Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A job vacancy!! We are in fu**ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

This is possibly the craziest thing I've ever seen

You obviously weren't around for the 80's.

It's true that the ratio of people to positions offered is the norm, even in boom times.

However, that would be true for slightly more upmarket jobs and the sight of such a long queue outside a newsagents looking for work is definitely not the norm especially for the last 15 years.

Things are going to get an awful lot worse. People know things are going to get worse and are expecting hardship but I'm not sure they realise exactly how bad things are going to get.

In my view, it's going to be much worse than the 80's but we haven't even come close to reaching that low yet.

IMF predicts unemployment of 13% by the end of next year. That's frightening.

A long way to go. Hold on tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Madou

Reminds me of 'The Commitments' :D
    Jimmy. "So what do you play"

Guy. "Nothing"

Jimmy. "so what are you doing here then"

Guy. "Well I just saw the queue and I thought you was selling drugs"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

thats insane! is it that bad at home!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I was happily in denial until I watched that video.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Quazzie wrote: »
    I draw the line at that statement.

The country has an obligation to look after its citizens, if it can't because it is looking after citizens of other countries then thats where I draw the line.

Like our homeless on the streets and we were buying up hotels in D4 to house Romanian families?

We seem to have a serious problem with looking after our own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Jesus Lads, we are in trouble :(

As for the apparent ethnic makeup of the line it just goes to show the different mindset of the asians as a whole. These guys want to work. Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The country has an obligation to look after its citizens, if it can't because it is looking after citizens of other countries then thats where I draw the line.
    I agree - but we don't know the situations of those non Irish people queuing.
    eh?/ why the hell would anyone queue for something, they didnt know was for?
    'Tis only a joke.

As for the apparent ethnic makeup of the line it just goes to show the different mindset of the asians as a whole. These guys want to work. Fair play

yup

didn't see any builders bums there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I think the fellas in that queue prefer to be called 'chinese'. Just being politically correct etc.

• Advertisement

This man speaks sense:
    connundrum wrote: »
    In reality, if there were 1500 there for interview, and there were 150 positions on offer - I don't see the shock value.

For any position we've looked to fill between 2007 and now, we would have at least 20 - 30 CV's in for the job, of which we'd invite 9 - 10 people in for interview.

The actual presense of so many people on the street was the shocking thing I suppose. Had Londis insisted on cv's to be sent in by e-mail only then there'd be no media coverage.

A good bit of PR for Londis/Griffin Group.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I think the fellas in that queue prefer to be called 'chinese'. Just being politically correct etc.
    Or they might be from other East-Asian countries. Thought they appeared to be from India/Pakistan though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Maybe we should just be shocked there's 150 jobs on offer in the country.

not sure the Indians would be happy with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

So what are the facts? Were there 150 jobs on offer or 3 jobs on offer? Also, what is the most accurate estimate for the number of people who queued up to apply for one of the jobs?

If it is 150 jobs then I would be pleasantly suprised to be honest!

There's jobs going all over the place.

As stated all ready it's the same as the burger king gang

PR stunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

darkman2 wrote: »
    I have concerns about the make up of that queue myself I have to say. I can see serious nationality issues coming down the line here. It is intolerable that 500,000 people are headed for the dole (most of them Irish) and here we have a queue for jobs in the center of Dublin - most of them look foreign? There is something wrong there and im not afraid to say it. I saw a dole queue in the city center the other day and the make up of that was broadly similar though there were more Irish people in that queue.

As a Russian friend of mine said - "Ireland is being abused and we don't realise just how much" - and he readily, though appolegetically, admits he is a "parasite" on this State. So I don't know were this country is going tbh. We are going to pay dearly for our bleeding heart liberalism in the coming years.

That makes no sense. Unless, of course, I missed the part on the job notice that says "Irish need not apply".

All it shows is that the people in the queue want to work. I guess the fact that most were not Irish says a lot about Irish people's attitude to work.

