Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 year old and a camera

• 23-04-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Well my 2 year old dropped my camera, my good camera, which was hooked up to the desktop downloading pics, camera works fine but the lens popped off, one of the plasticy rims on the lens which keeps it attached to the body broke, the lens works fine but will hang off the body, can this be repaired or is my lens now obsolete?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gorilla_image

sounds repairable, but if it's a cheap kit lens, might be better to buy a new(ish) one, a mate of mine bought a used Nikkor 18-55 VR for €70. Check out Dublin Camera Exchange, Conns and Berminghams, they normally have good deals... You could always use it as an excuse to upgrade to a better lens:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Id say it can be repaired, there's a guy in town who does good work but i'll have to root out his name

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well my 2 year old dropped my camera, my good camera

Sorry to hear that Rach. It's sad to lose a child so young. :eek: :pac:

Which lens is it?

What's the excess on your Insurance? (I am assumimng you have cover as you are working)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

If all else fails, dremel off the broken bits, wrap some light tight makeshift bellows around the thing between the mount and the remains of the lens body and you have a cheap tilt lens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

well I dont have kit insurance, i got pi with quinn direct and hadnt started the kit yet, my fault really, i just got up to answer the door, just looked at adverts and theres a few there, I'm constantly upgrading too so yep will most likely get a better lens but I am attached to this one, I always go back to it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry to hear that. What lense was it?
    I wonder if lense backs can be exchanged from one camera to another?
    I know of a vivitar, with a nikon mount, that could be used as a donar :D

Failing that, I've a Nikon 18-55 VR that came with a D60, and an old Sigma 28-200 D Aspherical, that I never use much. You're welcome to a loan, until you get yours fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hi Rach,
    Sorry to hear about the lens. This happened to me last christmas, only it was my fault leaving the camera on the locker, rushing to catch the kids faces when they saw what santa brought, only the strap caught on the locker and popped off my kit lens.

I found the couple of plastic pieces that hold the lens to the camera which snapped off. Pickup a bottle of super glue and glued it back together holding the plastic bits with a tweesers while the glue set. What had I to loose. Anyway I still have it and it works fine.

So go grab some super glue, a tweesers and give it a go. A new lens will cost more than the glue, and getting it professionally repaired it probably not economical.

Hi Rach,
    Sorry to hear about the lens. This happened to me last christmas, only it was my fault leaving the camera on the locker, rushing to catch the kids faces when they saw what santa brought, only the strap caught on the locker and popped off my kit lens.

I found the couple of plastic pieces that hold the lens to the camera which snapped off. Pickup a bottle of super glue and glued it back together holding the plastic bits with a tweesers while the glue set. What had I to loose. Anyway I still have it and it works fine.

So go grab some super glue, a tweesers and give it a go. A new lens will cost more than the glue, and getting it professionally repaired it probably not economical.

lol I did exactly that but it didnt hold, mind I used it very sparingly, sure I'll try again, I have sorted out anyway a nikon 28 - 80 2.8 so if superglue fails at least I tried.

Also moved my insurance to photoshield and from Monday I will have all my equipment insured just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but that is one of the reasons i use a card reader to download my photos. hope everything works out ok

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your mishap, but that is one of the reasons i use a card reader to download my photos. hope everything works out ok

Lesson well learnt now, I saw my life flash before my eyes.

Funny though, same 2 year old (nightmare) caused a leak in the ceiling today! Any offers for her???????:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Funny though, same 2 year old (nightmare) caused a leak in the ceiling today! Any offers for her???????:o

All offers by PM or else definitely one for adverts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'll swap you a six and 13 yr old who just got drum kits each :eek:

Do you have home contents insurance? It might well be covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

sineadw wrote: »
    I'll swap you a six and 13 yr old who just got drum kits each :eek:

You're gonna be popular - ain't you ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Any offers for her???????:o

How many Actuations has he had?

Is she clean?

What else in included in the sale?

As she is obviously not compatible with Nikon Gear I think I will pass. :D

Oh my god Sinead how about you send them here and I go live with you, my hubbie would love drummer kids! We could leave the messy noisy ones here, aka hubbie, your 2 and my youngest and all us nice quiet girls can go to yours, me you and my sweet 6 yr old!

I am having such an unlucky week I cant wait for it to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Just shows you, 2 year old not only demand 100% attention, they also require it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

thats bad luck!!!

on a lighter note, maybe you could get them their own camera? and perhaps they'd leave yours alone :)

if you want a further cringe, see my reply to the lost/damaged kit thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Did you manage to get the lense fixed?
    What kind of lense is it, as it may be easy to order a replacement part?

Advertisement