Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A job vacancy!! We are in fu**ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm going to do all my shopping in that Londis, they clearly are going to have the best qualified staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Would you like a conservatory built with that ham sandwich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There aren't that many Irish in that queue tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What was the need for an 'open interview' that would cause such a queue?

Free publicity for Londis me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Quazzie wrote: »

Sure that's all that matters so. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What was the need for an 'open interview' that would cause such a queue?

Free publicity for Londis me thinks.

i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Regardless of anything else it shows people want to work rather than sitting around all day. That's something good at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

:eek:
    I had to check out the shop names to make sure that was a Dublin street.
    I can't believe the length of that queue, I pity the poor fecker doing the interviewing.

It's not a good sign of things to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Well the second line of the job spec was looking for "dynamic and flexible", i'd say most of those guys are into tantra and kama sutra so would fit the bill ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Was this not covered yesterday?

Thread was locked iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ah half of them think it's a queue for drugs, simple mistake!

i don't think i'd fancy being the subject of some amateur documentary while i'm struggling to find work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

OMG :eek:
    shocking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

To be honest I passed this yesterday leaving work. A lot of people just started queueing because they figured a line that big had to be for something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

connundrum wrote: »
    Was this not covered yesterday?

Thread was locked iirc.
    Yeah but the OP was focusing on all the people who appear to be foreign and asking why they got work permits in the current economic climate, rather than the fact such a huge number of people are going for one job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

To be honest I passed this yesterday leaving work. A lot of people just started queueing because they figured a line that big had to be for something good.

Was it free Taytos day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I went to the post office last wednesday to post a registered letter and the queue was out the door and down the street. I'd saay 95% Irish. Funny that

Edit: There were actually 150 jobs going so not quite as dramatic either. News reports on different stations were saying 2000 people queueing, 1000 queueing so in reality probably about 350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Jaysus they'll have to rename it the bloody kwik-e-mart :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Wow. Incredible video. Really brings things home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Fat chance of getting a job in this climate if you show up to an interview in jeans and runners ( which the majority did ). Its an employers market so you've got to stand out and look professional, even if its for a job in a convenience store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

In reality, if there were 1500 there for interview, and there were 150 positions on offer - I don't see the shock value.

For any position we've looked to fill between 2007 and now, we would have at least 20 - 30 CV's in for the job, of which we'd invite 9 - 10 people in for interview.

The actual presense of so many people on the street was the shocking thing I suppose. Had Londis insisted on cv's to be sent in by e-mail only then there'd be no media coverage.

A good bit of PR for Londis/Griffin Group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Unreal.. And still the goverment continue to flood this country with foreigners when jobs are so scarce:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yes, the government are bringing in people on planes, trains and automobiles from other countries.
    Maybe we can swap you for one of them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭sdanseo

150 jobs? For how many stores, and new or existing?

What a mad, mad way to do business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Unreal.. And still the goverment continue to flood this country with foreigners when jobs are so scarce:rolleyes:

Have you even read the papers recently?

Of course he has, only got as far as Page 3 though. Apparently Kim from Stratford likes guys who can make her laugh (and of course she loves taking her top off! - phwwwaaaooorrrr!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Not all of them no:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Makes me feel all special since I've had a retail job (part-time) for over a year now and when I walked in for the interview they said "hello, here's a job". Done and dusted, even got a pay rise before I started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Is this in Ireland or India?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is possibly the craziest thing I've ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Would be crazier if they were all going for a job as a clown and had to arrive for the interview in costume...that would have made CNN.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Any sources on the number of jobs offered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Dear Sir/Madam. You need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pr stunt tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Could be Irish, despite having dark skin.
    Could be students - a lot of Asians do PhDs and post-docs here and the fees are extremely expensive (they're pumping badly needed funds into the third level education sector) so they badly need part-time work.

But I'm sure you'll just skirt over those possibilities - it's more fun to bitch about foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I thought it was the line for the sex offenders register

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Highsider wrote: »
    Is this in Ireland or India?

No. But a multicultural Ireland. Its only taken a few decades longer than most countries. Many will be students and those that can over when Ireland was on a high. Now they're the ones that people don't want to hire anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think there's scope here for a good flash mob outing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Ryanair type advertising, tbh.
    Free Cheap stunt, and the guys creating the news item get nothing!

Did they not do this last year as well, again another couple of hundred people queing for open intreview in a shop?

Callous way of getting cheap publicity, Mick o'L would be proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd say the majority are non-EU students or non-EU unemployed. Neither of which have the luxury of signing on when things go bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

:rolleyes:
    Do you have any idea of how much money it costs these people just to attend college here? from talking to people in my class it's 10 grand a year in college fee's alone not too mention the amount they will spend on living expenses and then pay in tax from working part time.

they have just as much a right to be here as anyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Tago Mago wrote: »
    I thought it was the line for the sex offenders register

Why? Did you recognise somebody you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Why? Did you recognise somebody you know?

You

Tago Mago wrote: »
    You

Well done :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dudess wrote: »
    a lot of Asians do PhDs and post-docs here and the fees are extremely expensive (they're pumping badly needed funds into the third level education sector) so they badly need part-time work.

So do alot of Irish people need jobs too. The ones who botherd to make the effort to look for a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would this by the time to point out that I got a job AND a generous tax refund from Ireland a few days ago? No? sorry...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

deco05ie wrote: »
    they have just as much a right to be here as anyone

I draw the line at that statement.

The country has an obligation to look after its citizens, if it can't because it is looking after citizens of other countries then thats where I draw the line.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Would this by the time to point out that I got a job AND a generous tax refund from Ireland a few days ago? No? sorry...

I'm afraid not. Most of the ruffians in this country don't want to hear about people like us and our ample funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

eh?/ why the hell would anyone queue for something, they didnt know was for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I have concerns about the make up of that queue myself I have to say. I can see serious nationality issues coming down the line here. It is intolerable that 500,000 people are headed for the dole (most of them Irish) and here we have a queue for jobs in the center of Dublin - most of them look foreign? There is something wrong there and im not afraid to say it. I saw a dole queue in the city center the other day and the make up of that was broadly similar though there were more Irish people in that queue.

As a Russian friend of mine said - "Ireland is being abused and we don't realise just how much" - and he readily, though appolegetically, admits he is a "parasite" on this State. So I don't know were this country is going tbh. We are going to pay dearly for our bleeding heart liberalism in the coming years.

darkman2 wrote: »
    I have concerns about the make up of that queue myself I have to say. I can see serious nationality issues coming down the line here. It is intolerable that 500,000 people are headed for the dole (most of them Irish) and here we have a queue for jobs in the center of Dublin - most of them look foreign? There is something wrong there and im not afraid to say it. I saw a dole queue in the city center the other day and the make up of that was broadly similar though there were more Irish people in that queue.

As a Russian friend of mine said - "Ireland is being abused and we don't realise just how much" - and he readily, though appolegetically, admits he is a "parasite" on this State. So I don't know were this country is going tbh. We are going to pay dearly for our bleeding heart liberalism in the coming years.

But all the lads in that queue were actively looking for a job. So you can't call them parasites.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement