Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are rogues crap?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

I've just hit level 71 on my rogue and I just realised the other day that i never see any high level rogues around.

Its like people take them so far, realise that they're crap and drop them for something else.

Have I been wasting my time with this class? Is it worth continuing or should I drop him.

I have a level 75 DK and a warlock that I've been levelling slowly on the side,Maybe i should concentrate more on these chars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

Good rogues can do the highest dps in a raid if they have the synergy, we raid with 2 but you'll find that people don't want to group with them in 5 man's because without the synergy they do crap dps and are prone to taking alot of damage

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

Definately not crap, just misunderstood!

My main to 70 was a rogue. Took my DK to 80 when wrath came out, but went back to the rogue. The DPS output is just fantastic. Haven't really had much time to play since 3.1 but in my guild, the two lvl 80 rogues get invited to nearly every raid going.

Just started on a PvP server recently and went combat rogue again! Lvling is so quick.

I don't know why there isn't many high lvl rogues anymore. I remember when I started playing, there was heaps of them and getting dungeon runs was near-impossible. No complaints now though!

I think one reason is that alot of people probably levelled them up in the last few months as they would have been either main or used for pvp.

I hardly see any hunters/mages around and I think that's because of that reason too. People have geared up quite fast and want to level/gear up their alts. 50% of people seem to be playing dk's too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

shockwave wrote: »
    I just realised the other day that i never see any high level rogues around.

There's a reason for that -
    Stealth!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

But yeah.. Rogues are good at 80 - but are VERY gear dependant.. You need to really be able to send out insane burst DPS before they are anyway viable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm currently levelling a rogue and really enjoying it. Currently in the 50-60 levels range, which i bloody hate, but its going pretty fast. I love having stealth. Its soo useful. Gonna try and just PvP with him once i hit 80, to get myself some nice gear.

Looking forward to trying Outland again though. Its been ages since i've quested through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm currently levelling a rogue and really enjoying it. Currently in the 50-60 levels range, which i bloody hate, but its going pretty fast. I love having stealth. Its soo useful. Gonna try and just PvP with him once i hit 80, to get myself some nice gear.

Looking forward to trying Outland again though. Its been ages since i've quested through it.

A rogue is on my list of things to level to 60 over the coming weeks, for pvp, they look fantastically fun.

My mate is levelling a rogue alongisde my paladin and his dps output is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

ive a lvl 60 rogue and ther are very enjoyable to play with. very important for the stuns they have and stealth is class.. also cant wait to get into outland start picking up some better daggers/swords!! but ive seen a few lvl 80's on my server... wat i think is really low are the amt of lvl 80 mages and priests..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Deffo not crap anyway. I personally hate coming up against them in PVP.
    Friggin stun lock, blind and back to stunlock :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Dps can be good but you have to be careful as you take a lot of damage.

Leather armour sucks:D

I started doing a few quests in northend and I think it will be tough going until I get some better gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Tbh just seeing the new Rogue shoulders made me want to level one from scratch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Tbh, i hate Rogues, my main is a hunter (lvl 74) and rogues are the bane of my life in PvP. Most my gear is green, ive never had much time for PvP, so my gear is pretty crap, add to that im just back after a long break, and it does not make for fun against rogues in PvP.

On the bright side though, i lvl'ed a DK up to lvl 69 and he does very well in PvP:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

Rogues are definitely NOT crap. In Pve, they are probably the best single target dps class in the game, I've been able to pump out 6.5k dps on the HC dummy on my rogue (Was fully raid buffed, grouped up with a warrior/paladin/shaman/MM hunter) over 5mins.... that is absolutely insane, considering my rogue isnt in Best in slot gear ( still got pretty nice gear tho ).

PVP, rogues are on of the more fun classes to play, can be pretty anoying trying to kill paladins/DK's tho, or any tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

magilly wrote: »
    Rogues are definitely NOT crap. In Pve, they are probably the best single target dps class in the game, I've been able to pump out 6.5k dps on the HC dummy on my rogue (Was fully raid buffed, grouped up with a warrior/paladin/shaman/MM hunter) over 5mins.... that is absolutely insane, considering my rogue isnt in Best in slot gear ( still got pretty nice gear tho ).

PVP, rogues are on of the more fun classes to play, can be pretty anoying trying to kill paladins/DK's tho, or any tank.

I found now that i mostly play a DK, rogues tend to leave me alone. For 1 on 1 PVP i can pretty much hold my own against any class with a DK. Unless ofc their a really good player, then i normally die. PvP was never really my strong point where it comes to the like of WoW or WAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not if you're a Warlock - stun, two hits, dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

Started back with my rogue again after 3.1 and the dps is just fantastic.

I was helping my son level through Hellfire yesterday and can't remember ever having such an easy time. Ran through Ramparts and Blood Furnace faster than ever.

When we were doing the daily PvP, got set on by a "well geared" 80 rogue and a 70 rogue - managed to defeat both! The 80 kept asking for a duel after, even logged his alliance char to ask me how I did it... Luck? I dunno, my gear's OK but the damage output is ridiculous (with the 10% AP hunter buff).

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Neliphin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Levelling my Rogue atm, and really enjoying it. Finally got to Outland last night, and the dps goes through the roof with the BC gear upgrade. He's really bringing out the ganker in me as well. Always hated getting ganked by Rogues as a Warlock (pre-super buffs), and swore i wouldnt be like that, but its just so much fun. I am considering changing to Daggers and Assasination (currently Sword spec), for a bit of a change of pace though. Might be good to get better at positioning as well.

My main annoyance as a lvl59 Rogue is that every single horde i meet is a Death Knight, and its actually impossible to beat them. Did a WSG (lvl59) and was utterly destroyed by them everytime. Bloody annoying. I know they are plate wearers, but seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have a rogue in the mid 30's got bored very quick.

leveling my hunter now from 70-80, purely for pvp at 80.

hes 72 now. kinda boring aswell tbh.

leveling my dk and warrior as prot was so much more fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Levelling my Rogue atm, and really enjoying it. Finally got to Outland last night, and the dps goes through the roof with the BC gear upgrade. He's really bringing out the ganker in me as well. Always hated getting ganked by Rogues as a Warlock (pre-super buffs), and swore i wouldnt be like that, but its just so much fun. I am considering changing to Daggers and Assasination (currently Sword spec), for a bit of a change of pace though. Might be good to get better at positioning as well.

Know exactly what you mean. Have been lvling a warlock and the process was fairly quick until I got to stranglethorn vale where I get ganked on average between 4 and 5 times per quest. Apparently this area is notorious for it.

Decided to take a break from the warlock for awhile and rolled a rogue last night. Never had so much fun with a Wow character until now. Stealth is a laugh and suprised at the speed I can kill mobs in compared to previous classes I've used (Paladin and Warlock). Not too bothered by how guilds regard rogues as I've never had so much fun playing a character before.

Probably gonna make this character my main and lvl the warlock in the early hours when there is less chance of someone jumping out from behind a tree and whacking me over the head :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I bought WoW about a month ago and loving it (playing as Troll Priest) but my mate is leveling as a subtelty rogue and sweet jesus is that cool. The dps is insane!
    they are certainly not crap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

STV can be a nightmare alright as to kill some mobs you have to run through packs of mobs quite a few levels higher then youself. I just skip that whole area complet;y now when leveling toons.

This map show's what level you should be for questing in certain areas, Its pretty big so i wont img link it.

http://casdracast.com/home/Azeroth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

triseke wrote: »
    I bought WoW about a month ago and loving it (playing as Troll Priest) but my mate is leveling as a subtelty rogue and sweet jesus is that cool. The dps is insane!
    they are certainly not crap!

subtelty rogue wouldnt be completlty neccesary for lvling if ur a priest cause u can heal. he should go combat spec and you go shadow spec. that way u can both bust your way through mobs and if the sh8t hits the fan u can drop out of shadow to heal.
    then check out the dps :p

as a side note from lvls 60-64 in outland as a rogue got comeplte new gear bar one or two things! crazy crazy!!

spent a little bit last night messing with my 19 rogue.

Good fun, I'll be 19 BG'ing him until my mate levels his char so i can free ding rogue to 60.

Looks like something i defo might get heavily involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

My main annoyance as a lvl59 Rogue is that every single horde i meet is a Death Knight, and its actually impossible to beat them. Did a WSG (lvl59) and was utterly destroyed by them everytime. Bloody annoying. I know they are plate wearers, but seriously...

At 59... any class is gonna get completely spanked by a deathknight, because they're all in gear thats pretty much equal to say tier 2, while you'll probably be running around with greens and ****.

In BG's at 80, its not too bad, dismantle helps ALOT. Plus i usually just jump them while they're trying to kill someone else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

magilly wrote: »
    i usually just jump them while they're trying to kill someone else

this man knows how to play a rogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I don't know many but the one rouge I have come across lately is completely useless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I'd never played a rogue before and was getting bored waiting for 3.1 so rolled an alliance human on another server, was quite fun i have to say. However i think took another head stagger and rolled a belf pala on my 'main' server. Good golly ms molly, thats fast lvling as ret. Really enjoying it and probably gna end up being my 3rd 80. (Still have a warrior and priest both at 72). Pala is lvl 55 at just under 3 days /played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Played a rogue myself during the Burning Crusade, which I started to level again. I've come across a hell of a lot of crap ones myself, but there's a couple I know that can put out some spectacular DPS. So, I wouldn't say crap, but probably a bit to master.

Yeah it seems a class that requires alot of thinking and training to make savage.

Im spending alot of time just reading up about them preparing my Rogue for 80 for arena.

I have never really done pvp at all, and rogue seemed like a good choice, something different then ive ever played and i look forward to getting stuck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Rogues are brilliant, I personally hate them - being a Warlock and getting stunlocked to death is not fun.

I would agree that there does not seem to be many of them at 80, Mainly because most of them, on Kul Tiras anyway, re-rolled DK when Wrath came out.

Being so OP in TBC, then came the DK (DK > Rouge) so Rogues needed there OP fix again and rerolled :D

Advertisement