Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A job vacancy!! We are in fu**ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

IBEC and ISME organized it with Londis.
    They paid people to stand in line.
    More videos like this drives the wage demands down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

To be fair, there have always been a lot of people looking for jobs in the city centre. I remember applying for a job stacking shelves in a supermarket in town during the early 00s and I was told that there were over a hundred other applicants for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

that video is Shocking:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

that video is Shocking:eek:

Its not really.
    There were a lot of jobs on offer. Many unskilled people need jobs, so this was an option for them.

Jeans, runners, tracksuits though. :D
    Cant see people turning up like that for any quality jobs on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Dudess wrote: »
    Could be Irish, despite having dark skin.
    Could be students - a lot of Asians do PhDs and post-docs here and the fees are extremely expensive (they're pumping badly needed funds into the third level education sector) so they badly need part-time work.

But I'm sure you'll just skirt over those possibilities - it's more fun to bitch about foreigners.

If you do a research PhD or postdoc here you are paid money, but your point is correct about many international students for Master's courses, they actually contribute a lot of income to 3rd level institutions and economy in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

think the guy @ 1:36 needs new sparkplugs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Quazzie wrote: »
    There aren't that many Irish in that queue tbf.

Haven't read through the long pages of this thread but I noted that a figure of just 5% was just Irish people applying or able to apply.
    (according to Londis and the CV's handed in by those being interviewed)
    For whatever reason this figure came about, it's shocking to see that 95% (Holy Crap!) were foreigners.
    Has the flood gates into Ireland suddenly got wider in the last year or what?

Jeasus, I'm sorry to say it but enough is enough! If this is even a slight indication of what our welfare system is under (I acknowledge it contains genuine Irish too), we are truly fcuked.

Thank you (not) Fianna Fail, Cowan, Bertie and every one of ye miserable still self serving, still wage bonus grabbing screw-ups.

If not posted already:
    Irish Independent story - click here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why were so many Brazilian people applying for the job? And how easy is it for them to get work permits considering that they aren't from the EU and are more than unlikely to be refugees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That queue should have gone down the much emptier Dawson St and not Grafton St. Too sensible to do so I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Degsy wrote: »
    You were saying you'd probably be spending at least a year on the dole when your contract ran out.
    Why werent you in that queue?
    Because I live in Cork, not Dublin, so I was unaware of it. This is Boards.ie not Dublinboards.ie. And I've handed my CV into a Gala in Cork that will be looking for people soon.
    You should perhaps save your bitching for when you wind up unemployed yourself and you refuse to sign on and you set up a business... Oh wait, you're in a secure public sector job so that's never gonna happen - NEXT!
    maninasia wrote: »
    If you do a research PhD or postdoc here you are paid money, but your point is correct about many international students for Master's courses, they actually contribute a lot of income to 3rd level institutions and economy in general.
    Yeah you're paid money but sod all - definitely not enough to pay back the loans you'd need to cover the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Biggins wrote: »
    Haven't read through the long pages of this thread but I noted that a figure of just 5% was just Irish people applying or able to apply.
    (according to Londis and the CV's handed in by those being interviewed)
    For whatever reason this figure came about, it's shocking to see that 95% (Holy Crap!) were foreigners.
    Has the flood gates into Ireland suddenly got wider in the last year or what?

Jeasus, I'm sorry to say it but enough is enough! If this is even a slight indication of what our welfare system is under (I acknowledge it contains genuine Irish too), we are truly fcuked.

Thank you (not) Fianna Fail, Cowan, Bertie and every one of ye miserable still self serving, still wage bonus grabbing screw-ups.

If not posted already:
    Irish Independent story - click here.

Careful now, apparently if you say anything factual in relation to anybody that isn't Irish you're a racist, works evey time :rolleyes:
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Can we have a seperate After Hours for racists please?

Ah in fairness, Biggins' point is reasonable - it's only the crazy sh1t from a few pages back that's being referred to as "racist".
    I don't know about racist, but xenophobic, certainly.

And again, as people have been saying ad nauseum on this thread (but it's not getting through): there were several jobs on offer by Londis, not just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why were so many Brazilian people applying for the job? And how easy is it for them to get work permits considering that they aren't from the EU and are more than unlikely to be refugees.

It's a good question. :confused:
    I can understand that EU nationals are allowed work here.

But why are people from outside the EU getting work permits?
    Fair enough if it's in skilled areas like nursing, as I understand there are many Filipinos in that area.

Do these Brazilians have special key skills to get work permits? I doubt they got work permits to work in newsagents.

I know Gort well but that was to do with a meat processing plant, something any EU citizen could do.
    I'd say Gort have a fantastic soccer team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ah in fairness, Biggins' point is reasonable - it's only the crazy sh1t from a few pages back that's being referred to as "racist".
    I don't know about racist, but xenophobic, certainly.

And again, as people have been saying ad nauseum on this thread (but it's not getting through): there were several jobs on offer by Londis, not just one.
    His point was entirely fair. It seems though that if anybody dares state the obvious in relation to FN's then they shout racist. What a LOB. I honestly think since the economy nosedived people are taking a little bit more notice about why the country is skint. Be that how the govt is spending money, why they arent doing enough to contain the situation and where the jobs are coming from. Its entirely fair comment imo to ask why 1,000 brazlians have work permits,perhaps they were students. I think people are more let down by the 'system' more so than annoyed by the immigrants themselves, its not something the govt ever seemed to have a real strategy on, specifically Bertie and McDowell and its come home to roost now. FF's mantra was "A lot done,more to do". Maybe they should have a rethink "We did FA,can we start again?" :rolleyes:

Maybe the Londis thing highlighted the fact that a lot of the more 'casual' jobs (i.e. flexi hours that suit students etc) are harder to come by and given there was 200 jobs going it wasnt unreasonable to think 2,000 people could turn up, 10 applicants per job,. fair enough.
    mikemac wrote: »
    It's a good question. :confused:
    I can understand that EU nationals are allowed work here.

I know Gort well but that was to do with a meat processing plant, something any EU citizen could do.
    I'd say Gort have a fantastic soccer team!
    Have you been down there? They might be able to scrape together a decent over 40's team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

My God, where have all the Irish people gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

My God, where have all the Irish people gone?

mass emigration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

wow, thats depressing...
    Just when i decided to finally get off my ass and get me a job... The chances look more slim than ever!
    But i'll keep looking... I got good skills i'ld say, just no experience................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

wow, thats depressing...
    Just when i decided to finally get off my ass and get me a job... The chances look more slim than ever!
    But i'll keep looking... I got good skills i'ld say, just no experience................

what are your good skills

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

The Brazilians are students and only allowed work part time unless on holidays from there course. They pay a lot of money for their courses and visas. They are usually the last choice for a job as they have work restrictions. Most Irish or europeans are better off on the dole than work 20 hours, these non europeans get nothing from the government.

A LOT are starting to go home now as the casual jobs dry up. There are still a lot coming but usually only last until there savings run out as there's almost no work for them anymore. Many appy for PPS numbers but never use them which is why the official figures aren't entirely accurate.

^True. Most foreign people are students and they're paying big sums for college fees, visas and all. And they get nothing off the government. The government doesn't give Non-EU nationals any social security or welfare or anything. So you people need to stop complaining saying they're taking away your social welfare, jobs and all. They're pumping millions into the Irish economy every year instead of leeching from the economy like those lazy feckers who get paid for sitting on their lazy asses at home!

And what is the government doing with all the tax money?!

My sis's income tax just went up by 10%. She's now paying easily over €40k a year as tax money. Its absolutely ridiculous. She's working atleast 4 months a year just to pay off the government and the government is doing jack ****!!!

I hope all this bull **** gets fixed by the time i graduate out of college. Or else i can't wait to get out of this country thats getting worse by the year!
    shezzie wrote: »
    what are your good skills

well, i'm pretty smart i like to think, i managed to get into med school. I'm good with music, photography and computer stuff. I think i could handle most jobs pretty well...
    Just never bothered looking for one. But now i'm feeling the need...

• Advertisement

^True. Most foreign people are students and they're paying big sums for college fees, visas and all. And they get nothing off the government. The government doesn't give Non-EU nationals any social security or welfare or anything. So you people need to stop complaining saying they're taking away your social welfare, jobs and all. They're pumping millions into the Irish economy every year instead of leeching from the economy like those lazy feckers who get paid for sitting on their lazy asses at home!

