Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

steeler j wrote: »
    There a drone video on YouTube , I can't post it on here but anyone interested can check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWyO0Hfqoc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great shots in the video. Big progress with the columns for the new bridge taking the M8 over the slip road and rail line now being finished.

Its good, but we need the suicidal drone man from the N22 thread. He'd have gone under the railway bridge and through the middle of the support columns and exited through the Jack Lynch tunnel

Edit: That is him. He is far less insane at Dunkettle than on the Macroom bypass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Update:

* N8E -> M8N slip road will open in late 2021, to remove Dublin bound traffic from the interchange (not sure if this means other diversions such as diverting tunnel -> M8 traffic via this routing)

* Second major element to open will be the new Little Island interchange including N25 overbridge

* M8S -> N25E slip to open in 2023

* Main works on the central area (current live lanes) will see disruption in 2022/2023

* Project to fully complete in April 2024.

* Massive rail/bus P&R also being planned for the Irish Rail container site at North Esk

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40258994.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

marno21 wrote: »
    Update:

* N8E -> M8N slip road will open in late 2021, to remove Dublin bound traffic from the interchange (not sure if this means other diversions such as diverting tunnel -> M8 traffic via this routing)

* Second major element to open will be the new Little Island interchange including N25 overbridge

* M8S -> N25E slip to open in 2023

* Main works on the central area (current live lanes) will see disruption in 2022/2023

* Project to fully complete in April 2024.

* Massive rail/bus P&R also being planned for the Irish Rail container site at North Esk

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40258994.html

Surprised the M8S to N25E slip will only open in 2023. It will mainly involve a bridge over the rail line/ slip road and the new 4/4 dumbbell junction and bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ajbayj123

Surprised the M8S to N25E slip will only open in 2023. It will mainly involve a bridge over the rail line/ slip road and the new 4/4 dumbbell junction and bridge?

They said the slip road will open in 2023 mostly because of the marshy land it goes over which will require lots of piling work to stabilize the ground so that's probably why it's so late to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hopefully they start the design process for the P&R soon and get it through planning. It really should be opening along with completion of the freeflow junction, once people start driving through the new junction it will be much harder to get them to switch to public transport, even if the PT is faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Would be nice for the 219 to extend through the tunnel from Mahon Point to little island and terminate at the P&R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Piling has started in the central reservation of the N25 approx 100 meters East of Dunkettle, Would I be correct is assuming this is the over bridge for Little Island ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    Piling has started in the central reservation of the N25 approx 100 meters East of Dunkettle, Would I be correct is assuming this is the over bridge for Little Island ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

There is no overbridge 100m east of the existing Dunkettke overbridge. The new overbridge linking Glounthane to Little Island is more like 600-700m east of the existing overbridge.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes

100m?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's for another electronic information sign thing (ITS is it?). Been on the last few emails

Do we know when the new bridges for the M8 are going to be opened? These appear to be the primary focus at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not a clue. They might be "open" as in the sense of being used for traffic, or open as in part of some complex diversion while other work is done.

Not a clue. They might be "open" as in the sense of being used for traffic, or open as in part of some complex diversion while other work is done.

Once they are being used that’s that. They’ll need to then demolish the old bridges to allow the N8 East to Glounthaune underpass to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martiin

Sorry guys but I didn't read the whole thread. Could someone explain why there is no direct link from Dublin to Tivoli on that new interchange? Is that is because someone want get paid again for adding this in future?

martiin wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I didn't read the whole thread. Could someone explain why there is no direct link from Dublin to Tivoli on that new interchange? Is that is because someone want get paid again for adding this in future?

When the port moves and the North Ring road is built there wont be too much demand other than local traffic for that movement. Of course the NRR may never be built and they will have to retcon a direct movement. Alas, that is Ireland for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is just too expensive/difficult to build, it would require a very long link elevated the whole way. They also don't want to be encouraging people to drive into the city, the P&R needs to be made as attractive as possible if it is to be effective. I doubt a direct link will ever be built.

cantalach wrote: »
    There is no overbridge 100m east of the existing Dunkettke overbridge. The new overbridge linking Glounthane to Little Island is more like 600-700m east of the existing overbridge.

I was past that area again today and works have advanced further, it most certainly is not for one of those M40 type signs, they are further East towards the Little Island/ Glounthaune interchange

The Central Reservoir is being built up and is the area directly North of it, a glance south towards Little Island certainly looks to me like it is a road being constructed and a glance north is most definitely the construction of columns of uprights for an overpass

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martiin

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    When the port moves and the North Ring road is built there wont be too much demand other than local traffic for that movement. Of course the NRR may never be built and they will have to retcon a direct movement. Alas, that is Ireland for you.

Of course they will be demand. Otherwise why is link from Cork to Dublin built? I think it is the same approach as in my town. New road was built and after few months they dig it up to put some extra pipes under. No one think ahead. Unbelievable

Or... they might want people to leave the city and don't come back :)

Also M8 merging with M7... you can't go to Limerick direction. Well done. Proud to be Irish...

• Advertisement

Of course they will be demand. Otherwise why is link from Cork to Dublin built? I think it is the same approach as in my town. New road was built and after few months they dig it up to put some extra pipes under. No one think ahead. Unbelievable

Or... they might want people to leave the city and don't come back :)

Also M8 merging with M7... you can't go to Limerick direction. Well done. Proud to be Irish...

City centre to city centre is no longer the desired link for motorways. They want traffic to be distributed away from the centre via ring roads as it is far more efficient.

They are also redeveloping the docklands with the Tivoli site to become a residential neighbourhood amongst other mixed use sites. There is no appetite for intercity traffic and freight to cross the city centre in any way.

I was past that area again today and works have advanced further, it most certainly is not for one of those M40 type signs, they are further East towards the Little Island/ Glounthaune interchange

The Central Reservoir is being built up and is the area directly North of it, a glance south towards Little Island certainly looks to me like it is a road being constructed and a glance north is most definitely the construction of columns of uprights for an overpass

Yes, absolutely. That's what that is. Sorry for the confusion. You threw me by asking what was approx 100m east because that work is more like 650m according to Google Maps. I guess distance is deceptive when moving at speed :)

550957.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Putting a full interchange at the site of the M8/M7 split would have been stupid, as it would have dragged traffic for N7 westbound on a pointless 10 km detour.

The original plan for this interchange included junctions on both M8 (J2) and M20 (J20) that would have let you go West/South, but this was canned after a local objections. If you look at aerial photos you can guess where it would have gone, especially on M7.

It wouldn't take much work to build it now, but there hasn't been any real demand for it since the road opened. Local traffic already has shorter routes, and anyone going long distance would use N62 between Horse and Jockey and Borris in Ossory anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Also you can go M8 J3 Ballacolla - Rathdowney - M7 J21 Borris. Just needs some prominent signage and away you go.

cantalach wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely. That's what that is. Sorry for the confusion. You threw me by asking what was approx 100m east because that work is more like 650m according to Google Maps. I guess distance is deceptive when moving at speed :)

550957.jpeg

My apologies, indeed the distance is indeed deceptive while driving.
    And all i was doing was the 60......of course ;)

I was driving up from Halfway today and needed to exit for Ballinhassig, i did indeed notice how quickly that 300 meter sign became 200 and then 100 as i exited at that junction.

Drove through yesterday. Huge amount of earthworks now on the northeast and southeast of the roundabout. The works directly to the southeast seem to be relatively new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

First beams going up crossing the railway tomorrow morning according to their twitter!

https://twitter.com/dunkettleint/status/1387877607207751684?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Beams were delivered last week as per the Dunkettle email. First lift was last night. You can see the installed beams on the M8 Dunkettle traffic camera. More beam lifts tonight & tomorrow night.

Not sure what rounders was saying in their post when the tweet says different.

Advertisement