Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

The recent ones have been put on cantilevers.

OK, technically correct, but I suspect most people would refer to it as a gantry...in fact even TII did in my correspondence with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

i saw the vms turned on on maryborough hill yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wish they'd cut down on the number doing COVID announcements and use them for what they are designed for.... journey times, maybe the "60KMH ahead" coming eastbound at the moment, stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Haven’t been in here much of late, I take it that the work around the Mahon exit is related to this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

i saw the vms turned on on maryborough hill yesterday

I wish they could dial down the brightness a bit, blinding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I wish they'd cut down on the number doing COVID announcements and use them for what they are designed for.... journey times, maybe the "60KMH ahead" coming eastbound at the moment, stuff like that.

Nothing but a distraction. Makes no sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The signs on the N28N at Maryborough and especially the one on the N27 outbound are incredibly bright. The one on the N27 can be seen clearly from 1.5km away it's so bright.

10 signs illuminated with Covid messaging this evening (N40E before J3, R641 at N40 J4, N40E at J4, N40E at J6, N40E at J9, N27S, N27N, N28N, N40W after J5, N25 Carrigtwohill). One on the N71 northbound at the Viaduct advising of a checkpoint (giving them enough notice to divert via Chetwynd to avoid the checkpoint!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Brightness can be adjusted, and this may be what's happening. I think the text is just a placeholder, and the real purpose is to see that the hardware stays fully working past the initial burn-in period.

Once the cameras are set up, these signs will probably revert to showing time-to-junction as those on other routes do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reduced speed limits will come into effect on all approaches to the Dunkettle Interchange due to works from Wed 10th Feb until at least January 2022.

A reduced speed limit of 60kmph will be in place both ways: on the M8 for a 1.4km stretch north of the interchange, on the N8 between the interchange and the smaller Dunkettle R/A, on the N40 for an 800m stretch south of the interchange (including through the Jack Lynch Tunnel) and on the N25 between the interchange and Little Island. Then from there the N25 will also have a stretch reduced to 80kmph for 1.5km at Little Island until approx. August 2021.

All slip-roads along the affected routes will also have their limits reduced to match the mainline. Take care in the area and watch out for new signage.

Going from the Mahon exit to the Northbound bore of the JLT is already manic. Signposted as 60 km/h due to the works, some vehicles are obeying it, others aren't and are having near misses. An area with a well known track record of RTC's will get even more frequent as a result of these works and drivers impatience.

• Advertisement

Coming along there in the evenings at about 7pm I won't go 60kmh, I'll stick it to 80kmh. I'll get rear-ended within a few minutes at 60kmh. Its like the N7 widening works all over again, it'll be dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Coming along there in the evenings at about 7pm I won't go 60kmh, I'll stick it to 80kmh. I'll get rear-ended within a few minutes at 60kmh. Its like the N7 widening works all over again, it'll be dreadful.

Payout day then...

grogi wrote: »
    Payout day then...

Lovely mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lovely mindset

I'll be sticking to it anyway, coming from Fermoy last night a Car nearly side swiped me where the lanes are narrow.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'll be sticking to it anyway, coming from Fermoy last night a Car nearly side swiped me where the lanes are narrow.

From where it usually drops to 100km/h towards the roundabout?

From where it usually drops to 100km/h towards the roundabout?

They have put up barries within a km of Dunkettle. They haven’t actually narrowed the road but the barriers make it look like they have.

No reduced speed limit until now.

They have put up barries within a km of Dunkettle. They haven’t actually narrowed the road but the barriers make it look like they have.

No reduced speed limit until now.

You can tell it's been a while since i was that way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

View to the North East today.
    Serious earthworks and piling going on.

Piling right beside the N8 at the North-East, and the Earthworks are very high now, they must be 20m high easily.
    Piling between the two North Esk "off" and "on" slips to the N25.

Most machinery withdrawn from the North West.
    All machinery withdrawn from East of the North Esk slip.
    Some activity to the South East of the interchange, but it's very hard to get a good view of it unfortunately.

Piling has commenced for a bridge over the railway line to the east of the M8 also where the new alignment of the M8 will go, on the left side of hans' picture above.

marno21 wrote: »
    Piling has commenced for a bridge over the railway line to the east of the M8 also where the new alignment of the M8 will go, on the left side of hans' picture above.

Exactly yes, I didn't post it because the quality of the photo isn't super, but see it attached now.

You can't see the large cement trucks behind the mounds of earth, even though I've quite a good vantage point there.
    Hard to appreciate the scale of the works from the photos.

• Advertisement

Exactly yes, I didn't post it because the quality of the photo isn't super, but see it attached now.

You can't see the large cement trucks behind the mounds of earth, even though I've quite a good vantage point there.
    Yes that's it indeed. They really are ramping up here now since the turn of the year.

This job was made for drones to be fair given the scale of the work involved.

Good pictures. I can see the field of view of the camera on Dunkettle Traffic, but always pass through before/after dark and the works so far are far more extensive than I expected.

How did you take them though, I'm imagining you stopped on the bridge with the hazards on and the camera out :D

Good pictures. I can see the field of view of the camera on Dunkettle Traffic, but always pass through before/after dark and the works so far are far more extensive than I expected.

How did you take them though, I'm imagining you stopped on the bridge with the hazards on and the camera out :D

I've no need for hazards, thankfully :)
    I'm one of the cyclists that passes through from West to East: I'm looking forward to the new Glounthaune slip road!

(sadly the "greenway" PFO route isn't a preferable route, nor will it ever be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ajbayj123

I've no need for hazards, thankfully :)
    I'm one of the cyclists that passes through from West to East: I'm looking forward to the new Glounthaune slip road!

(sadly the "greenway" PFO route isn't a preferable route, nor will it ever be!)

I wish they had built some pathways after the greenway from where it ends to the AIB bank as this would have really helped create a Loop but I know it would have been hard with how close the houses are to the road there would have been no space for a path

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Anyone able to tell me whats the ongoing civil works on the N25 exit ramp for Little Island?

Ajbayj123 wrote: »
    I wish they had built some pathways after the greenway from where it ends to the AIB bank as this would have really helped create a Loop but I know it would have been hard with how close the houses are to the road there would have been no space for a path

It's in planning. There are CPO's planned.
    Again, some elementary errors in the design but it'll be almost usable on that side.

paddyref wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell me whats the ongoing civil works on the N25 exit ramp for Little Island?

The piling rig is for a VMS sign by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I passed yesterday and there was loads of work going on in between the M8 and N25. hopefully a lot of the felled trees (which was necessary) are replaced elsewhere

I passed yesterday and there was loads of work going on in between the M8 and N25. hopefully a lot of the felled trees (which was necessary) are replaced elsewhere

Some of the complete junction renders appear to show trees to be planted all throughout the junction. Hopefully this actually goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Does anyone know if the new overbridge being constructed will open up earlier than scheduled finish for the whole project? I know it says construction will go on until 2022, which would be expected.

Advertisement