Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I got the impression that Link M would be opening after the weekend. Likely incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I got the impression from yesterday's letter that it isn't opening after the weekend, although it didn't make sense if they're flying through creating it. But doesn't sound like the n25w to tunnel slip is opening until July, so no way will they put that traffic through Little Island for longer than the weekend. Based on that I don't think it'll open straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Think they changed the traffic light sequence.

Huge tailbacks from the east this morning in the Midleton direction; whereas the M8 southbound, which was very bad yesterday, is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Zero chance of that I'm afraid. Completing Link M requires a fairly high embankment from the western end of ST04 to the N25W mainline. They have to rip up the existing slip from the N25W to the tunnel, most likely do some ground stabilisation work, and only then start building up the embankment. That is a *lot* more than 40 hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nah Link M isn't opening this weekend, the temporary tie-in at Link M will be BUILT, but I don't think it'll open immediately. I think it'll just be a case of build it, and have the N25W to tunnel (+ roundabout) traffic just going over a bit hump for a while.

Then when other bits are done they can just re-line it on an overnight jobby or whatever.

• Advertisement

That’s going to be one significant hump, to drive over for the those using the slip when it reopens. Assume they’ll have to leave most of the groundwotk to a later date?

I'm guessing so, but probably no worse than the "down" slope from the temp road that was in place from the M8S to the roundabout there for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

A lot of ground work going on at the tunnel end of Link M this morning.

Also spotted diggers on the tunnel to city slip yesterday, they've done a fair bit of levelling in that area when you compare the before and after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Closures tonight.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Let the carnage begin 😂

• Advertisement

That’s a lot of traffic going on a long detour. Little Island will be chaos.

Some great drone footage from a user called BCL Adrian.

Has all traffic also been blocked on the N25 flying over the roundabout heading towards Tivoli. Looks like it on the cameras.

Looks like it. I thought there was going to be westbound traffic but just the slip closed. Perhaps they've combined it with a "regular" overnight closure for surfacing, or perhaps they're just going to tough it out for the weekend and do loads.

Looks like you’re right. Equipment just approaching the the bit yet to be done over the roundabout.

Looks like they're flying through it anyway, and the hump isn't that big(likely very different when heading down the slip).

A quick look at Google shows that almost no-one is actually following the diversion through Little Island and into the tunnel, instead preferring to trundle through Cork.

Via the diversion, Little Island to Kinsale Road is 16 mins.

Ploughing through Cork, Little Island to Kinsale Road is 48 mins.

I went down to the dunkettle roundabout and back to interchange, but was just being nosey....quite a few people did it too, I'd say most were caught out really. When coming back, traffic was backed up a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Traffic is nuts on Old Youghal Road coming up from Glanmire to the Barn to Mayfield - was all backed up about 2 hours ago anyway - this couldn’t have anything to do with Dunkettle though, surely? Traffic in general just seems crazy today.

Yeah, its Dunkettle... people are going through Glanmire and the Old Youghal Road to avoid the whole thing.

....when the diversion route is still quite empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Significant traffic leaving the Blackrock area now also as Cork vs Roscommon finished up an hour ago in Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Btw an aside, is it normal for all the VMSs on the N40 to be on standby? Are they no longer displaying travel times?

Judging by the photo in today’s short email update, it seems I was completely wrong about how long it would take to build up that embankment. They seem to have built it up to the height of the new Link M bridge in under 24h! That is seriously impressive.

And the road is wholly re-opened now

More from Drone Hawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sbmayo

I got a speeding ticket through the post for doing 118, "Exceeding Special Limit 100" at "M8 DUNKETTLE, GLANMIRE, CORK" on June 4th. I never noticed any camera or anything on my way through that day, and I drove it the same as I always do, keeping up with traffic, being safe and not doing anything stupid as its not always clear whats going on around there. I go through maybe 3 or 4 times a month - it seems to change every time! Any grounds for appeal? It's my first offence and not pleased. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Limit on that section is always 100km/h from Glanmire to Dunkettle and vice versa. I've noticed Garda speed traps on one of the overbridges in the area previously. You might have been caught by something like that. Not a hope for an appeal I would say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

118kmph in a 100kmph zone and you want to appeal? You were speeding and you got caught. Suck it up. Ignorance is never a defence.

Yeah, sorry, you're upset but I'm afraid there is no excuse. Just be thankful you got caught for 118 in a 100 and not 118 in the 60 roadworks zone.

Also given that car speedometers overestimate speed, you probably saw about 125kmh on your speedometer.

Anyway, I went over the new hump at the end of Link M this morning - not a bother with it but if people go too fast down it you can't see cars stopped at the lights.

Speed limit is 60kph. Would hope this removes the risks of poor sight lines (as long as people stick to the limit of course).

• Advertisement

sbmayo's fixed charge noticed related to the 100 special limit, i.e. further back the M8 before the roadworks limit kicks in.

Advertisement