Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Meridian/ The Road

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Hey

So i just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and i really enjoyed it. The style of writing really suited the story, i read it fairly quickley, in about 3 days. I am thinking of reading Blood Meridian also by McCarthy next. What do people think who have read both, i think i will enjoy it, the story sounds good. Also what about the length? is it as short as the road, or will it take longer to read. Just curious really, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It takes longer to read because the language used is quite different (and I think it is longer overall anyway), Blood Meridian is quite biblical so it is hard to get into the same flow as you can with The Road. I loved Blood Meridian and would have a hard time picking between that and The Road as being my favourite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hehe, yeah you definitely won't read it in 3 days anyway. It took me about a few weeks. You really need to take your time with it. It's the kinda book that may need a second read to really appreciate as well.

I'm not sure it's a good follow-up read to The Road. Maybe read some of his other stuff first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

thanks for the replies guys. I fugured it would be written differently, as i couldnt imagine him writing all his books like the way he wrote the road. Maybe i will wait a while before i read it, read some other stuff first.

Also, whats your guys opinions on some of his other book? have you read any?

The Border Trilogy is incredible, you can get it all in one volume or separately (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain in that order). It's a bit slower paced than The Road or No Country for Old Men (also worth reading but I'd leave it for a while if you've seen the film) and again it is written in a very old fashioned style but it is superb. The Orchard Keeper and Child of God are good but not in the same league as his later novels. Haven't read Outer Dark or Suttree yet.

• Advertisement

John wrote: »
    The Border Trilogy is incredible, you can get it all in one volume or separately (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain in that order). It's a bit slower paced than The Road or No Country for Old Men (also worth reading but I'd leave it for a while if you've seen the film) and again it is written in a very old fashioned style but it is superb. The Orchard Keeper and Child of God are good but not in the same league as his later novels. Haven't read Outer Dark or Suttree yet.

cool, i've seen The Border Trilogy in shops and wondered about it. maybe i will pick them up and give em a go

Glad to be of help, hope you enjoy these books as much as I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 J_Kerr

I couldn't finish Blood Meridian, too heavy going for my liking. I only really liked The Road after the second reading. I'm thinking of getting Outer Dark or Child of God next but I think they are very bleak. Looking forward to the film of The Road, whenever they decide to release it.

Advertisement