I'm sure a lot in the dole queue would turn their nose up at such a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

jk86 wrote: »

I'm sure a lot in the dole queue would turn their nose up at such a job

Believe me, the only people on the dole who would turn up that job are the people who used to stay on the dole in the boom years; any newly unemployed person would love to work in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Dudess wrote: »
    Or they might be from other East-Asian countries. Thought they appeared to be from India/Pakistan though?

Looks like its going to be a shi-ite job so !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

jk86 wrote: »
    ...says a lot about Irish people's attitude to work.

Sorry, don't think that's fair, tbh. I'm getting really sick of hearing "Irish people think they're too good for this job or that job...". I saw plenty of Irish people in that queue, and many Irish people that I know would jump at the chance of working in Londis, rather than go on the dole.

That said, I don't have a problem with immigration here, I'm just annoyed that people generalize all Irish people as lazy, dole-loving bums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Thats obviously a queue for Munster vs Leinster Heineken Cup tickets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My brother was in that queue yesterday, he described it as " a load of Apus looking for work"... I told him not to open with a joke in the interview...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

And sh/te paying ones at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Highsider wrote: »
    And sh/te paying ones at that

Minimum pay is still one of the highest in the EU.

And something is always better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wuzzik

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Unreal.. And still the goverment continue to flood this country with foreigners when jobs are so scarce:rolleyes:

When things were good and the country needed the skills of foreigners both the private and public sectors were going on mad recruiting drives all over the world. One of the lies they told was that Ireland was the land of a thousand welcomes!!! Perhaps all us foreigners should go home then we will see what the waiting lists are like in the hospitals - or have you not noticed that the majority of the doctors and nurses are FOREIGN. Many of the foreigners have been here for a good few years, our children have been educated here and we have paid our taxes.

What makes me laugh most is the number of Irish people who are now looking at leaving the country to find jobs elsewhere - may you receive the same welcome that you have given the foreigners here. If you get it we'll see you back home soon!!:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I don't understand why they didn't just get people to apply and then call some people for an interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

So much curry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Pah, educated jobs mean nothing.

Galway had a big scandal as the new Burger King was being staffed by lawyers and architects. For all their claims, they still took two goes to get my order right.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wuzzik

I think America was having the same thoughts so they have decided to send all the Irish home and since there are apparently around 36,495,800 who are of Irish ancestory things could get a bit crowded. The good news is that we will need to build a lot of houses, the bad news is that the queues for other jobs may be rather long, but hey look on the bright side - at least they will be mainly IRISH:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 breaking-dawn16

wuzzik wrote: »
    When things were good and the country needed the skills of foreigners both the private and public sectors were going on mad recruiting drives all over the world. One of the lies they told was that Ireland was the land of a thousand welcomes!!! Perhaps all us foreigners should go home then we will see what the waiting lists are like in the hospitals - or have you not noticed that the majority of the doctors and nurses are FOREIGN. Many of the foreigners have been here for a good few years, our children have been educated here and we have paid our taxes.

What makes me laugh most is the number of Irish people who are now looking at leaving the country to find jobs elsewhere - may you receive the same welcome that you have given the foreigners here. If you get it we'll see you back home soon!!:P:P:P

this person is talking common sense. We are auiet happy to be getting ready to flee when it gets hard... :P what the hell do you think the foriegners did huh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Wonder how many of them are actually Irish and how many people turned up for that Interview.
    I wouldn't bother spending a full day in the queue if I had to join at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

no chance - that is shocking - its like the mc donalds position all over again when 100s turned up

its a total sad state of affairs:eek::eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

It's gonna be worst I'm afraid.

Celtic tiger was based on foreign investments and only those were supported which was good for short period of time. Government forgot about their own people - education of Irish kids, free studies, research funding (those in Ireland are one of the smallest in all western world / GDP) so Ireland lacks them now.

Because of good economical results during that time, Irish conservative government started to make large number of restrictions of liberty and economy (for ex. rising taxes or alcohol sale restrictions, both bad for economy and jobs).

Now because competition countries made better (yes, there is something like competition between the countries Mr Cowen!), investments are going out of Ireland

I think it's the time to leave conservatives behind where they belong. Marché libre!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Leprachaun wrote: »
    So much curry!

How did you fit so much stupidity into such a short post? Even your username is spelled wrong. Talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Dudess wrote: »
    Could be Irish, despite having dark skin.
    Could be students - a lot of Asians do PhDs and post-docs here and the fees are extremely expensive (they're pumping badly needed funds into the third level education sector) so they badly need part-time work.

But I'm sure you'll just skirt over those possibilities - it's more fun to bitch about foreigners.

"could be irish despite having dark skin" are you for real...?

so by your logic if an irish man moved to china, he would actualy become a chinese man overnight...?

this type of PC crap has got to end, there is no such thing as an african, asian, middle eastern Irish man or woman, there are african, asian and all other races of people Living in Ireland, but that does not by any account make them Irish.

what about the nearly approx 240,000 irish people without jobs...?

do you realy think it is justified that the government give out around 300 pps numbers to Foreigners every day since jan this year...?

Will i tell you what makes me Laugh...?

people like you trying to tell the Irish People they should be grateful for the likes of you who came to this country to do nothing but economicly rape the country.

Ireland never needed mass immigration to fill jobs, that is a Myth.
    there were always a Certain Level of Irish people still unemployed before mass immigration into Ireland began.
    we may have needed a small amount of unskilled workers to clean toilets and so on, but we never needed the type of Flooding of immigrants that has occured in Ireland over the last 10 years.

The ordinary Irish person and the economy of Ireland did not benefit 1 bit from mass imigration, the only people that benefited were the immigrants and Big businesses that used cheap FOREIGN labour, to force Irish workers out of long fought for working contracts and workers rights.
    Big business and mass Immigration to Ireland also force Irish workers to compete with cheap Foreign Labour in Ireland to such an extent that Irish people are now forced to work for far less than there work is worth and they can simply no Longer compete with Foreign workers.

then we have the blatant abuse of Irelands welfare system by many immigrants, and the blatant abuse of Irelands asylum system, all by Foreigners.

the people of Ireland owe nothing to the Immigrants who came to Ireland, it is the immigrants that owe a large dept of grattitude to the irish people.

now that the Labour market has imploded, there are unsustainable amounts of "immigrants" claiming social welfare with no intention of leaving Ireland in search for work.

once again, immigrants had it very good when things were good, I re-iterate, the Irish People owe immigrants NOTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

TomRooney wrote: »

so by your logic if an irish man moved to china, he would actualy become a chinese man overnight...?

You're, quite frankly, and excuse my language, but an absolute f**king moron. I have a friend of my who's black, born and bred Irish. And thats just one person I know. I'm quite sure if that Irishman you speak of moved to China and had kids they would consider themselves to be Chinese and not Irish.

Cop the f**k on.

Its an globalised economy these days, what about, for arguments sake "all the Australian people on the dole over there because of the amount of Irish flooding the country."

Once again, moron.

And btw, I don't really give a crap about the queue, clearly just a publicity stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

are people really retarded enough [recession or not] to stand in a 20 mile long q along the streets of Dublin for god knows how many hours.?

seems totally absurd for one job at stake.

so, yeh nice but of advertising for londis courtesy of a few hundred well educated people. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Typical, yer man in the suit (32 seconds) trying to jump the queue. I see big business is still getting the leg up in Ireland! :mad:

Eh... no? Please show me where I made any mention of "overnight".
    What I was referring to is when a black/Asian person is BORN in Ireland and lives there all their life - that person is Irish.
    this type of PC crap has got to end, there is no such thing as an african, asian, middle eastern Irish man or woman, there are african, asian and all other races of people Living in Ireland, but that does not by any account make them Irish.
    Except it's not an attempt to be "PC". And you're wrong. Try telling a black person whose grandparents moved to London from the West Indies in the 50s that (s)he is not English.
    what about the nearly approx 240,000 irish people without jobs...?

do you realy think it is justified that the government give out around 300 pps numbers to Foreigners every day since jan this year...?
    Didn't I say it's reasonable to be concerned about the amount of people being let into this country considering the ailing economy?
    I suppose ignoring it though means you get to call me "PC"... ;)

You and Kev_ps3 are awesome the way you moan about the English being such bastards to the Irish (to the point of being fanatical republicans about it) yet you ain't exactly too keen on Irish hospitality being shown to immigrants here...

• Advertisement

are people really retarded enough [recession or not] to stand in a 20 mile long q along the streets of Dublin for god knows how many hours.?
    "Retarded enough" no, desperate enough yes. It doesn't appear as if you're aware of how bad the situation is.
    seems totally absurd for one job at stake.
    I could be wrong but I think there's more than one job - a lot more.

I think America was having the same thoughts so they have decided to send all the Irish home and since there are apparently around 36,495,800 who are of Irish ancestory things could get a bit crowded. The good news is that we will need to build a lot of houses, the bad news is that the queues for other jobs may be rather long, but hey look on the bright side - at least they will be mainly IRISH:eek::eek:

What an absolutely IDIOTIC statement.

North America, is a mongrel country it was founded by colonisers, and inhabited by colonisers.
    to claim the situation with Irish americans who largly emigrated to the US over 100 years ago and modern day immigrants to Ireland are in any way similar is plain stupidity.

also it would be much better for Ireland if there Diaspora returned to Ireland. instead of the riff raff that has been pouring into Ireland for the last 10 years, the dreggs of europe is mostly what we recieved, they are niether beneficial or needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

also it would be much better for Ireland if there Diaspora returned to Ireland. instead of the riff raff that has been pouring into Ireland for the last 10 years, the dreggs of europe is mostly what we recieved, they are niether beneficial or needed.

Tell me about it, all those Doctors and Nurses that run our hospitals are SUCH riff raff. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

What an absolutely IDIOTIC statement.

North America, is a mongrel country it was founded by colonisers, and inhabited by colonisers.
    to claim the situation with Irish americans who largly emigrated to the US over 100 years ago and modern day immigrants to Ireland are in any way similar is plain stupidity.

Off to Stormfront with you. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Meh. Over the last month or so while glancing over job websites i noticed that there are more and more jobs becoming available compared with the 11 months previous. Things are on the up. Trust me, i'm a doctorrrr.

crushproof wrote: »
    You're, quite frankly, and excuse my language, but an absolute f**king moron. I have a friend of my who's black, born and bred Irish

i beg to differ it is in fact you who is portraying a moronic leaning.
    as for your black friend he may consider himself african irish, but he is not Irish.
    I'm quite sure if that Irishman you speak of moved to China and had kids they would consider themselves to be Chinese and not Irish.

i doubt that, just look at the Irish people all over the world, they all consider themselves Irish, you wont hear an Irish man in the USA saying he is American, he will say I am Irish or at the very least Irish american.
    Cop the f**k on.

i suggest you adopt your own advice.
    Its an globalised economy these days, what about, for arguments sake "all the Australian people on the dole over there because of the amount of Irish flooding the country."

Once again, moron.

well Lets discuss facts, Like the fact the Australian government have a Law that states an employer must employ an australian citizen in preference to any immigrant worker.

so it is Highly unlikely there are many Aussies on the dole due to Irish workers, you seem to be blissfully ignorant of reality and facts.

i think you have clearly demonstrated you are in fact the Moron.

And btw, I don't really give a crap about the queue, clearly just a publicity stunt.

No, it is more of a Display of Facts, those being that over 90% of new jobs created in Ireland go to Foreign nationals.

• Advertisement

RKDus wrote: »
    Off to Stormfront with you. Pathetic.

ah yeah, typical small minded stifle debate trick from a person who can not tolerate facts.

crushproof wrote: »
    Tell me about it, all those Doctors and Nurses that run our hospitals are SUCH riff raff. :rolleyes:

you seem to be mistaken, i Never said there should be no immigration, my point is that Mass Immigration is not sustainable in Ireland, and further more it is putting Irish people out of work.

I have no Problem with immigrants being allowed in per need, through a sustainable and controlled immigration policy, but open flood gates style mass immigration is never beneficial.

ntlbell wrote: »
    There's jobs going all over the place.
    That's a statement more suited to the way things were three years ago. There are jobs out there but not "all over the place" and there are also many, many jobs being lost, so competition for the ones available is pretty darn full-on.
    So ALL Irish people were ***** to you? I never gave any foreigner abuse so I don't think it's fair to wish crap treatment on me if I move abroad just because I'm Irish. That comment is as bad as the stuff you're talking about.
    Will i tell you what makes me Laugh...?

people like you trying to tell the Irish People they should be grateful for the likes of you who came to this country to do nothing but economicly rape the country.
    wuzzik is raping the country economically? How? And based on?
    Ireland never needed mass immigration to fill jobs, that is a Myth.
    there were always a Certain Level of Irish people still unemployed before mass immigration into Ireland began.
    Yes, because we all know every single unemployed person is frantically looking for work at all times... :rolleyes:
    we may have needed a small amount of unskilled workers to clean toilets and so on, but we never needed the type of Flooding of immigrants that has occured in Ireland over the last 10 years.
    And yet they got the jobs, despite not being needed. Maybe you should blame the people who took them on if it bothers you that much?
    The ordinary Irish person and the economy of Ireland did not benefit 1 bit from mass imigration, the only people that benefited were the immigrants and Big businesses that used cheap FOREIGN labour, to force Irish workers out of long fought for working contracts and workers rights.
    Big business and mass Immigration to Ireland also force Irish workers to compete with cheap Foreign Labour in Ireland to such an extent that Irish people are now forced to work for far less than there work is worth and they can simply no Longer compete with Foreign workers.
    Oh right, so you blame the foreign workers for the big businesses taking advantage of them? Reasonable of you.
    then we have the blatant abuse of Irelands welfare system by many immigrants, and the blatant abuse of Irelands asylum system, all by Foreigners.
    Because they CAN. The system is in place to be abused - blame the government. Then again, what evidence do you have to support these claims? I know it does occur (along with abuse of the welfare system by Irish people) but on a widespread scale? Doubtful, but it's fun for you to say it...
    the people of Ireland owe nothing to the Immigrants who came to Ireland
    Who said they did? Or are you trying to justify your disgusting, hate-filled ramblings here? It's a cliché and it shouldn't have to be said, but here goes: MILLIONS of Irish people have emigrated - have you a problem with them?
    now that the Labour market has imploded, there are unsustainable amounts of "immigrants" claiming social welfare with no intention of leaving Ireland in search for work.
    Blame the system. And again, why the quote marks around immigrants? That's what they are, isn't it? And how do you know the amounts are unsustainable? The government is going to whatever lengths it can to recoup losses - despite your notion that immigrants will get special treatment apropos nothing, they won't be exempt from the clampdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

you seem to be mistaken, i Never said there should be no immigration, my point is that Mass Immigration is not sustainable in Ireland, and further more it is putting Irish people out of work.

I have no Problem with immigrants being allowed in per need, through a sustainable and controlled immigration policy, but open flood gates style mass immigration is never beneficial.

Stick with that approach and you won't get yourself banned for the other nonsense you've spouted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ah yeah, typical small minded stifle debate trick from a person who can not tolerate facts.

Even more stifling is your idea that this does not happen everywhere in Europe.

If you think you're being ****ed then go to Poland... you can easily find a job there because your Irish and will work for less because you decided to improve your happiness by leaving Ireland.

Should the people that come to Ireland be punished for wanting to improve their own lives?

I agree that tougher conditions are needed, but you should not have the view that all immigrants are using us

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement