Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are rogues crap?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dubhdara3

Not anymore they don't ;) They are just average DPS now. Nothing special about them. Locks and DK's is where the real DPS is at O.o

I would disagree, although I've never played a Rogue, most of the level 80's I've played with are doing comparable dps to the warlocks/ dk's, which is about 2.5k - 3k.

I play a Tankadin/Healadin, and I only have 2 issues with Rogue's, when I'm tanking, some of the worse rogue's jump in before I establish aggro (with one I played with, attacking before I did... guess how long she lasted, before the Boss one hitted her)
    And if I'm healing, since the Rogues aren't wearing plate, if they do get hit, they do have a tendancy to go down pretty quickly, but I overall I definitely don't have any objects to having Rogues in Raid/Heroic groups, since they make a refreshing change to the large amounts of Paladins/DK's and Hunters that are running about.

Plus I think to get a Rogue to level 80 and play it well requires more dedication than some of the other class's which are running around like the Key smashing Paladins (i.e. me) or DK's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll find your survivability gets much much better once you get some skills. I found lvl10-20 tough enough, but then you get various things like blind, sap, cheap shot and kidney shot, all of which make you survive a lot. Plus, vanish means you should rarely die. Nothing better then seeing a party about to wipe, vanish and laugh while they all die.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

looking forward to that :) I was just thinking to myself how ****ty it was I couldnt just pull a Ninja Vanish right out of TMNT2

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Locks and DKs is where the real damage is? Eh look at any high end raid guilds WoWstats or Recount and you'l find some lil yellow lines that indicate Rogues on the Dmg Meters :)

Locks you'l find about 6th 7th on the boss if they are really good and there is no aoe involved and on how many Dps Warriors, Dps DKs, Shadow Priests and Rogues that there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

backstab = powerful

here is my general lvling combo

1 - ambush from stealth = 2combo pts high dmg
    2 - gauge = dmg stun and 1 combo pt
    3 - backstab(run arnd them while stunned) = high dmg 1 combo pt
    4 - Sinister strike = dmg + 1 combt pt
    5 - Eviserate = kill

or

am,bush + ss spam + eviscerate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

I miss playing my rogue, come on faction change! hurry up already! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

stunlock 100-0

rogues are far from crap

DarthWraak wrote: »
    stunlock 100-0

rogues are far from crap
    Ah its not that easy anymore. With the amount of HP people have nowadays, you'd need to have pretty crap gear to at least not be able to get out of stun. Just dont trinket the Cheap Shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

af666x wrote: »

I guess they didnt free the NPC's (the rogues at least). Never top there as too much runnin around freein em & members :(

Had a rogue do this before on the fight sayin about "his" dps, with lower gear than me. Was rightly mmmm, cautioned about not listenin to the raid leaders instructions and wasn't so high on dps after that :P

• Advertisement

backstab = powerful

here is my general lvling combo

1 - ambush from stealth = 2combo pts high dmg
    2 - gauge = dmg stun and 1 combo pt
    3 - backstab(run arnd them while stunned) = high dmg 1 combo pt
    4 - Sinister strike = dmg + 1 combt pt
    5 - Eviserate = kill

or

am,bush + ss spam + eviscerate
    i need gouge for crowd control more than i do backstabbing. the only thing im not liking about the rogue is getting mobbed and not having any AoE attacks (yet?) or party buffs

You get Fan of Knives at 64 or something like that. AoE will never be something you'll need though. Once you learn to control the mobs, you'll be fine. Sap and Blind will keep you alive when there are 3 or more mobs, and dont be afraid to pop evasion whenever you need to.

Are you speccing into Combat or Assasination?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conkey

Kiith wrote: »
    Nothing better then seeing a party about to wipe, vanish and laugh while they all die.

Best.... Feeling.... EVER!!:D

I have no idea what im speccing into at this stage :p I'll have to figure that out as I go along. I'd like a brief rundown of the 3 paths though.

Combat - Stealth? Pft, who needs stealth. You just run in and smash things over the head with swords/maces/axes. Big consistant damage, with abilities to increase said damage and hit multiple mobs.

Assassination - Proper rogue-like combat. Creep around and do big damage on your first hit, then stunlock the enemy down. Great for single target killing, but requires more patience\planning then combat.

Subtlety - Most utility of all the buids. Similar enough to Assasination but with less damage (iirc). Never played this build, so i cant say for sure.

Its generally agreed that you should level with Combat, at least until lvl51 when you can get mutilate. I stuck with Combat until Northrend, and have never looked back.

But as others have said, play with whatever you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

havent really played much since patch. got the game fixed last week and played a little bit. got my rogue from 32-40. so so so so so much fun.

survivability is awsome!

hes combat swords atm.

have shelved all my 80s at the moment and jus gonna concentrate on leveling him when im bothered.

kinda bored of the game apart from pvp.

left4dead online is a lot of fun too :D

Nothing better then seeing a party about to wipe, vanish and laugh while they all die.
    hahaha
    Overheal wrote: »
    i need gouge for crowd control more than i do backstabbing. the only thing im not liking about the rogue is getting mobbed and not having any AoE attacks (yet?) or party buffs
    plenty of crowd control abilities: sap, blind, kidney shot, gauge for short one... and if your getting mobbed definilty use evasion its the difference between dying or surving the fight with 200health and vanish on cd.
    Combat - Stealth? Pft, who needs stealth. You just run in and smash things over the head with swords/maces/axes. Big consistant damage, with abilities to increase said damage and hit multiple mobs.......

But as others have said, play with whatever you enjoy.
    have to say i mostly always use stealth and im specced combat its nto jsut as simple as running in and bashing things.. have to plan your energy usage for combo pts and a big finish.

but yea play whatever wway you have fun with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

oh by the way, im using this as my combat swords leveling guide including their builds.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=7120154092

Just for future reference or should anyone want to know... Borean Tundra is definitly better place for levelling than Howling Fjord for a Rogue!!
    I can say this because i started initially in Howling Fjord and finished it then went over to Borean Tundra to check it out...
    and there is better quest rewards specific for a rogue, leather chest/gloves/weapons for the next few lvls.. also the quest chain on Coldarra is great fun much better than anythign in Howlign Fjord.

anyway thats its.. for anyone that gets a Rogue to Northrend, Borean Tundra.

Advertisement