My sis's income tax just went up by 10%. She's now paying easily over €40k a year as tax money. Its absolutely ridiculous. She's working atleast 4 months a year just to pay off the government and the government is doing jack ****!!!

I hope all this bull **** gets fixed by the time i graduate out of college. Or else i can't wait to get out of this country thats getting worse by the year!

well, i'm pretty smart i like to think, i managed to get into med school. I'm good with music, photography and computer stuff. I think i could handle most jobs pretty well...
    You may want to take up some Urdu and/or Portuguese classes aswell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Enough is enough what, exactly?

What the hell are you people railing against? If the queue is 95% non irish that shows one thing and one thing only, non-irish people are putting more effort into getting a job than we are.

Clearly, this is irresponsible behaviour and will screw us all.
    Those maniacs! damn them, DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!

yes, damn them for.... wait what?
    Ok, i know you've a habit of shoehorning your foaming anger at the current governemnt into everything, but i'm not seeing it this time.

Teach me your strange ways......

You may want to take up some Urdu and/or Portuguese classes aswell :D

Working on it currently! :pac:

You know, there seems to be something fishy in the fact that if you go into a Spar, Londis, Centra, any convenience store in Dublin city center, you are almost guaranteed to be served by a South Asian. Why is this?
    "Thank you, come again!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Your sister is paying over €40K in tax a year. :eek::confused:

Just doing a very quick, rough calculation, that would make her gross pay about €120K.
    Sorry to say this, but then she should be paying €40K in tax - she can afford it.

Oh, and about the government doing jack - I am not saying that they are doing a good job, but please tel me who is providing the health service, the police service, etc.
    At least you get something for your tax money - not as much as some countries, but better than a lot of countries.

^I think if the government just steps out and let the private sector take over the education and health services, they'ld do a much better job.
    Yup, my sis is a doctor and they're getting the worst of the recession. The HSE is a joke!

Instead of being rewarded for working hard and becoming a professional, the government is punishing her with higher taxes so that some lazy git can sit at home smoking weed!

Enough is enough what, exactly?

What the hell are you people railing against? If the queue is 95% non irish that shows one thing and one thing only, non-irish people are putting more effort into getting a job than we are.

The one point was about the strain on the welfare system (from all nationality sides including our own) and how its seriously straining the country in its own way. My particular post is not directly concerning any one nationality.
    How they managed to get here though and strain it, IS a worry though! Why so many Brazilians for example? Just asking...
    yes, damn them for.... wait what?
    Ok, i know you've a habit of shoehorning your foaming anger at the current government into everything, but i'm not seeing it this time.

Teach me your strange ways......

Again going back to the strain of the welfare system alone.
    There are better ways to cope with those unfortunate enough to be currently unemployed.
    Slightly off topic: Not just playing around unemployment figures saying they (used to) drop - when in actual fact numbers are still the same but re-categorised; example those moved from the dole to FAS schemes.

In all this time, our government with previous money, research and forward planning, could have lessened the impact of the current economic crises.
    Jeasus, all they had to do was for one week study how similar situation are well better handled as in Canada.

Under consecutive F.F. years, nothing has been done to help, reduce, forward plan, prepare, use alternative incentives, etc.
    What we did have, was the ability to afford at the time to seek new ways, new people, new thinking but naaa.
    The extra "Tiger" money was wasted.

How they managed to get here though and strain it, IS a worry though! Why so many Brazilians for example? Just asking...

Why is it a worry? It's hardly nefarious, apply for a visa then come here.
    They're here, they've got work permits or whatever. I see nothing to worry about in that regard.

Again going back to the strain of the welfare system alone.
    There are better ways to cope with those unfortunate enough to be currently unemployed.

For example? I would have thought actively looking for a job was one of, if not the best way to cope.

In all this time, our government with previous money, research and forward planning, could have lessened the impact of the current economic crises.
    Jeasus, all they had to do was for one week study how similar situation are well better handled as in Canada.

Canada isn't the rosey wonderland you think it is.

Why is it a worry? It's hardly nefarious, apply for a visa then come here.
    They're here, they've got work permits or whatever. I see nothing to worry about in that regard.

For example? I would have thought actively looking for a job was one of, if not the best way to cope.

Canada isn't the rosey wonderland you think it is.

I take on-board all your points but instead of doing nothing and being consistently distracted with European leader bullies and going on spending spree and bucking up their own wages, they could have helped much much better.

I know Canada is not the rosey land - however they took serious preventive economic steps while things were going good for them in the same time period and now are more secure economically, their banking systems are seriously secure (- not one has got into serious trouble/needed bailouts, etc).
    They don't have the same social welfare problems/strain.
    They used their surplus cash to good stead. What did we do! Let the FF boyo's do what they do best. Fcuk it all (the government department systems and bureaucracy) up yet again.

...we are wandering off topic though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

You don't think 120,000+ Euro is a very high salary in Ireland and is higher than almost any country worldwide (except for US where doctors pay to go thru medical school and they have to pay astronom. private liability insurance)..paying 40k Euro is still only 33%, in many countries she would be paying over 50%. You intend to graduate after taking 7 years of free fees (equal to 100,000s Euro of taxpayers money) and emigrate. Wow, I hope you are not a typical medical student. Your sister probably paid no fees for college either, in other countries she would have to work for a decade to pay off her student loan in addition to paying taxes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

RKDus wrote: »
    The amount of blatant racism on this thread is embarrassing. The way some are going on you would swear that the evil Asians are coming over, tying Irish people up in their homes and going to their jobs! Also, no-one is saying that there aren't foreigners cheating the social welfare system, but the solution to that is for SW to get their act together, and not for all foreigners to be kicked out of the country, including the VERY MANY that bring REAL benefit, financial and otherwise, to Ireland!

Please provide a link to where a poster said "kick all foreigners out of the country"

Also your analysis that if foreigners are cheating the SW system, then it’s the SW fault id like a rapist saying "I had to rape her honour she was wearing a short skirt".

Also if a poster suggests that a green card system is introduced you would be the first one to play the race card, personally I think a green card/points system should be introduced - but that of course makes me a racist & xenophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

TomRooney wrote: »
    I must have misunderstood your point, I would accept anybody who was born and reared in Ireland, would be african Irish or asian Irish and so on, but i would not consider them Irish per say, there is a distinction, and there is no need to presume i mean the distinction denotes a positive or negative connotation, just a recognition of reality.

So a black or asian person from the UK is not British? How about a third generation black Irish person, would that person be Irish or would you have to call them African-Irish? How about a child with a black father who immigrated from New Orleans and a white mother? Let's face it, you're a bigot!

wuzzik wrote: »
    WELL SAID RKDus

I think some of the people on this forum need to be educated on the different types of Foreigners in Ireland perhaps then we could have a more constructive debate

1) EU Nationals - They have the right to live and work here and by the same token Irish people have the right to live and work in their countries. That's what you get for being part of the EU

2) Foreign Students - These people pay ridiculous fees to study in this country and need to work to be able to live. They can not claim any benefits and since they are paying high fees Irish students have enjoyed free college - apart from registration fees

3) Non EU Nationals - The majority of these people were recruited in their home countries by the likes of Intel, Group 4 security and the Health Board. They need a work permit and before they can be offered a job it needs to have been advertised in Ireland. There are certain categories for which permits will not be issued.

http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/work-permits-ireland.htm

People in this category do NOT get preferential treatment and are in fact discriminated against in certain areas.

Most of these people sold houses in their home countries and brought their life savings with them. Many of us have been here over 8 years and have worked all that time. We have either bought houses built by Irish developers or are renting houses from Irish property owners. We are only entitled to rent relief or mortgage interest relief the SAME as any Irish person is.

We do however have to
    a) register with the Garda immigration official on an annual basis
    b) We have to notify him within 48 hours of moving house.
    c) If our children who have been educated here for the past 8+ years want to go to college we have to pay full fees,
    d) Our children can not work unless they can get a work permit which is becoming increasingly difficult if you look at the link provided.
    e) We also have to prove that we have private health insurance so that we are not a burden on the state if we get sick.

SO WHERE EXACTLY IS THE PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT????

4) Refugees and Asylum seekers - These are the only non EU Nationals that are entitled to any assistance at all. If the Government is still granting this to vast numbers of people whose fault is that? I did not vote for this government DID YOU.

Firstly to suggest that foreign students who do pays fees are single handling supporting the third level education system is ridiculous – have you any idea the budget for one third level institution is?

The majority of Irish taxes are recouped in the range of €40,000 - €80,000 – the majority of them are Irish. There were University here more than 10 years ago it’s not a new phenomenon; those in the above tax range are the ones who pay for everything, education SW payments on and on.

Also get used to paying third level fees because the days of free third level are gone, the money is not there is gone to people who weren’t entitled to it. Also I had to pay third levels fees so it’s not like you are the only one.

Now for the many apologise for legal crimes such as SW fraud perpetuated by foreigners (its also interesting to hear Irish people who cam the system are scum, but foreigners it the system fault) have yet to understand why I contributed to this thread, not one poster has expressly understood why an Irish citizen having paid tax at the high rate for 45 years can’t get any assistance from the state for medical costs, yet 3,000 Nigerians are receiving rent allowance to sit on there asses.

Can the many apologies Irish and foreign explain that one

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

nitrogen wrote: »
    So a black or asian person from the UK is not British? How about a third generation black Irish person, would that person be Irish or would you have to call them African-Irish? How about a child with a black father who immigrated from New Orleans and a white mother? Let's face it, you're a bigot!

Banned.

More to the point, who would you sell to? People aren't spending, there isn't much of a pie for you to grab a slice of.

The "Start your own business, dummy" solution is about as sensible as saying "poor people are only poor because they don't work hard enough, dammit".

Great idea lets all sit on our arses and waits for somebody else to wave a magic wand - that will get us out of this recession we can claim SW payments while we wait too great

All together now hocus pocas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

More to the point, who would you sell to? People aren't spending, there isn't much of a pie for you to grab a slice of.

The "Start your own business, dummy" solution is about as sensible as saying "poor people are only poor because they don't work hard enough, dammit".

Precisely the attitude i'm talking about.
    "Nobody's buying,there's no point trying to do anything,lets all go on the dole and scab money instead."

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

I think the fact that a lot of them were not Irish is a fair point. I remember when I was 18 and I finished school I was working in a Superquinn. For a year There was only myself and one other guy employed full time on the shop floor. I was run off my feet. They could not get anyone to work there, people were too good to work in a store. A year later and the place was flooded with foreigners looking for work.

Now that the jobs have dried up a lot have gone home or are still staying but are having trouble finding work. I reckon by next year there'll be even less here and we will then get a real look into how bad things are as they may count towards a lot of the unemployment figures.

"Nobody's buying,there's no point trying to do anything,lets all go on the dole and scab money instead."
    Is that not good enough reason?

yes, that's exactly what i said.

My point was that starting a business in recession is even riskier than normal and not everyone is is suited to being an entrepreneur. Your solution of "everyone start their own business" is simplistic, childish and unrealistic.

Typically, it's an idea that only serves to give you more oppertunities to moan how everyones a hippy or a slacker or whatever contrived bullshit you're whining about today, and how you're sooooo awesome.

If you're so damn fantastic degsy, quit that job of yours and start a company, employ some people, don't just sit there doing nothing, show us all how amazing you are.

SWL wrote:
    Great idea lets all sit on our arses and waits for somebody else to wave a magic wand - that will get us out of this recession we can claim SW payments while we wait too great

All together now hocus pocas

Hey, don't let what I actually wrote factor in your response at all. That'd be crazy.

• Advertisement

yes, that's exactly what i said.

My point was that starting a business in recession is even riskier than normal and not everyone is is suited to being an entrepreneur. Your solution of "everyone start their own business" is simplistic, childish and unrealistic.

So what your solution then, because if individuals don't take risks, everybody is in trouble. We can't let people sit on their backside on SW, waiting for someone else to do something

Not to mention incredibly unhelpful and unconstructive, particularly coming from a person who is in full-time public sector employment.
    Typically, it's an idea that only serves to give you more oppertunities to moan how everyones a hippy or a slacker or whatever contrived bullshit you're whining about today, and how you're sooooo awesome.
    I'd imagine that's the sole reason for posting it.
    SWL wrote: »
    So what your solution then
    Keep looking for jobs?

Keep looking for jobs?

How can there be jobs when nobody is going to create them, i/e/ take a risk rather than take SW payments

So what your solution then, because if individuals don't take risks, everybody is in trouble. We can't let people sit on their backside on SW, waiting for someone else to do something

So people should try and start businesses regardless of the fact that now is a horrible time to do so, and risk massive amounts of debt (if you can get the banks to lend to you at all) and probable failure because in your mind the only alternative is the sterotype of the lazy dole bum.

Simply stunning.

Let me say this then, if there is a single solution, it's not as simple as "Start a company, stupid".

So people should try and start businesses regardless of the fact that now is a horrible time to do so, and risk massive amounts of debt (if you can get the banks to lend to you at all) and probable failure because in your mind the only alternative is the sterotype of the lazy dole bum.

Simply stunning.

Let me say this then, if there is a single solution, it's not as simple as "Start a company, stupid".

It’s easy to criticise - but you still have not given me a solution

It is indeed easy to criticise people being on the dole when you're in a full-time position yourself.

• Advertisement

It is indeed easy to criticise people being on the dole when you're in a full-time position yourself.

Nice try - but try coming up with a solution to the problem, rather than redirecting the question, not everybody can go on the dole, the country can't afford it and it up to us to get the economy back on track through proactive measures. far too easy to wait for somebosy else to take the [/COOR]
    Initiative.[/COLOR[/COLOR
    [COLOR=black

You are also assuming a lot regarding my own employment position.[/OLOR]

It’s easy to criticise - but you still have not given me a solution

If i had a workable (and apparantly, it needs to be instant too) solution to the worlds financial woes, i wouldn't give them to you.

Frankly, it's going to take time anything up to 10 years for this to end, and there is no one solution. The last time we had anything like this, the new deal in the states seemed to be the best way out of it, however for ireland i don't think that'd work as well, it's not the 1930's anymore, the world is a different place.

Economics is a complex beast and simplistic 'solutions' are indeed very easy to criticise, that's because they're wrong.

If i had a workable (and apparantly, it needs to be instant too) solution to the worlds financial woes, i wouldn't give them to you.

Frankly, it's going to take time anything up to 10 years for this to end, and there is no one solution. The last time we had anything like this, the new deal in the states seemed to be the best way out of it, however for ireland i don't think that'd work as well, it's not the 1930's anymore, the world is a different place.

Economics is a complex beast and simplistic 'solutions' are indeed very easy to criticise, that's because they're wrong.

Economics can be very simple on a local level (I would know) you create jobs = tax revenues. the whole IDA model is set up on this, the overall problems may take 5 -10 years but plenty of people have set up business in all sectors during a recession and when the up turn came they were laughing.[/CLOR]

So too suggest that because we are in a recession we should shoot down anybody with ambition and drive to set up a business is not only futile but idiotic. Please tell me who are going to create the jobs in this country? or do we sit around for 10 years and wait for the US to bail us out again[/COOR]

So too suggest that because we are in a recession we should shoot down anybody with ambition and drive to set up a business is not only futile but idiotic. Please tell me who are going to create the jobs in this country? or do we sit around for 10 years and wait for the US to bail us out again

Once again, read what i wrote, if anyone wants to set up a business, go for it. I think they'd be mad to, but at no point did i say nobody should. I just questioned the wisdom of doing so, and it's worth as a solution to our current problem.

My point, and this is the third time i've had to say it, is that simply going "set up a business, dammit" and critisizing those who don't is
    a] suggesting a simplistic solution to a complex problem and it won't work, at least right now.
    b] assuming that everyone is cut out to be an entreprenuer and that if you aren't, less than subtley implying that you're a feckless bum.

and point b really is the shittiest part.

At the risk of an ad hominem, can it take it you've set up your own business, otherwise it'd be very rich of you to berate others not taking the initiative when you have not done so yourself.

At the risk of an ad hominem, can it take it you've set up your own business, otherwise it'd be very rich of you to berate others not taking the initiative when you have not done so yourself.

Yes i have

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement