Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I have cancer - what to tell work...

Options
  • 23-04-2009 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Very quickly, I'm hoping you can help (if not mods please move to personal issues)...

I was diagnosed with testicle cancer last year and had a testicle removed. I've been in remittion (sp?) for the year, but my latest scans have confirmed that the cancer is now back, and has spread to the lymph nodes.
    This can successfully be treated with a very strong dose of chemo lasting 12 weeks, which I'm due to start soon. However...

I work as a contractor, and my contract is up for renewal in June. I've kept this secret so far, but it's clear I won't be able to keep it from my employers any longer. How do I tell them?

I need the contract - I've an overpriced mortgage like everyone else, and if I loose this contract there's little hope of finding another.

I'm worried telling them is like playing a sympathy card to get me contract renewed, however, I'm also aware that it'll mean I'm a risk for 3 months of a 6 month contract, so why would they renew?

I don't know what to do.

Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hi OP - firstly I'd like to say I'm sorry that it's come back.

As regards working, saying nothing and then them finding out after they renew the contract, they may not be happy as this isn't overnight information you've learned. Is it possible to terminate your contract when they find that out? (I don't know much about contracts)
    I don't think you'd be playing the sympathy card if you told them, I think that if you were really open and honest, they'd admire you explaining things to them and then make their decision.
    Are your employers nice people? are they easy to talk to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

Hi OP, sorry to hear your news. It is a tough time for you, even without the worry about your job.

There are so many different types of chemo, each one has its own effects, each person reacts differently to them. Your oncology nurse will go through the list of possible side effects of your type of chemo drug and dosage, this will help you to decide how to handle the work side.

I have met many people who kept on working through their chemo cycles. They took days off for treatment but kept going into work each day. Almost all of them had to stop working for a period of time due to the side effects.

Without knowing more about your job it is hard to make too many suggestions, but you might find a way around getting someone to cover your job during the times you cannot make it into work.

If you are going to be honest with your employers, I would suggest that you give them some alternatives so that you can continue working with them.

Don't hesitate to message me if you want to discuss this in greater detail.

Advertisement