it was a great day from what I saw. When I arrived at 10am everyone seemed a bit nervous and unsure but as the heats progressed people seemed to warm up and were shouting encouragement all the way through. I then left for my exam but I called back in around 3pm to check in and see if they needed help cleaning up. The difference to the mornings session was amazing. Everyone was milling around talking to each other having a great time and cheering each other on. This was what really seemed to make the day to be honest. Working out is working out and we can do it any time we want but the sense of camaraderie and friendship around the place is something that isn't around all that often.

I'm glad some people from outside CrossFit got to see what the whole thing is about and see why we all love it so much. It was nice to put a face to some boardsies too, interesting to see that you're all real people.

I can't wait until the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I'm a bit late, but just wanted to say a big thank you to Colm and Will for organizing the event and to everyone else who made us non-crossfitters feel extremely welcome on the day.

Here's a couple of pictures from the day, I have about a million more but I didn't want to put up any of people who's permission I didn't have, so if anyone was there and would like to see the rest, just send me a pm and I'll forward them on :)

3525235528_693728588d.jpg?v=0
    First Round

3525234190_247b36f6f2.jpg?v=0

3524406545_704c2255b1.jpg?v=1242121663
    Transform

3525220280_afe81614c6.jpg?v=1242122006
    Transform

3525221736_73bf056e10.jpg?v=1242122119
    Transform out in front.

3524416399_33b309f816.jpg?v=0
    After Mickk saved the day ;).

3525224672_76310eacf4.jpg?v=1242122275
    Hanley

3525226120_c751d29f56.jpg?v=1242122345
    Hanley

3525227486_487a272cf9.jpg?v=0

cheers for putting them up and its great to see us all working out butt off

My arms look rather good in the skipping one i must say - must be all the chin ups and dips i am doing as i do feck all curls!

So there are nine pics and 3 of them are of Transform........... :P:P

This was an amazing day and great fun, The money raised and the craic during it was what made it, it was just a shame thet G'em was a little nervous about competing :D

(probably just enough stirring for now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Dave McConkey

Nice pics Hanley, if you have any of me (crashing and burning in the first workout) or Steve , feel free to put them up :)

• Advertisement

it was just a shame thet G'em was a little nervous about competing :D
    Looks like the next Deathmatch has already been decided :cool: ;)

Nice pics Hanley, if you have any of me (crashing and burning in the first workout) or Steve , feel free to put them up :)

I think there are a few of you knocking about on Colm's facebook album. People need to see those runners, I thought my red ones were good :D
    Looks like the next Deathmatch has already been decided :cool: ;)

Yeh no hassle at all G'em, pullups and double unders for time........ Nothing involving a bar or weight overhead is allowed, "dems be the rulez"

Yeh no hassle at all G'em, pullups and double unders for time........ Nothing involving a bar or weight overhead is allowed, "dems be the rulez"
    Bless. Afraid of some real competition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

So there are nine pics and 3 of them are of Transform........... :P:P

Jealous much?? :D:D

3525284126_d490bed576.jpg?v=0

3525280138_20fd97bce3.jpg?v=0

3525287512_a2d0011e7b.jpg?v=0

3525281428_71e5046fa6.jpg?v=0

3524476663_5932f073ed.jpg?v=1242142709
    3525302020_5d1bab668a.jpg?v=0

3525298646_f9124e4b5c.jpg?v=0

3525295270_6fbd7e5300.jpg?v=0

3525291896_d1c99d8af7.jpg?v=1242142484

3524482883_842ae280cd.jpg?v=0

3524479661_6e01fa9c7f.jpg?v=1242142652

Yeh yeh, the first pics you went for were of Transform who just happens to be a touch leaner than the rest of us on the day :D:D I asked Transform if he liked cake on his first night up in Crossfit, and he asked me did I mean protein cake...... Thats not a lie

Some great pics fair play to you. Be great to see you at the next one, you looked gutted that you didnt get to take part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Transform wrote: »
    My arms look rather good in the skipping one i must say - must be all the chin ups and dips i am doing as i do feck all curls!

Jesus, if he has this much of an ego after a few stints on TV3, imagine what he would be like if he was on a real tv station!!;)
    I asked Transform if he liked cake on his first night up in Crossfit, and he asked me did I mean protein cake...... Thats not a lie

Classic!!!!

Will there be another one next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Nice pics, looks like you all had a good day out..

not to worry my wife keeps me in check so i can get my head out the door in the mornings!

Gabgab - would be good to see you put on a few pounds in muscle so protein cake all the way

Who ya telling, 83kg's and still working on it I reckon a 3 year Subway roll and chipper fueled bulk is on the cards..... I know how big a fan of those you are transform:D

Yeh Flogg there will be another one, before the end of the year ;)

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Sorry for the late bump but was meant to do this last week.

Here's a little video of the day.

We're planning on hosting another invitational Sept 26th (provisional date) so that's something to keep your training focused over the summer!

Thanks again to everyone who took part and made the day such a great experience,
    Colm

Advertisement