Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A job vacancy!! We are in fu**ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

TomRooney wrote: »
    just some info on Immigration make of it what you will.

Emigration is up; unemployment is up; and still 230 migrants enter the country every day.
    Writing in the Irish Independent August 20 David McWilliams says:
    "The political implications of a return of Irish emigration, coupled with net immigration into the country are again straightforward. People will get angry if 'our own' are forced to live in Queens or Camden while the country plays host to all sorts of foreigners. This is not a racist comment; it’s a political reality."

IRELAND WILL continue to receive a significant number of migrants despite the downturn in the economy and a rise in emigration, Minister for Integration Conor Lenihan told the Parnell Summer School in Avondale, Co Wicklow, yesterday.
    Though PPS numbers allocated to migrants were down 40 per cent for the first six months of this year, "the flow continues inwards and 90 per cent of new jobs created in the economy have gone to migrants", the Minister said.
    This would continue, as would emigration, in a twofold process that was also a feature of other EU countries. He noted, for instance, that between 600,000 and 700,000 people left the UK annually. He also said that, while it was proposed that proficiency in English be mandatory for success in migrants securing Irish citizenship or permanent residency, he believed this should also be a requirement for success in their securing a work permit.
    Mr Lenihan said "inward migration will be a permanent feature of Irish society over the next 30 to 40 years". He noted that 12 per cent of children in Irish primary schools were the children of migrants or foreign-born parents, while the figure for post-primary schools was 7 per cent and growing.
    Link

THE State is spending around €150m a year hosting a "United Nations" of nationalities in rented properties, according to new figures.
    People from 161 different countries, ranging from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, are in receipt of the free rental allowance.
    They account for 39pc of the 63,000 people on the means-tested scheme, which costs a total of €390m annually and is generally open only to those who are unemployed.
    Although 61pc of people on the scheme are Irish, the numbers of immigrants on rent allowance has been increasing steadily.
    There are more than 3,000 from Nigeria, 3,000 from the UK, 1,950 from Poland and 1,130 from Romania. Small countries like the Bahamas, Chile, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Grenada and Honduras have just one citizen each on the scheme.
    Those also claiming rent supplement include 15 people from Cuba, 22 from Burma, 27 from Chechnya, 29 from Uzbekistan, 49 from Eritrea, 130 from Zimbabwe and 132 from Estonia.
    LINK

OFFICIAL FIGURES indicate that the bulk of those claiming asylum status in the Republic in the past 12 months came here from Britain and arrived across the Border with Northern Ireland.
    According to figures supplied by Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan, in response to a parliamentary question from Labour Justice spokesman Pat Rabbitte, more than 90 per cent of asylum seekers were already in this State when they first applied for asylum.
    The figures show that 3,844 people sought asylum in the Republic in the 12 months to the end of March. Of that number, 3,248 made their first application for asylum at the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner on Mount Street in Dublin, and not at their point of entry into the State.
    Of this number, only 12 sought asylum at ports, and 304 made their application at airports. A further 244 sought asylum from prison after they were jailed for committing an offence in this State.
    In the past 12 months, 3,406 asylum applications made in the first instance were refused, while 388 were granted.
    In the same period, the Refugee Appeals Tribunal, which hears appeals from the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner, received 2,571 appeals. Of these, 1,568 appeals were refused, 225 were granted, and the others are still pending.
    A significant number of asylum seekers made judicial review applications to the courts challenging the decisions of both the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner and the Refugee Appeals Tribunal.
    A Department of Justice spokesman pointed out that 468 of the applications for asylum made here came from people who had already applied for refugee status in another EU country.
    Source: The Irish Times

'False claims by foreign nationals focus on survey'
    The Irish Times 13/03/08
    Foreign nationals are over eight times more likely to attempt fraudulent child benefit claims than Irish-born parents, according to an investigation by the Department of Social and Family Affairs.
    Under the random survey, which began in 2004, 500 files of claims from Irish-born parents were compared with 500 from foreign-born parents, the department told the Irish Times yesterday.
    In a Dáil reply this week, Minister Martin Cullen said 1.7 per cent of Irish nationals’ cases were found to be fraudulent “compared to 13.9 per cent in the case of 500 non-Irish nationals surveyed, giving an overall level of fraud of 2.3 per cent”.

The probe was conducted according to rules laid by Comptroller and Auditor General John Purcell to ensure it was “sufficiently large to yield reasonably reliable estimates”, and all cases selected were fully investigated. Under EU law, employees from any member state can claim child benefit in another member state they are working in, even if their children are in their home state.
    Last month, it emerged the Department of Social and Family Affairs had late last year ordered non-Irish nationals living here and claiming child benefit for children living abroad to certify every three months that they are still employed in the state.

Foreign nationals receiving child benefit for children resident here will be required to certify twice a year that they and their children continue to reside here, and provide information about the schools and crèches attended. An investigation was carried out by department inspectors in Co Waterford last year into reports that some Polish nationals were flying in and out of the country in order to claim welfare benefits.
    Social welfare officials estimate the cost to the state of paying EU nationals child benefit and the €1.100-a-year childcare supplement for non-resident children will be up to €140 million in 2008.
    © 2008 ireland.com
    LINK

The above is a factual document - what really annoys me about it why are so many Nigerians & others (to whom imho we owe nothing because we are not a colonial power) in receipt of rent allowance. My farther is in his 70's work very hard all his life just lost his medical card under the revised scheme, paid tax through the nose often in excess of 50% in the pound, had some money saved for retirement not a fortune and is now lumped with medical bills has never received a Cent from the government. Why as a tax payer and Irish citizen is he been discriminated because we don't have enough money yet non citizens from countries with no connection to Ireland can arrive and receive benefits such as rent relief, could the many apologises explain that one to me.

As for the queue yesterday - Londis using people for a cheap PR campaign disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

SWL wrote: »
    The above is a factual document - what really annoys me about it why are so many Nigerians & others (to whom imho we owe nothing because we are not a colonial power) in receipt of rent allowance. My farther is in his 70's work very hard all his life just lost his medical card under the revised scheme, paid tax through the nose often in excess of 50% in the pound, had some money saved for retirement not a fortune and is now lumped with medical bills has never received a Cent from the government. Why as a tax payer and Irish citizen is he been discriminated because we don't have enough money yet non citizens from countries with no connection to Ireland can arrive and receive benefits such as rent relief, could the many apologises explain that one to me.

As for the queue yesterday - Londis using people for a cheap PR campaign disgusting.

Is it too much to ask that they put a temporary freeze on issuing PPS nos to immigrants? At least until our economy is back into growth? Australia and Canada have done something similar, its only right given the current situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hussey wrote: »
    what law is this? as that statement is pure BS
    Pretty sure a law like this has come into effect in Ireland recently. It just won't be enforced, though...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think they are all londis staff asked to turn out for a test interview...... It makes great publicity!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I started a thread on this topic yesterday but one of the left wing idiot mods locked it because i questioned why there were so many no e.u nationals in that lineup, a message to the mods on this form, you cant stop people having free speech and everybody today was talking about the amount of non nationals on that lineup and all were saying the exact same thing Irish jobs for Irish people.

Irish jobs for Irish people, are you serious?

Ireland would have completely died out as a country if Irish people hadn't gone to work in England and America.

But when the tables are turned how welcoming are we? F*ck all!!

So I take it you think it should be english jobs for english people, american jobs for american people aswell? Any of your family ever work in England?

This sanctimonious cr*p really annoys me.

• Advertisement

Ireland would have completely died out as a country if Irish people hadn't gone to work in England and America.

So I take it you think it should be english jobs for english people, american jobs for american people aswell? Any of your family ever work in England?

I agree with this however as someone who has worked and lived in all five continents when I lost my job or contract terminated I received and expected to receive Nada from the host country I worked in, and yes I did pay rent, food, and plenty of taxes.

In the middle East no job = Airport is that way = bye. Its not as if immigrants haven’t benefited from living here, reading some posts would think they were forced here by gun point, and in per purity they must be rewarded. When had Work( where you could live hassle free and make multiples of your country salary a month) they need work and made money, so I don't see how Ireland owes a whole lot to the United Nations that live here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree, I too think it hypocritical, but if the downturn continues and really starts to bite, protectionism of some sort will start to look more attractive for many countries and understandably so. In that case I would say EU citizens cool, but non EU not so cool.

