Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Most of Little Island and the n25 west bound in gridlock due to this change right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Hopefully that will improve when the N25 Westbound gets free-flow to the tunnel. And hopefully that will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I think N8(E) to M8(N) will merge into the N25(W) to M8(N) slip road before joining the M8 proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Well they’ve certainly failed spectacularly at "priority at these crossings should lie with the cyclists and it is preferable that the alignment of the cycleway is retained past the entrance".

• Advertisement

N25 westbound backed up towards Fota and past Carrigtwohill this morning.

M8 southbound has no traffic.

This change has really messed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Is it correct to assume that the traffic that used to go up the IBIS slip is now heading to Little Island and then joining the N25 West there to access Dunkettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

N25 at a standstill this morning, backed up as far as Carrigtwohill.

Thats right, so now you have all local traffic from Glanmire and all traffic from the East hitting the same side of the roundabout.

The traffic lights at Dunkettle will have to be readjusted.

• Advertisement

I don't think many people realised what a high volume of traffic was using that Ibis slip road. I would go further and say that the current situation is ALMOST a desirable outcome, with the M8 finally free-flowing: many people were rat-running southbound through Glanmire, by exiting the M8 at Sarsfields court and Watergrasshill, and those people will hopefully be enticed back onto the M8. We just need to get the N25 free-flowing now too!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hopefully as you say the delays we saw this am will see some recalibrated traffic patterns. The people in Glanmire who avoided the general M8 area will be going that way in droves now with the N25 delays.

At the end of the day though, it’s going to be like this until the end of the upgrade. These traffic movement reconfigurations are impossible to accurately model and will throw up some surprises. It’s all in the name of the gain we get in February 2024 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

There must still be some adjusting going on with the new freeflow from City - Little Island + M8N as traffic from the city is slightly backed up and also the slip seems to be back to one lane

Local traffic is coming out of Glanmire and trying to use the Dunkettle Interchange from the city side. I think that’s what’s causing issues.

if I was living in Glanmire, I’d be joining the M8 up past Grandons and coming down that way.

Exactly yes. And pretty much nobody did that movement historically, because it would always have been slower due to backlogs at the Interchange. This could be a good outcome for Glanmire, if the M8 can stay clear of traffic. You'd want the M8 to be used as a "Glanmire bypass" as was its original intention, whereas for at least the last decade or so, Glanmire has effectively been used as an M8 bypass/overflow at morning rush hour.

It's still backed up quite badly to the East now, and the M8 has no traffic on it so I'd say a light sequence reprogramming will be in order, as per kub's comment above

While this is all great for the people of Glanmire, the folks in Little Island aren't going to be having any celebrations with both roads out westbound gridlocked for hours on end.

Not sure if they will bother to switch the light sequencing to be honest, the fact there's 2 sets of lights in quick succession before the tunnel westbound on the n25 complicated things.

I certainly hope they will anyways.

This ultimately is just a temporary situation. More and more traffic will come into the M8 at Grandons to avoid this. The new slip from the dumbbell to go through the tunnel will likely open in the coming months too. That will help hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Looks great, but it's a shame that they're still using N8 Cork and not City Centre. I was in Dublin and Belfast over the weekend. The M50 and Belfast roads all used City Centre, it gives a much bigger big city feel. Glanmire is also Cork now, which the signs don't acknowledge

Anybody heading southbound thru the tunnel coming from Little Island right now is in for a long long wait. All routes off the island are blocked.

N25 backing up towards Carrigtwohill also.

M8 southbound looking great though.

I can only assume that some of the Midleton traffic went through Glounthaune on purpose to use the Ibis slip?

• Advertisement

Possibly but I know a lot of people who commute from that direction and they mainly use the N25 or if that's backed up they go thru Little Island.

Anyone from Glouthuane/Glanmire and the surrounding areas who used the Ibis slip is now forced onto Little Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whole of Eastgate at a standstill, cars stuck outside my office for 30 mins at the back of it. Cars going wrong way on roundabout in middle of it too

Edit: Lane for Eastbound nearly empty

Total standstill around Little Island. N25 backing up towards Carrigtwohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Some very serious readjustment needed westbound on the N25. Traffic backing up all towards carrigtwohill is very unusual in the evening times . Little island grid locked because of it, it's like it was a few years ago before they improved the roads on the island

Not much they can do other than adjusting traffic light sequences. The new slips will take care of it but will take time to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah but a light sequence adjustment will be enough to see it through , especially if they get the east bound slip road off the southbound m8 open sometime soon, the volume hitting the lights from the m8 should be somewhat reduced .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jaffleywaffley

Yup I was one of those, I'd go carrigtwohill through glounthane to the ibis slip. Even with the 60km/80km limits at some points on the glounthane rd it was a much easier option to get to the tunnel.

With the slip closed, this evening it took me 25 mins from little island to the tunnel 🙈🙈

I travelled from Dublin Hill earlier, leaving there soon after 5pm.

I was heading to Douglas so rather than suffer the City Centre, I decided to go for the tunnel.

I met the tailback on the NRR heading for Tivoli up the hill from Dunnes Ballyvolane.

When I got down to Tivoli the 2 lanes were crawling all the way down to Dunkettle.

I discovered why on the hill down to the Dunkettle roundabout, only a single lane is open now for traffic coming from that side. The outer one is coned off, the tar is being removed, I assume as the excavator was sitting there unattended.

I eventually got to Douglas after 6pm.

I feel for you folks coming up the N25 side and it is an experience I know I will have myself before this week is out.

But infairness, why is it, only in this country that these types of projects are not worked on constantly by crews on different shifts?

I know in other European countries, these projects especially at live interchanges are literally 24/7 in order to help the flow of traffic.

N25 backed up beyond Carrigtwohill again this morning.

• Advertisement

As people have mentioned the only way to help is to change the light sequencing at the interchange. Right now M8 southbound has the same priority as N25 westbound while it carries a fraction of the traffic.

I doubt anything will be done however.

Advertisement