Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

This isn't relavent to this thread but I didn't realise there was that level of tree felling going on in Glanmire o.o I hope they replace a lot them

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Are you havin a larf?? 😂 Thats what we do in this country sure. Build/widen roads and cull anything in the way. Trees and their protection are miles down the pecking order in this country especially when you have successive governments that are beholden to the car lobby and developers. Just look at Balinglanna. The landscape has been blitzed and destroyed just so a well known developer can make millions more to put up sh*te housing! But I digress! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Not always, it can be done right. Maryborough Hill in Cork between the N28 overbridge and Garryduff Road junction was widened back in 2018/2019. A thick hedgerow was completely cleared to do it. To my complete surprise, the developers (who were responsible for doing it on behalf of the council for their housing devleopment) replaced the hedgegrow. They planted 500m of 4ft tall beech (and a small section of hawthorn) lining the road - which they replaced when the initial ones planted died. Behind the hawthorn they planted 10-15ft tall birch, liquid amber, beech, chestnut, pine, whitebeam and a lime, plus they retained some oak, pine and maple. They planted around 65 trees total. The Skehard Road widening (west of Church Road) had most of its trees replaced, too. So it very much is possible and is done. However, sadly, that is generally the exception, not the norm :( Although I do think there was a lot of planting at Ballinglana. The biggest thing for me there is that they had a blank canvas, and instead of putting in a two way cycle lane segregated from the road and footpath, they just put in one big 'shared path' on one side of the road. Anyway, this is way off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Suddenly a lot of work going on to the left of the tunnel exit where the Tunnel to City Centre slip will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I presume this update will be rolled out by bits and pieces, as in there will be no great big bang in opening the new scheme, when parts of it are ready they will be open to be used by the public.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I’ve done a few posts previously speculating on how some of the cut overs from old to new alignment will work.

The biggest change will occur when in an instant, when the roundabout will stop being used. I have an idea of how this could work but it may not be their solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Around all culverts, I believe, In an effort to alleviate flash flooding.

You're right, I think the shared path is a poor quality solution. Cyclists don't like them, pedestrians don't either.

Another mega vid from Drone Hawk.

• Advertisement

What that video really highlights is how advanced the new dumbbell and link road into little island is. Could easily see these opening in next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If this was to be the case, and hopefully it is, do you think they'd have the slip from M8S onto it open? And also the slip road from the flyover to N25E? Woukd help traffic in and out of little island a bit I'd imagine, but probably just increase the bottleneck elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think that dumbell/link will be a huge part of the project. For a start it allows closure of the Ibis slip - which can't be closed really without that alternative. Then you might find the M8(S) to N25(E) link appearing quickly.

Yeah. That dumbbell is what will facilitate many temporary movements when the mainline movements get changed and the roundabout ceases to exist.

I think M8 (S) to dumbbell will be an initially opened movement along with Glounthaune to dumbbell, Little Island access and several direct slips to the N25.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Once the dumbbell opens, you’d imagine the following will close:

1. Ibis slip as stated
    2. (what’s left of) the LILO from Little Island onto the N25 west off ramp
    3. The left turn to Little Island/tunnel management building before the tunnel enterance.

Closing 2 allows further work on the embankment for the N25W -> M8N slip.

Closing 3 allows the tunnel enterance to be shifted eastwards to allow work to proceed on the N25W -> M8N slip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah the geek in my that still "helps the kids with their lego" is ingrigrgued by the order they do everything. It's a great little puzzle

I’ll have a go off a step by step plan over the next few days. The most difficult cut over will be when the roundabout ceases to be used. That will require a lot of diversions.

I half wonder, and itd likely be bonkers cos don't think there's space for it, but would they send a lot of the northbound tunnel traffic down to the now signalised roundabout? Or woukd that just be complete mayham cos of the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Did I read it correctly here that, in the final layout, if you're coming from M8S and want to access the city, you have to go eastwards over to this dumbbell and then head back Westwards towards the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Correct. It’s probably the least efficient movement in the final layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

What are the chances of opening a slip road from the tunnel heading north west towards town anytime soon.

They are doing a lot of work in that area this week.

That would be very nice, and very beneficial... but I fear the land there will need to be used for diversions to allow embankments to be built for the N25W to M8N movement - which will go over the bridge just east of the tunnel.

I don’t think it will be needed for that movement. Worst case scenario is that you send traffic for this movement to the Dunkettle Roundabout, do a 180 and take the new slip road to M8 north on a temporary basis.

That's wgat I was asking about in .y last post alright, but surely the volume of traffic added to that roundabout by doing this would be nuts. Or would it be suck it up, worth it in the long run.

I imagine they'll try and get n25e to n40w done in there too, get more traffic off that part of the roundabout.

How people can do this as a job is beyond me (and my wife worked with some of those doing it, or at least bidding for it anyway). Would love an outline of a plan of how it will all come together, doesn't even need timelines, I'm getting confused thinking of it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 glanmiredj

New Drone timelapse showing last 3 months work

https://youtu.be/l9T9__ELd8s

Some nice progress over the last few weeks. They are now surfacing the new link road for Little Island between the Dumbbell and the R623. Looks like the southern roundabout on the Dumbbell is also read to be surfaced. Will be interesting to see when this access into Little Island will be opened.

Theres a lot of work going into the loop where N25E to M8S is going. I wonder if their next diversion will be to send this traffic via the new loop to the current roundabout. It would mean they could completely close the current sliproad.

Did an earlier post summising how it could work. For the loop to open, the slip off the roundabout to N25 east has to be closed and that movement facilitated. Earlier post:

• Advertisement

Think you might be bang on the money there. Perhaps they're getting the new railway bridge done and then they'll start work on that part of the slip road from N40N to N25E.

Advertisement