I also agree with you when you mention irish in the US and Britain, but many, certainly in the 80's were illegals in the US. Try getting a working VISA there now. Getting a working VISA in OZ isn't so easy either. The British are clamping down on immigration and the only reason we can go there is due to the EU.

As I say, if this downturn really starts to bite and it could get many times worse than it is(especially here with the Govs dubious rescue plan), then job protectionism and a clamp down on migrant non EU workers will pretty much be a given. In any case if there are no jobs those same migrant workers will leave and go where there are jobs. Unless of course the welfare state takes up the slack. IMHO that should not happen. We simply can't afford it. This country is effectively broke and we need to realise this. The sooner we do and tighten our belts accordingly, the less our kids and grandkids will have to pay back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Dudess, how would you feel if Ireland was for example 3.5 million white Irish and say 5 million dark asians? Do you think they'd be tolerant towards us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

In the middle East no job = Airport is that way = bye.
    I really doubt we should be taking our cues on anything from the middle east.

Its not as if immigrants haven’t benefited from living here, reading some posts would think they were forced here by gun point, and in per purity they must be rewarded. When had Work( where you could live hassle free and make multiples of your country salary a month) they need work and made money, so I don't see how Ireland owes a whole lot to the United Nations that live here.

I don't see how them applying for a job or using the social welfare system they've contributed to amounts to them being "owed" anything. Then again, i'm one of those crazy people who thinks that "irish jobs for irish people" is a load of shit, and if you really want a job then your going to have to try harder.
    People need to stop blaming foreigners and just fucking get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

People need to stop blaming foreigners and just fucking get on with it.

I agree. I've been trying to find a job for months, and it's been nigh on impossible to find anything ...however I think it's ridiculous to blame ''da fordiners''. I'm just going to keep trying and hopefully something will turn up, blaming immigrants won't help my situation.

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »
    hopefully something will turn up

Sorry, it won't. Maybe you could try moving to India/Pakistan to work. Oh wait, their laws don't allow that.

Sorry, it won't.

Not with that attitude it won't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dudess, how would you feel if Ireland was for example 3.5 million white Irish and say 5 million dark asians? Do you think they'd be tolerant towards us?
    Fiji tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Sorry, it won't. Maybe you could try moving to India/Pakistan to work. Oh wait, their laws don't allow that.

Meh, moaning about immigrants won't help me...might as well keep trying. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

The amount of blatant racism on this thread is embarrassing. The way some are going on you would swear that the evil Asians are coming over, tying Irish people up in their homes and going to their jobs! Also, no-one is saying that there aren't foreigners cheating the social welfare system, but the solution to that is for SW to get their act together, and not for all foreigners to be kicked out of the country, including the VERY MANY that bring REAL benefit, financial and otherwise, to Ireland!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A passport and your instantly irish thats brilliant.
    Just as well otherwise those of us who came over in '69 would get sent back.
    1st may 1169, but because of 14 October 1066 we'd then get sent back to France and then to Scandinavia

I really doubt we should be taking our cues on anything from the middle east.

I don't see how them applying for a job or using the social welfare system they've contributed to amounts to them being "owed" anything. Then again, i'm one of those crazy people who thinks that "irish jobs for irish people" is a load of ****, and if you really want a job then your going to have to try harder.
    People need to stop blaming foreigners and just ****ing get on with it.

]Rather than selecting quoting my post maybe you should reread it, I have lived in other countries and always benefited from it, so they do benefit form been here cultural or economically or both, it appears to be all one way traffic we do not have the money for medical cards for the population who preceded us yet 3,000 non EU individuals can claim rent relief, so they should be given preferential treatment before someone like my farther who paid tax for 45 years and won't/hasn't received a cent and his medical card take from him.

Nobody on here is blaming the foreigners that’s the usual immature and very short sighted responses usually from people not living in the real world. This country can afford to keep payment welfare payments it is going bankrupt the country and you and your family will have to pay for this nonsense in the next twenty years with reduced services and a general sub standard of living - but then you could go to Nigeria and claim welfare there, not sure what you'll get thou

RKDus wrote: »
    including the VERY MANY that bring REAL benefit, financial and otherwise, to Ireland!

You forgot to mention the estimated 50 billion euros sent out of the country by these immigrants over the last few years. Paid for by debts from the bank, i.e. the taxpayer=you. But they're a "benefit", right? Don't make me laugh.

You forgot to mention the estimated 50 billion euros sent out of the country by these immigrants over the last few years. Paid for by debts from the bank, i.e. the taxpayer=you. But they're a "benefit", right? Don't make me laugh.

50 billion? Estimated by you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    That's a statement more suited to the way things were three years ago. There are jobs out there but not "all over the place" and there are also many, many jobs being lost, so competition for the ones available is pretty darn full-on.

the point being, the type of vacancy's that are going in londis are two to a penny they're everywhere _all_ the time during good and bad

londis just knew how to make a meal of it.

• Advertisement

Rather than selecting quoting my post maybe you should reread it, I have lived in other countries and always benefited from it, so they do benefit form been here cultural or economically or both, it appears to be all one way traffic we do not have the money for medical cards for the population who preceded us yet 3,000 non EU individuals can claim rent relief, so they should be given preferential treatment before someone like my farther who paid tax for 45 years and won't/hasn't received a cent and his medical card take from him.

i've re read it, it's still asinine.
    And they're not recieving preferental treatment, that would imply that your fathers medical care was taken from him in order to pay someones rent relief.
    Also, if he's lived here for 45 years he's definatly recieved plenty back from his tax money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

How much money did these immigrants spend here? Did they pay a rent to an immigrant or an irish landlord? Where did they go shopping? Whose taxes are paying the dole? Do you want to check the nationality of the majority of people on the dole? I think that a bit of aritmetic could help you here.

Could you point out where in that article it says this:
    ... the estimated 50 billion euros sent out of the country by these immigrants over the last few years. Paid for by debts from the bank, i.e. the taxpayer=you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why on earth would foreigners receive special treatment anyway? In this climate?
    The famine wasn't a famine at all
    O... k. The famine... was a famine. Caused by a crop blight.
    It was a genocide.
    Yes, the crown unforgiveably turned a blind eye. Interestingly enough, it also turned a blind eye to the famine in India, which would make it logical for all Irish people to feel an affinity with their Indian visitors... but nope.
    Ierland before the famine had the best nutrition of any country in europe.We were one of the richest countries in the world.......We also today would have had a bigger population than england has today
    :confused:
    Say what you like but it wasn't emigration
    Um... it wasn't?
    green123 wrote: »
    dudess, stop talking nonsense.
    99% of the people in that queue with dark skin are not irish, and you know it.
    Jesus ****ing wept... again: there is no guarantee all of those people are foreign, just because they have brown skin. Yes, most of them are likely to be foreign, but there is no guarantee all of them are, because a significant number of brown-skinned people are Irish. You have no way of knowing this til you speak to every one of them. It's not me being at pains to be "PC", it's just being logical instead of hysterical.
    Where did you get the 99% from? Oh actually I've a fair idea...
    we need to stop allowing so many of them in, why cant people see that ?
    why try to defend them and make excuses for them ?
    I think very few would dispute it is an issue of major concern if there are too many people coming into this country to live when the economy is in such a bad way, but what's being objected to is the blanket "all the foreigners in this country are out to fleece us" crap ("foreigner" meaning any or a combination of the following: non white, little to no English, native of a poor country/politically volatile country). Be fair and consider each foreigner - what about e.g. those who simply did an honest day's work here and paid their taxes? For the umpteenth time: Significant numbers of Asians come here to study, giving third level education a much-needed financial boost - non EU fees are very high. It's hardly unreasonable of them to look for part-time work.
    disgraceful that 90% of new jobs in this country go to people who were not born in this country.
    Are you actually blaming the workers themselves? Seriously? You do know that's something to put to the employer don't you? Hardly the employee...
    we create jobs here in ireland , give the jobs to migrants, and then the irish have to go on the dole or leave ireland.
    What the ****? Irish people are on the dole and emigrating, not because the economy is down the ****ter but because the jobs are all going to the immigrants? Priceless. Maybe consider the fact that these are hard-going, menial, badly paid jobs which Irish people don't want to do. Or the employer wants to pay lower wages (to cut costs) which immigrants will be more likely to take, in which case blame the employer, not the migrant workers.
    the worst part is that so many people on here are defending this system
    Nobody's defending the system FFS. People just object to the hilarious oversimplifications and frankly xenophobic comments. If anything, it's those objectors who are blaming the system - you and others are blaming the foreigners themselves, which just doesn't make sense. They're not going to barge into the country of their own accord. Someone has to let them in - blame them.
    ireland has been used and abuse by these migrants.
    ... because the door has been left wide open for them. But it's so much easier to blame all foreign workers indiscriminately.
    we keep hearing how we needed them so much
    During the boom, we did. It's not bull - just because you don't like the idea.
    cherry picking their way across europe until they found a soft touch like ireland.
    Do you have stats for this "cherry picking" you speak of? Anyhoo, again, if Ireland is the soft touch, then it's Ireland's fault.
    The above is a factual document - what really annoys me about it why are so many Nigerians & others (to whom imho we owe nothing because we are not a colonial power) in receipt of rent allowance. My farther is in his 70's work very hard all his life just lost his medical card under the revised scheme, paid tax through the nose often in excess of 50% in the pound, had some money saved for retirement not a fortune and is now lumped with medical bills has never received a Cent from the government. Why as a tax payer and Irish citizen is he been discriminated because we don't have enough money yet non citizens from countries with no connection to Ireland can arrive and receive benefits such as rent relief, could the many apologises explain that one to me
    Blame the system.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    I also agree with you when you mention irish in the US and Britain, but many, certainly in the 80's were illegals in the US.
    Yeah, further compounding the hypocrisy.
    I'm not sure what exactly you're driving at and it doesn't seem relevant, but I'll give it a go: I imagine some would, most wouldn't. Some people have an issue with colour, most don't... like anywhere.
    So what was the point again... oh yeah, are you trying to justify intolerance of dark-skinned Asians here? It really looks like you're saying "Well what do you expect Irish people to be? If it was the other way round, they'd be intolerant of us".
    Nobody on here is blaming the foreigners
    LOL - are you serious?

i've re read it, it's still asinine.
    And they're not recieving preferental treatment, that would imply that your fathers medical care was taken from him in order to pay someones rent relief.
    Also, if he's lived here for 45 years he's definatly recieved plenty back from his tax money.

I am not sure why the ORGINAL post you replied to is insane, maybe you could point it out
    Yes in my eye NON EU Nationals are receiving preferential treatment, the over 70's lost their medical cards because there wasn't enough money - but there is enough money to provide NON EU Nationals with rent relief that is preferential treatment, if he has received plenty back in his tax money and that was paying in excess of half hi annual salary in taxes, he has certainly paid more than others who are now benefiting more than he is, and by you're rational in the last post if they have paid taxes there are entitled to it back so why that not discrimination, it would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

Blame the system.

Sorry not good enough just not good enough - oh I had to take the money scam the system Irish or otherwise, because it was there, the system is trying a humane method of dealing with people who have paid into the system as a safety net. You may conduct your life by chancing your arm but I don't and I think anybody that condones that behaviour is scum, there are plenty of uses that money could be put not going to individuals wont are NOT Entitled to it, the blame the system brigade & not the people taking the piss is unacceptable, Do individuals have any self control, or has the victim mentality gone that far people need to be mothered and act like children in a sweet shop

LOL - are you serious?[/quote]

Are you

I am not sure why the ORGINAL post you replied to is insane, maybe you could point it out
    Yes in my eye NON EU Nationals are receiving preferential treatment, the over 70's lost their medical cards because there wasn't enough money - but there is enough money to provide NON EU Nationals with rent relief that is preferential treatment, if he has received plenty back in his tax money and that was paying in excess of half hi annual salary in taxes, he has certainly paid more than others who are now benefiting more than he is, and by you're rational in the last post if they have paid taxes there are entitled to it back so why that not discrimination, it would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

I can't get your point, sorry. Are over 70's not entitled to rent relief? Or are you mixing different things just to have your argument look right?

I can't get your point, sorry. Are over 70's not entitled to rent relief? Or are you mixing different things just to have your argument look right?

I don't know, he owns his own home - the only thing my farther has ever received from the government & happy to receive was his medical card, given his age and poor health, he spends most of his time worrying he will run out of money - (even though while I am around to look after him) he paid his taxes, and I think its a disagree fair enough if the money wasn't there, but the rationale that as a nation we need to provide for individuals from non EU countries to support them through rent relief is outrageous

For clarification the londis jobs were advertised publicly if Irish people wanted and I think there were Irish people in the queue they could get an interview like everybody else - so I am not "blaming the foreigners" for going to a job interview. My problem is the article of factual evidence posted a couple of pages back where €350 is spent unnecessary.

]We have one the best Social Welfare system in the world, I would prefer if we were better at something else

• Advertisement

I don't know, he owns his own home - the only thing my farther has ever received from the government & happy to receive was his medical card, given his age and poor health, he spends most of his time worrying he will run out of money - (even though while I am around to look after him) he paid his taxes, and I think its a disagree fair enough if the money wasn't there, but the rationale that as a nation we need to provide for individuals from non EU countries to support them through rent relief is outrageous

For clarification the londis jobs were advertised publicly if Irish people wanted and I think there were Irish people in the queue they could get an interview like everybody else - so I am not "blaming the foreigners" for going to a job interview. My problem is the article of factual evidence posted a couple of pages back where €350 is spent unnecessary.

]We have one the best Social Welfare system in the world, I would prefer if we were better at something else

Again, anyone who pays rent is entitled to rent relief. Remember that rent relief is up to 400 euro (now I think is less) a year, just suppose that the average rent is 1k per month, it is a total of 12k that are usually paid to a *Irish* landlord. Do you think that the ridiculous prices for renting a house in Dublin are an advantage to foreigners?

Additionally, I'm not an expert but I don't think that rent relief is social welfare, rent allowances is social welfare, do you want to check the nationality of the majority of people getting the rent allowances? And remember that social welfare is paid with the taxes of the people working, no matter if the they are Irish or not

Again, anyone who pays rent is entitled to rent relief. Remember that rent relief is up to 400 euro (now I think is less) a year, just suppose that the average rent is 1k per month, it is a total of 12k that are usually paid to a *Irish* landlord.

Do you think that the ridiculous prices for renting a house in Dublin are an advantage to foreigners?

Additionally, I'm not an expert but I don't think that rent relief is social welfare, rent allowances is social welfare, do you want to check the nationality of the majority of people getting the rent allowances? And remember that social welfare is paid with the taxes of the people working, no matter if the they are Irish or not

I am taking about rent allowance - we all pay taxes i have paid them in other countires too, don't think its too much to ask myself - to pay you're own way. The irish are the majority taxpayer

Do you think paying €1,000/month is an advantage to Iirsh People?

If you don't have your own home you pay rent, its a fact of Real Adulat life no one likes it but there you go - we must all pay your own way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

in my eye NON EU Nationals are receiving preferential treatment, the over 70's lost their medical cards because there wasn't enough money - but there is enough money to provide NON EU Nationals with rent relief that is preferential treatment, if he has received plenty back in his tax money and that was paying in excess of half hi annual salary in taxes, he has certainly paid more than others who are now benefiting more than he is, and by you're rational in the last post if they have paid taxes there are entitled to it back so why that not discrimination, it would be if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Why would this government dish out preferential treatment to foreigners? Seriously, how would it benefit them?
    Blame the system.
    Sorry not good enough just not good enough - oh I had to take the money scam the system Irish or otherwise, because it was there, the system is trying a humane method of dealing with people who have paid into the system as a safety net. You may conduct your life by chancing your arm but I don't and I think anybody that condones that behaviour is scum, there are plenty of uses that money could be put not going to individuals wont are NOT Entitled to it, the blame the system brigade & not the people taking the piss is unacceptable, Do individuals have any self control, or has the victim mentality gone that far people need to be mothered and act like children in a sweet shop
    You're going to have to be a bit more specific there, because not all of them are "scammers" just because they're foreign.
    Are you
    I don't know what you're referring to but I asked "are you serious?" when you said nobody here is blaming the foreigners, as that is absolutely untrue.
    Who says we "need" to provide for non EU nationals? If it's the case, it's hardly being done for no good reason. Honestly, there are people who believe that the Irish government have a policy of "right, let's give non EU nationals preferential treatment just... for the sake of it, no particular reason" and even if that were the case, why are the non EU nationals themselves being blamed for the system?
    But again, not the foreigners' doing.
    I agree. The dole should be far more rigorously means-tested. I'm not disagreeing ludicrous handouts have been thrown out like confetti over the past good few years here - but I'm angry at the government for it rather than immigrants. It's easy to pick a soft target like non EU nationals (especially non white, non English speaking ones from deprived, oppressed countries - YES, it's true. The xenophobes here would feel differently about white Americans or Australians, don't pretend otherwise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

SWL, can you keep your font to the default colour. Its a pain to read.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Rabies wrote: »
    SWL, can you keep your font to the default colour. Its a pain to read.

Thanks

I use the white skin and didn't notice. Just went on an editing spree. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

50 billion? Estimated by you?
    he made you look like a ****ing eejit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dudess wrote: »
    Why would this government dish out preferential treatment to foreigners? Seriously, how would it benefit them?

You're going to have to be a bit more specific there, because not all of them are "scammers" just because they're foreign.

I don't know what you're referring to but I asked "are you serious?" when you said nobody here is blaming the foreigners, as that is absolutely untrue.

Who says we "need" to provide for non EU nationals? If it's the case, it's hardly being done for no good reason. Honestly, there are people who believe that the Irish government have a policy of "right, let's give non EU nationals preferential treatment just... for the sake of it, no particular reason" and even if that were the case, why are the non EU nationals themselves being blamed for the system?

But again, not the foreigners' doing.

I agree. The dole should be far more rigorously means-tested. I'm not disagreeing ludicrous handouts have been thrown out like confetti over the past good few years here - but I'm angry at the government for it rather than immigrants. It's easy to pick a soft target like non EU nationals (especially non white, non English speaking ones from deprived, oppressed countries - YES, it's true. The xenophobes here would feel differently about white Americans or Australians, don't pretend otherwise).

You were saying you'd probably be spending at least a year on the dole when your contract ran out.
    Why werent you in that queue?

So you didn't actually read the article posted. Now how do you look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Banned.

depressing video..

i only pay maybe 4-5k tax a year.. so it takes at least 2 of me to keep 1 person on standard dole :( if dole queues keep growing, we're just fuked..

i'm perfectly happy supporting benefits because i could join that queue next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

depressing video..

i only pay maybe 4-5k tax a year.. so it takes at least 2 of me to keep 1 person on standard dole :( if dole queues keep growing, we're just fuked..

i'm perfectly happy supporting benefits because i could join that queue next week.

What gets me is the willingness of irish people to join the dole queues.
    You dont hear people saying "Sod that,i'll set something up" or "I'll start my own business"..instead its all "I'm gonna be on the dole because companies arent hiring" etc etc.
    If everybody displays this attitude of enevitability,we'll never get out of this hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 wuzzik

The amount of blatant racism on this thread is embarrassing. The way some are going on you would swear that the evil Asians are coming over, tying Irish people up in their homes and going to their jobs! Also, no-one is saying that there aren't foreigners cheating the social welfare system, but the solution to that is for SW to get their act together, and not for all foreigners to be kicked out of the country, including the VERY MANY that bring REAL benefit, financial and otherwise, to Ireland!

WELL SAID RKDus

I think some of the people on this forum need to be educated on the different types of Foreigners in Ireland perhaps then we could have a more constructive debate

1) EU Nationals - They have the right to live and work here and by the same token Irish people have the right to live and work in their countries. That's what you get for being part of the EU

2) Foreign Students - These people pay ridiculous fees to study in this country and need to work to be able to live. They can not claim any benefits and since they are paying high fees Irish students have enjoyed free college - apart from registration fees

3) Non EU Nationals - The majority of these people were recruited in their home countries by the likes of Intel, Group 4 security and the Health Board. They need a work permit and before they can be offered a job it needs to have been advertised in Ireland. There are certain categories for which permits will not be issued.

http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/work-permits-ireland.htm

People in this category do NOT get preferential treatment and are in fact discriminated against in certain areas.

Most of these people sold houses in their home countries and brought their life savings with them. Many of us have been here over 8 years and have worked all that time. We have either bought houses built by Irish developers or are renting houses from Irish property owners. We are only entitled to rent relief or mortgage interest relief the SAME as any Irish person is.

We do however have to
    a) register with the Garda immigration official on an annual basis
    b) We have to notify him within 48 hours of moving house.
    c) If our children who have been educated here for the past 8+ years want to go to college we have to pay full fees,
    d) Our children can not work unless they can get a work permit which is becoming increasingly difficult if you look at the link provided.
    e) We also have to prove that we have private health insurance so that we are not a burden on the state if we get sick.

SO WHERE EXACTLY IS THE PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT????

4) Refugees and Asylum seekers - These are the only non EU Nationals that are entitled to any assistance at all. If the Government is still granting this to vast numbers of people whose fault is that? I did not vote for this government DID YOU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I wonder if yer man making the video has a job?

Degsy wrote: »
    What gets me is the willingness of irish people to join the dole queues.
    You dont hear people saying "Sod that,i'll set something up" or "I'll start my own business"..instead its all "I'm gonna be on the dole because companies arent hiring" etc etc.
    If everybody displays this attitude of enevitability,we'll never get out of this hole.

in fairness, in a credit crunch, the banks don't have the money to finance new businesses. and if you take me as an example, i'm 21.. if i become unemployed tomorrow, what sort of business could i setup like.

i get your point but this is mass unemployment.. there's nowhere to turn to only welfare.

in fairness, in a credit crunch, the banks don't have the money to finance new businesses. and if you take me as an example, i'm 21.. if i become unemployed tomorrow, what sort of business could i setup like.

More to the point, who would you sell to? People aren't spending, there isn't much of a pie for you to grab a slice of.

The "Start your own business, dummy" solution is about as sensible as saying "poor people are only poor because they don't work hard enough, dammit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

i get your point but this is mass unemployment.. there's nowhere to turn to only welfare.

Also I think if you start your own business and it fails you're left for weeks and weeks without any source of income, as social welfare for self employed people is apparently difficult to sort out. That would scare people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

i dunno but i do despair - i do work but losing our job is over absolutely everyone who is workings head - i do not want to be unemployed and if i was to be made redundant it would devastate me as i only bought my house last year so with mortgage and bills id would lose my home..

so far as soc welfare fraud this is huge but should not be associated with foreign nationals thats a black and white view and for everything there is always lots of grey in the middle - irish are more than capable of scaming the soc welfare system..

for anyone who has been redundant a change of perspective should be in order - this is the time to do a course maybe in a different area get more qualifications with broader spectrum making you available for more types of employment... for others maybe volunteer in a few charity or community projects, its best to keep yourself busy and always looks great for future cv's etc i know that maybe easy for me as i am still in work but i have been unemployed and know what its like and i kept myself very active doing courses etc it looked great on my cv and helped getting employment in the job i have now..

the irish tend to excuse too much - in a way maybe the foreign nationals have shown us up abit they will work anywhere and any type of position be it high management or the more menial positions like cleaners etc whereas we tended not to when this celtic tiger was around that and our materialism from it- now we are forced to look at ourselves and get back to what is really important and now appreciating we shouldnt have been so fussy but that is why the foreign nationals are some what ahead of us cause they were always willing to work so they have this experience over the last few years here whereas we dont .

i am not saying irish are lazy and am well sure there are lots of irish now that would take any position going - the celtic tiger ruined us not made us better - i say we got americanised in the sense that we wanted bigger cars, bigger houses, cash to flash etc now we are being brought crashing back to earth - reality bites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

shezzie wrote: »
    so far as soc welfare fraud this is huge but should not be associated with foreign nationals thats a black and white view and for everything there is always lots of grey in the middle - irish are more than capable of scaming the soc welfare system..

Not exactly social welfare but its still fraudulent claims.

"FOREIGN NATIONALS are over eight times more likely to attempt fraudulent child benefit claims than Irish-born parents, according to an investigation by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. Under the random survey, which began in 2004, 500 files of claims from Irish-born parents were compared with 500 from foreign-born parents, the department told The Irish Times yesterday."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0313/1205104710922.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

2,000 Applicants.

1,000 Brazilians in the queue, WTF?

100 Irish people applied, the rest were FN's. So for the people who were 'put down' by some people for their assumption that the majority were FN's, have a slice of humble pie at your leisure.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/anger-as-job-seekers-told-to-queue-up-in-the-street-1720300.html
    wrote:
    The Griffin Group boss noted the low percentage of Irish applicants for the jobs on offer compared to other nationalities, saying: "There seems to be a lot of networking that goes on among the different nationalities. About 50 per cent of the queue was made up of Brazilians. Only five per cent of the queue was Irish. We would have thought we would have had more Irish applicants."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Can we have a seperate After Hours for racists please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Seems like a publicity stunt.

I hope the guy/girl that got the job deserves it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement